Thread: Freezing problem of Mega CD games

Thanks

Default Freezing problem of Mega CD games

I've tried some Mega CD games of 2 different versions, one in original image size i.e. with 1411kbps wav or mp3, another with smaller mp3 files e.g. 128kbps. The problem is that the original larger CD image freezes on both Kega Fusion and Gens, even if I have activated "perfect sync". 2 examples are given below.

Lunar - The Silver Star
    Version 1: 1 cue + 1 iso + 51 ape (total 245MB)
    Version 2: 1 iso + 51 mp3 (total 50.6MB)

Tenka Fubu
    Version 1: 1 cue + 1 iso + 18 wav (total 562MB)
    Version 2: 1 cue + 1 iso + 18 mp3 (total 141MB)

I don't know if Ver 2 should be called a RIP version, coz they apparently include movies, bgm and se. If so, is there any way to run Ver 1?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

use this to decompress those APE files,

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

and anything with MP3s is a Rip.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As above

The term Rip does not always = something taken out or even any quality loss, all dreamcast CD converts from GD are called rips but alot of those don't have anything missing or re-sampled, but because the format has changed we call it a rip as it's not in it's original format and ripped from the GD-Rom/GD-Rom dump, another example are the Phantasy Star text adventures Roms for the megadrive/Genesis that are ripped from a Sega CD, the Roms are perfect nothing removed or re-sampled but the process if getting those is called ripping

Mp3's are a lossy codec so there is loss in quality though this may be very very small and not noticable but as far as Sega CD games and some other console CD based games go that in itself can cause issues as lossy codecs make the games loose sync even with perfect sync options enabled, though most the time mp3 will be fine

Ape and wav are lossless codec's so there is no sound quality loss

converting mp3 to wav does not fix the quality once it's in mp3 format you can't recover it

Ape is lossless so converting to Wav is fine for those, nothing is gained or lost during the convert either way

Again as above neither Gens nore Kega support Ape files they need converting to Wav (I would use Kega over Gens, mostly because Kega support CD-32X that Gens does not)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-September-2013 at 18:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thx! I can now run Lunar TSS after converting the ape to wav. Tenka Fubu also seems ok now, though it lags quite often.
    Just another off-topic question. I have two versions of Tengai Makyou for PCE CD (turbo CD). One is bin + cue of size 351MB, the other is cue + iso + wav, of total size 192MB. What could be the possible reason for the large difference in size?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are three Tengai Makyou games
    Fuun Kabuki Den, Ziria & Dennou Karakuri Kakutouden

Could be you have two different games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2013 at 17:56.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Both are the 1st of the series i.e. Ziria, and the wav is of 1411kbps

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

CD-DA is 44100Hz so the wav's sound like they are downsampled, possibly created from mp3 source files rather than the actual disc

44100Hz = 16bit 44.1 kps aka 44,100 samples per second
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-September-2013 at 10:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]