Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Any should work

Myself I like to use a PS2 or PSX pad with a PS2 to USB converter also known as a PS2 to PS3 converter as they work with the PS3 USB as well as PC USB

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I've always liked using my wired 360 controller despite the trigger issue when pressing both at the same time for let's say escaping a battle in a Final Fantasy game but then again you can just switch l2 and r2 for l1 and r1. Not a big deal.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cost wise depends what you have

360 pad wired will work directly as a HID device, though yeah it has the issue that the lower deep triggers can't be pressed at the same time
    PS2/PSX pad to USB converter will also work directly, the converters are very cheap (Look for the PS2 to PS3 converters before searching PS2 to USB as the direct to PS3 ones tend to be cheaper) [You can get USB converters for just about any type of console controller, funny enough the PSX/PS2 to USB ones are the cheapest ones]
    360 pad wireless these do not work out the box, there is a Blue Tooth hub required for these (I have heard though that there is a hacked driver that will work with a standard blue tooth dongle but do a bit of research first) same issue as the wired pads
    PS3 wireless I have not tested this myself, due to having a PS2/PSX to USB for many years before the PS3 arrived, but I have heard you can use that
    Wii controller sounds bad but if you have a classic controller it's not so bad, all you need is a blue tooth dongle or have blue tooth built in (I never liked doing that, myself I had connection problems)

Real console controllers tend to be much better than PC controllers in general though (it's the quality of build not the placement of the buttons, console controllers are built to last and take a good hammering), official ones anyway.

To sum it up though any HID controller is going to work fine with ePSXe.

To have dual Shock aka rumble on any pad you will need extra drivers.

Buying new (as in you have no controllers) I would say a PS2 pad or a PSX pad, plus a USB converter would be the cheapest way.

PS2 pad aka Dual Shock 2 pad new $20 apx (official pad)
    PS2 to PS3 $2 apx (unofficial product, there is no real official ones, but they all work as good as each other, they are to USB as that is what the PS3 uses asides from blue tooth)

360 wired pad new $28 apx (official pad)

You can always go for a second hand pad but you don't know if they will still be fully functional or how dirty they are inside.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-September-2013 at 18:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Cost wise depends what you have

360 pad wired will work directly as a HID device, though yeah it has the issue that the lower deep triggers can't be pressed at the same time
    PS2/PSX pad to USB converter will also work directly, the converters are very cheap (Look for the PS2 to PS3 converters before searching PS2 to USB as the direct to PS3 ones tend to be cheaper) [You can get USB converters for just about any type of console controller, funny enough the PSX/PS2 to USB ones are the cheapest ones]
    360 pad wireless these do not work out the box, there is a Blue Tooth hub required for these (I have heard though that there is a hacked driver that will work with a standard blue tooth dongle but do a bit of research first) same issue as the wired pads
    PS3 wireless I have not tested this myself, due to having a PS2/PSX to USB for many years before the PS3 arrived, but I have heard you can use that
    Wii controller sounds bad but if you have a classic controller it's not so bad, all you need is a blue tooth dongle or have blue tooth built in (I never liked doing that, myself I had connection problems)

Real console controllers tend to be much better than PC controllers in general though (it's the quality of build not the placement of the buttons, console controllers are built to last and take a good hammering), official ones anyway.

To sum it up though any HID controller is going to work fine with ePSXe.

To have dual Shock aka rumble on any pad you will need extra drivers.

Buying new (as in you have no controllers) I would say a PS2 pad or a PSX pad, plus a USB converter would be the cheapest way.

PS2 pad aka Dual Shock 2 pad new $20 apx (official pad)
    PS2 to PS3 $2 apx (unofficial product, there is no real official ones, but they all work as good as each other, they are to USB as that is what the PS3 uses asides from blue tooth)

360 wired pad new $28 apx (official pad)

You can always go for a second hand pad but you don't know if they will still be fully functional or how dirty they are inside.
    Thanks so much got ps3 pad working cheers

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Your welcome and the PS3 pad does have the perfect layout for PSX games

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I'm having a problem where whether or not I have my controller connected, the down button is always being pressed by itself when setting up controls or trying to play a game. It's weird, I don't have this problem on any other emulators. And this both ePSXe 1.8 and 1.9.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Please create your own thread, do not revive old threads.

Thread closed.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]