Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default PS2 DVD9 games DVD5 Rip notes

For now these are basic notes, I need to find these games and make some easy to use kits I do already have a bunch though that are just about ready for use

Note: I am only looking at english games

24: The Game [NTSC-U] (DVD5) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Currently no kit, just go for the NTSC version]
    50 Cent: Bulletproof [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD5)?? [Currently no kit, I seen seen a very crude guide though]
    ATV Offroad Fury 4 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Currently no kit]
    Band Hero [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Currently no kit]
    Champions of Norrath - Realms of EverQuest [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have the basics to make a kit for the NTSC-U version]
    Dynasty Warriors 6 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have the basics to make a working kit]
    Forbidden Siren 2 [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have 2 kits for this... English voices only [kit to simply/ re-do (this one has re-sampled FMV.. not sure why)] & Jap Voices only [Kit simplified]]
    Genji: Dawn of the Samurai [NTSC-U] (DVD5)?? / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Currently no kit, just go for the NTSC version]
    God of War [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have a DVD9 to DVD5 (rips the Bonus FMV out, but keeps all in-game FMV, you can always do a second DVD5 with the Bonus FMV kept and some In-game FMV removed or downsampled)]
    God of War II [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have a DVD9 to 2xDVD5 Kit]
    Gran Turismo 4 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have a DVD9 to DVD5 kit (50% down sample) I don't know if this is worth trying to do a 2 disc kit]
    Gran Turismo Concept: 2002 Tokyo-Geneva [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Currently has no kit]
    Guitar Hero 5 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Not looked for a kit yet]
    Guitar Hero: Metallica [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Not looked for a kit yet]
    Guitar Hero Smash Hits [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Not looked for a kit yet]
    Guitar Hero: Van Halen [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Not looked for a kit yet]
    Guitar Hero World Tour [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Not looked for a kit yet]
    Guy Game, The [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [I have the basics to make a 3 Disc Rip kit, with a scene patch...]
    Kessen III [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I do have a kit but I want to improve it and include all needed files (85% downsampling)]
    Madden NFL 2005 Collector's Edition [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [The original version is DVD5]
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have a couple of 2xDVD5 rips will re-do them though]
    Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD5)?? [I have a tutorial I should be able to make into a kit]
    Rock Band [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Not looked for a kit yet]
    Rock Band 2 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Not looked for a kit yet]
    Rogue Galaxy [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have a [NTSC-U] DVD9 to DVD5 kit but not looked at fully yet]
    Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [Currently no kit]
    Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Currently no kit]
    SingStar Bollywood [PAL-E] (DVD9) (Can't see me bothering with this one at all]
    Wild Arms: Alter Code F [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [I have a tutorial for this that makes a single DVD5 with down sampling] (I am testing a kit I made for 2xDVD5 [no re-sampling involved])
    Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [I have a DVD9 to 3xDVD5 rip kit] (I already done a simplified kit for the NTSC-U version to 3xDVD5)
    Yakuza 2 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) [I have a DVD9 to 2xDVD5 rip kit] (I already done a simplified kit for the NTSC-U version to 2xDVD5)

I want to go through all the kits myself as well before uploading to make sure they work easy enough, those that get a big too complicated I will simplify as much as I can

But I have a few uploaded already by request, note that these are uploaded as is and I have yet to look at these files, there will be extra tools needed for most of these

GodOfWarTutorial.zip
    GodOfWar.zip (Contains the God of War tool)
    God of War 2 [NTSC-U] DVD9 to 2xDVD5 kit.rar
    Gran Turismo 4 [ALL] DVD9 to DVD5 kit.rar
    Kessen_3_DVD5_Kit.rar (inc. Apache3preview used to extract both layers of DVD9 games & pssdown)
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance [NTSC-U] DVD9 to 2xDVD5 kit.zip
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance [NTSC-U] DVD9 to 2xDVD5 kit alt.zip

The kits I plan to do will have all the needed progs included, the kits that are fine will have the missing needed progs added to them.

This is not planned for right away though..

I am taking my time at the moment as I have just gone through a lot of testing on the xbox, with more to come, that I left until last because I know it will be a time consuming task.

I don't know if I will bother with any of the music games yet

There are also a few games that got a DVD5 in one country but a DVD9 in the other

As I'm not fussed about PAL vs NTSC myself as I could run both without patches but NTSC users may find issues running PAL games, I will only rip kit those that are NTSC (DVD9) with a PAL (DVD5) version but not if it's NTSC (DVD5) and PAL (DVD9), in most cases I will be doing the NTSC version only.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-September-2013 at 21:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great news, really I needed something like this . I'll be interested in some of the non-downsampled files such as GOWs and Gran Turismo 4.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Both the God of War ones have no downsampling

God of War the first one has bonus movies removed but you can use the same kit/instructions to make the game just have the bonus vids that you can use as a second disc to view those, though I would still keep all the in-game FMV and just downsample it as small as it can go (very very poor quality but who cares it's a second disc only intended for the bonus FMV's)

GT4 I don't see a great need for it, it's not like it's a story driven game that relies heavy on FMV scenes like God of War

But when I get round to it I can have a look and see if there is a possible way to have that on 2 discs, keeping all the FMV in tact
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-September-2013 at 21:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

released 2 kits today
    Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht [NTSC-U] DVD9 to 3xDVD5 kit Ripped: Nothing Downsampled: Nothing
    Yakuza 2 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] DVD9 to 2xDVD5 kit Ripped: Nothing Downsampled: Nothing
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-September-2013 at 15:54.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

New kit on it's way just burning it off now, hopefully I got it working first try

Anyway this is a kit that makes Wild Arms Alter Code F [NTSC-U] DVD9 to 2xDVD5

This kit was made from scratch as there was only a tutorial to make a single DVD5 rip with lots of down-sampling and I know how much down sampling is hated

At the moment I have no idea what the change point is but I will find out soon enough

What was done is...

re-linked all duplicated files so only one copy of each is used and the second copy is linked back to the first
    on DVD 1 I dummied all the vids that I used for DVD 2 in DVD 1 and linked those to the intro so if you play too far on DVD 1 is should start playing the intro for the next video and videos after.
    on DVD 2 I dummied all the vids that I used for DVD 1 in DVD 2 and linked those to the intro so if you change discs too soon or play from the start on DVD 2 it will use the intro vid for all the vids up to the point that DVD 2 is ment to be played from then revert back to the proper vids.

The only real difference between DVD 1 & 2 is the FMV, any missing FMV from one DVD is linked to the intro FMV, but the missing FMV from one DVD is there in the other DVD and vice versa, so at the end of the day nothing is missing.

In the end this has nothing ripped or down-sampled and the kit is again very very simple to use

The two previous kits I released are just simplified versions of kits already out so this one had taken a lot more work to get done as it is done from scratch.

I am testing with ESR by the way as I only use a soft mod myself, anyway the game has burned and I just booted up the first disc, so I guess I should play it a bit.

EDIT:... hmm may of messed something up...we will see but looks like battle effects are FMV's I will check later though these may not be in the main pss files but in the btl folder that is fine as a full set is on both DVD's but if it's among the pss files in pss0 or pss1 folders I will have to re-think the rip

EDIT:... Seems I'm fine for battle FMV's they are not in the files in the PSS0 or PSS1 folders, panics over for that, I quickly scanned through them to check.

Anyway just got up to playing the main part of the game, played Prologues 1 to 3 through just fine, yeah I'm still on DVD 1

Uh big ass game, still it's kinda fun so far... yeah still on my First DVD so not even sure if the second one will work correctly until I get onto it and the first FMV vid is played, the battle FMV seems to be on both DVD's though thankfully in a single pss file called GUARDIAN.PSS (extracting only shows one but just by the file size of what is extract compared to the original file I can tell there is multi vids stored in it) in the BGM0 folder and the BGM1 folder that is linked to the BGM0 folder as it's a duplicated folder of files anyway.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-September-2013 at 22:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey Zorlon, what tool do you use to down-sample PSS MPEG's? I run games from USB with OPL and ESDL and sometimes the FMV's are a bit jumpy, I have a PS2 slim so HDD is out of the question because I prefer not to solder anything to it. I don't have a crossover cable yet either.

Aside from that Midnight Club 3 DE Remix when dumped is 7.95Gb which is ridiculous, when compressed it drops to under 4 gigs.
    My Video Game Codes

“Evil cannot create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what was invented or created by the forces of good.”

― JRR Tolkien

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm not down sampling anything that's the whole point of my kits

but the tools to use are pssdown and pssplex (install ppsplex first it has all the drivers needed with it pssdown tends to have some missing and the single driver is comes with is not the only extra file needed so installing pssplex fixes that)

by the way I run these on my slim from disc and no soldering needed no disc swapping needed just FMCB & ESR that both autoboot anyway and run from

Anyway you can find the tools at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87213

please create your own thread next time I do look at all the threads here eventually.

I'm still testing Wild Arms: Alter Code-F apx 8 FMV's have yet to be played on the first disc (big game :/)

Completed the game now, changed my mind I am not going to play every extra dungeon and test every EX File, the ones I did test will work from either disc but if there are any FMV EX. Files. these will work from either disc but if the wrong FMV is played you have the wrong disc in for the Movie file, as the Movies are the only thing that got limited per disc (other FMV's that are not on DVD 1 are re-linked to a single FMV vice vera on DVD 2, but nothing is removed) all other files are present in both DVD's
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-September-2013 at 18:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wild Arms: Alter Code F [NTSC-U] (DVD9)

This is for the DVD9 to DVD5 kit notes, this is an original kit as the tutorial is for a single DVD5 with poor quality down-sampled FMV

Finally made it to the suspected change point I just need to verify it by playing up to the next FMV point

Edit verified this the next FMV played the correct video, my Swap point worked like a charm.

The code has what I have noted down for the change point

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. I will play this through now seen as I played so far into it now I might as well make sure this works to the very end of the game

I may even test the extra content out as well, like EX Files ect...

EDIT:-

Completed the game now from start to end, tested a few EX Files but I don't want to play this any more so I only have a few of them but these do work from either DVD, but if there are Movie ones these will only work correctly if the correct DVD is inserted for that Movie file, it will not crash if you play the wrong Movie though it will just play the wrong Movie instead.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-September-2013 at 18:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Created so far

Forgotten Siren 2 [PAL-E] (DVD9) [Simplified an already existing kit DVD5x1 (Jap Dub only used, so make sure Jap voices are selected in Options)]

Wild Arms: Alter Code F [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [Created a new kit to DVD5x2] TESTED FULLY

Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [Simplified an already existing kit to DVD5x3] UPLOADED

Yakuza 2 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) [Simplified an already existing kit to DVD5x2] UPLOADED

Skipped so far

Gran Turismo 4 [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) I should be able to do this but as I do not know when the FMV is played I can't make a kit for it, otherwise you will be swapping the disc round throughout to get the FMV to play if I just made a kit blind, though I may come back to it and use a Game Guide to figure out when each FMV might be played, if no one is willing to just tell me. (I can provide a list of FMV's by name as these are named so you should be able to tell what they contain... e.g. opening_en.pss is kinda obvious)

Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9) I couldn't see a way of doing this one.

SingStar Bollywood [PAL-E] (DVD9) I can't see any real interest in this one.

Working on next

Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love [NTSC-U] (DVD9) I think I have this one figured I will do a kit for both discs included with this game
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-September-2013 at 13:20.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by grifterb View Post
    Great news, really I needed something like this . I'll be interested in some of the non-downsampled files such as GOWs and Gran Turismo 4.
    Looked at the Gran Turismo 4 DVD9 and the tools used to rip the game and I was not able to see a way to make this into 2 DVD5's I'm not saying it is impossible or anything but without knowing when every single FMV is played I have now way to split this onto 2 DVD5 discs

You need to drop 60 GB at least possibly more to make this fit onto DVD5 discs to do that you would need to 0byte dummy a bunch of movie files or dummy the movies with smaller movie files on each disc (different ones on each) the movie files are stored in a single file

As I don't know when each and every movie is played it is not possible for me to create a kit

But if you want to extract the movie files container and then extract all the PSS files view every movie file o your PC and tell me the exact order they are played I could make a kit that will make the game run from 2 DVD5 discs, maybe 3 and not have anything re-sampled, you will have to tell me if any of the movies play when you start the game up or go to load a game as they would be needed on both/all discs

EDIT:-

Also looked at Samurai Warriors 2 Xtreme Legends but at the moment I have no way of making this into 2 DVD5's as the file formats are not known to me, I need a munge tool for this game, to extract some of the files further
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-September-2013 at 23:28.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sakura Wars So Long, My Love [NTSC-U]

This game has never had a proper DVD 5 rip done as of yet (it was only let out as a single DVD 5 but this was just a copy of the first layer so you could only play to the end of Chapter 6 and not be able to load the next chapter) and I don't know if I can do any better, lets have a go though .

This one comes with 2 DVD9 discs one has Jap Dubs/Eng Subs, the other has Eng Dubs/Eng Subs

For now I am looking at the one with Jab Dubs/Eng Subs.

The first test is just to see if I can boot DVD#2 to show the main menu, if it can't then I will drop this game for the time being as with a lot of games this one uses a huge container files, but I don't have any info on how to extract and rebuild the file, the files in question are LAYER0.CVM & LAYER1.CVM these are almost the same file size so for my test I have zeroed the LAYER0.CVM and have the original LAYER1.CVM then re-linked LAYER0.CVM to LAYER1.CVM and hope that the menu is not stored within LAYER0.CVM. if this works then Ep7 should be started from DVD 2 as a single layer Rip will save at the end of Ep6 but not let you continue game play (it is handy that it saves just before the next Ep as it makes the change point easy to note), I wish I had a save at that point to make testing easy though, but I don't.

EDIT:

I managed to find a save that had a save for every Ep, very very handy for testing (At least it will not takes days of testing like Wild Arms did)

I am a genius even if I do say so myself, this has worked out perfect, I will continue and make a kit to do both versions to 2 DVD5's so that's the Jap Dub/Eng Sub version DVD9 to DVD5x2 and the Eng Dub/Eng Sub version DVD9 to DVD5x2, I will test the first DVD aswell before patting myself on the back fully to check out the save instructions correctly and see if it does create a save at the end of Ep6 to create a Ep7 save before actually loading any Ep7 data

On to testing DVD#1 and loading a save for Ep6 preferably near the end and create a fresh Ep7 save and make sure I can then reboot from DVD#2 and continue the game

EDIT:

Created all the patches for DVD#1 now
    Burning DVD#1 now
    Kits have not been created yet but will follow soon if everything works

EDIT:

Play testing DVD#1 from Ep6, though may need to restart the battle as I had no idea how you played it in the first round lol
    Noticed I could change discs and do a soft reset (saying that I do not have any lid censors blocked, so the toc is re-read)

EDIT:

Yup genius I tell ya...
    Save created at the end of Ep6 (You get an option to Save at the end of each Ep) changed DVD to #2 soft reset (hard reset would work just the same, you just need to refresh the disc Toc)
    Load the save I just created to start Ep7, the game continues from where it left off
    All that is left to make this into a kit and do the same for the other version that is Eng Dub/Eng Sub

EDIT:

The Kit for the Japanese Voices Disc is complete
    The Kit for the English Voices Disc is complete

That's another brand new kit ready
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-September-2013 at 21:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Rogue Galaxy [NTSC-U] (DVD9) / [PAL-E] (DVD9)

I have already simplified 1 kit for this game, for the NTSC version it does rip out 1 FMV for Staff credits, it is replaced by a smaller FMV instead this kit makes a single DVD5 disc

I will be working on 2 other kits though that split the game onto 2 DVD5's instead, I already know the swap point will be at the end of chapter 7 so chapter 8 starts on DVD 2, I will do one for each version of the game the NTSC version and the PAL version if I can, I need to check out the structure of the PAL version vs the NTSC version fully and see if the swap point will be the same (it does look like the PAL version will work on NTSC consoles as it does have NTSC video's as well as PAL ones, this also may make the swap points different)

I know the swap point because this has been done to 2 DVD5s before but I can find any kits to do this or instructions, but I should be able to do that same sort of tricks I done with the last game

I am hoping I can find saves for this game so I can test it out without having to play the whole game start to end.

I may also do 2 other kits that are like the NTSC single DVD5 kit, both for the PAL version, one will use just the NTSC vids and one will just use the PAL vids

That would be a total of 5 kits, 2 kits that make a 2 DVD5 disc set (1 for the NTSC version and 1 for the PAL version) and 3 that make a single DVD5 disc rip (The NTSC version that is already done and 2 versions for the PAL version of the game )

P.S.
    I am not releasing these as I go so if anyone is wanting any of these before I have completed going through all the games let me know I will be happy enough to upload any on request.
    I am also willing to skip a few games and jump to a one that a kit is wanted for, but please note that I can't do every game, I have already found a couple of games I either need to play through fully first to know when each file is accessed (so I can sort the files for each DVD) or I can't see a way of making it work from 2 DVD5's
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-September-2013 at 13:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hey Zorlon, I have a little problem with one of your kits .

I was trying that God of War 2 DVD9 to 2VD5 ripkit. As the instruction suggested I extracted my dvd9 iso in the same folder as the ripkit files (used Apache 3 to do that). However, when I try to use the iml files with gow2rip.bat, they instantly create new iso files with sizes 5.000 kb and 21.060 kb (files about those sizes). Appearently something is wrong with the process, and I'm missing something. Could you help me out? I'm about to pull of my first DVD5 rip.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The exact paths will need to be used and exact instructions need to be followed

but I will take a look at the kit and simplify it

the folder you need to extract the DVD9 iso to is the same folder that has the kit in it

I will redo that kit the same as the others I have done with clear instructions and make it use a sub folder for the dvd9 data files, but you should be fine with the existing kit just extract the DVD9 to the same folder as the kit and run the bat file
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-October-2013 at 15:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I actually extracted the iso to the same folder with the dvd9kit, I'll take another look, but if you can further simplify it I'd be very happy.