Thread: Help! Trying to run original x-box game on 360

Thanks

Default Help! Trying to run original x-box game on 360

I have just again purchased a copy of Phantom Crash but it is crashing / freezing consistently after the first ten minutes. I am using it on a 360 but it's really not working that great, that and the CD hasn't been properly taken care of by the owner I just got it from.

I think the only way to get it going may be on my PC / burnt copy. Problem is I have no idea where to start on how to burn an iso and how to make it X-box compatible.... I have the Phantom Crash files however I have no idea how to proceed to making an actual ISO for the 360. I own an original xbox as I've purchased it with a few games but gave it to my little cousin (couldn't resist plus why the need for two x-boxes).

I reaaaally wish the game wasn't given away back in the day .

Thanks
    EP Points

Not too sure about doing burned games on the 360, but consulting this compatibility list on wikipedia it seems the PAL version specifically has the crashing issue you're describing;

Low framerate and graphical glitches. PAL version crashes often about 10 to 15 minutes into the match.
    That said if you are using the pal version it isn't likely you'll be able to get it working even if you were able to use a burned disc :/
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Would switching HDMI cords and putting it on TV instead of HDTV help?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kwik12 View Post
    Would switching HDMI cords and putting it on TV instead of HDTV help?
    Possibly, but if it isn't fully compatible then you may still see glitches anyway
    The wiki list has the NA version in green, and the PAL version in green for 50Hz only. But yeah it has that note that MaslowK quoted.

You shouldn't have given away your original Xbox imo, as playing those titles on 360 is emulation.
    Real hardware is always more reliable. I've never played any of my Xbox titles on my 360, you can't install them to HDD anyway so you're just wasting the laser.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I love my XBOX, upgraded the standard 8 to 10 GB HDD to a 750GB HDD (the biggest IDE HDD you can get, otherwise you would need a mini IDE to SATA converter installed as well, to be able to install an even larger HDD)

All my games are installed to HDD I even use Component HD cables and hacked in 480p@60Hz mode into a few 480i@60Hz only games, as well as tons of other stuff, there are even a couple of games that run in 720p@60Hz and 1080i@60Hz (not that many though most run at 480i/p@60Hz or 576i@50Hz for a few PAL only games, P.S. my XBOX is PAL though most of what I run is NTSC) I also use a PS2 to XBOX controller converter as I am still not happy with the original xbox controllers, plus I emulate a bit on the XBOX including a few PSX games

I do own a 360 as well, but I don't play Xbox games on it, just 360 games as above the compat is far from perfect there are plenty of games that won't run well on a 360 that are made for the original XBOX (A cable hook up change will make little difference to it)

The version of XBOX to avoid is the 1.6 model that has issues with a couple of games shown a scrambled image if you have 480p enabled so you are forced to run those games at 480i, but that is only if you use Component HD cables (that are really very hard to find quality ones for now anyway, cheap ones tend to have a 1 or 2 second signal loss at random times, no good for gaming or watching video's or anything else for that matter, I managed to get the official one second hand that is more of a box that you have to buy component cables for separate, but I went for high grade cables just for that)

The temptation to make fun of the game having Crash in the name and what happens when you play it on 360
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-December-2013 at 16:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

The temptation to make fun of the game having Crash in the name and what happens when you play it on 360
    .... haha I know.

Possibly, but if it isn't fully compatible then you may still see glitches anyway
    The wiki list has the NA version in green, and the PAL version in green for 50Hz only. But yeah it has that note that MaslowK quoted.
    I have honestly no idea what you are talking about but I have the feeling simply burning an ISO to a disk isn't that simple for an original xbox to read. It has to be modified in order for it to happen right?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kwik12 View Post
    .... haha I know.

I have honestly no idea what you are talking about but I have the feeling simply burning an ISO to a disk isn't that simple for an original xbox to read. It has to be modified in order for it to happen right?
    The console needs to be modified to play backups, either a softmod or hardmod.
    If you mod then you don't necessarily have to burn a disc...you can ftp the game to the Xbox and run it from the HDD.

The stuff I was talking about:
    When I mentioned NA and PAL I was talking about region formats...I guess I should've said NTSC-U instead of NA but whatever.
    I won't bother trying to explain PAL 50Hz.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Soft moddery lets you play anything you like

Yeah best way to get the games on an HDD is via FTP, you can run from a burned DVD but the XBOX disc drives are a little sucky but that does require the machine to be modded, again a software mod is enough

You can sex the xbox up a bit while your at it and give it a nice looking skin for your custom dashboard

The Youtube vid is my Xbox Dash, though I am sorry about the quality I don't own a HD recorder, I just use a cheap AV capture USB device, it was originally to show off my PSO work, but that has changed a lot since I made that vid [it's only the first 29 or something seconds that shows the dash]

My Dashboard is XBMC (XBOX Media Center) I have that skinned with an older 360 blade style skin

Poor DL

NA North America = NTSC-U
    EU Europe = PAL-E

576i@50Hz = PAL-E Display
    480i/p@60Hz = PAL-E 60 or NTSC-U
    720p@60Hz = PAL-E 60 or NTSC-U
    1080i@60Hz = PAL-E 60 or NTSC-U

Without HD component cables games will only work in 2 video modes 576i@50Hz and 480i@60Hz

Don't worry there is a Video Mod for the Xbox that lets you set the xbox to NTSC video mode I do recommend that you do that otherwise some games do mess up, it does have a downside as the xbox will no longer be able to boot up PAL-E original discs (Not an issue if you run everything from HDD though ) though you can switch back easy enough, it's not complicated, at least the video mode switch isn't hard to do.

If you are interested in modding the beast I will give you some info if you like

P.S. there are apx 950 english XBOX games both NTSC-U games and a handful of PAL-E exclusive games that did not make it onto NTSC-U
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-December-2013 at 00:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR