Thread: Ape Escape demo on epsxe

Thanks

Default Ape Escape demo on epsxe

Hi.
    I'm trying to play this demo version of Ape Escape on ePsxe: http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Plays..._%28E%29/51829.

But I keep encountering a very annoying problem. When I hit start (in the main menu to choose the Ape Escape demo), after the "Powerline" screen, a yellow warning sequence plays, claiming that I don't have an analog controller to play the game, even though I do. No matter what I do, configure the gamepad to "dualshock", hit F5 until it says "on", nothing works. I cannot play the demo.

I really need help, please.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Convert the ape files as well as un-ecm the ecm file

Convert the bin+bin+cue file to a single bin+cue file with ISObuster (do not use other CD image converting software most of it will break the PSX XA and STR headers that are part of the disc structure not part of the files Magic ISO is just one example of Disc image converting software that just breaks PSX disc images)

then try your game, just make sure you use the cue file (if you do not already have the cue file then it is in the Ecm and Ape files guide it should be in the Cue's and Sbi's pack)

Ecm and Ape files guide
    ISObuster guide

All software used in the guides are free versions you do not need to buy any of the software used and some of the software does have payed for versions

If this does not work out for you or you are not sure about something in any of the guides just let us know
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-August-2013 at 11:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

As usual, many thanks for the reply and help, Zorlon I forgot about making a single bin file, so I will try that and see how it goes, then report back.

EDIT: Gave it a try, sadly the same result It's worth noting that this same problem appears in another psx emulator, pSX. Also, sorry for not mentioning this before, but the very first time I ran the demo, it didn't show the dualshock warning and went into the game intro. I don't know what happened.
    Last edited by emjeeman; 22nd-August-2013 at 03:12.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just tested this and it gets right past the powerline logo to the Ape Escape loop FMV I don't have a pad hooked up or keyboard set up for ePSXe so I didn't get further than that

Plugins tested with

PEOpS Soft GPU
    ePSXe Core SPU
    PEOpS CDR

Tested again just set start and X

at the Ape Escape FMV loop I hit start

Another Powerline logo then an FMV of a analog controller with lots of ticks & a none analog controller with lots of X's then Ape Escape game play demo FMV (not the same as the previous loop) (it goes back to the first Powerline logo after the FMV plays out fully)

I don't think this is a playable demo by the way that looks like that is it for this demo, it doesn't look like an interactive demo but simply a FMV demo, no analog is needed, tested with and without, it just has an FMV that the game is planned to support Analog only (I wonder if it does only support analog only as that will be the first game I have heard of to only support Analog, it usually optional Digital only games do not support Analog mode though but not seen that the other way round)

Pizza Hut Playstation Demo Disc 1 has a demo playable of this game though, possibly on a few cover disc demo discs aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-August-2013 at 09:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Just tested this and it gets right past the powerline logo to the Ape Escape loop FMV I don't have a pad hooked up or keyboard set up for ePSXe so I didn't get further than that

Plugins tested with

PEOpS Soft GPU
    ePSXe Core SPU
    PEOpS CDR

Tested again just set start and X

at the Ape Escape FMV loop I hit start

Another Powerline logo then an FMV of a analog controller with lots of ticks & a none analog controller with lots of X's then Ape Escape game play demo FMV (not the same as the previous loop) (it goes back to the first Powerline logo after the FMV plays out fully)

I don't think this is a playable demo by the way that looks like that is it for this demo, it doesn't look like an interactive demo but simply a FMV demo, no analog is needed, tested with and without, it just has an FMV that the game is planned to support Analog only (I wonder if it does only support analog only as that will be the first game I have heard of to only support Analog, it usually optional Digital only games do not support Analog mode though but not seen that the other way round)

Pizza Hut Playstation Demo Disc 1 has a demo playable of this game though, possibly on a few cover disc demo discs aswell
    Thanks for the reply. However, I'm fairly certain that the demo is supposed to be playable. When I first played it, it showed the intro sequence directly and I got as far as entering into the first level; but I couldn't move around because there was something wrong with my control configuration. So I closed and re-opened the program, fixed the control config, reloaded the demo disc; but this time (and every time following), instead of the intro fmv, that analog controller FMV sequence appeared, followed by a low-quality FMV of the game. Something is going on with the emulation of this demo disc.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Maybe it's an alt button you need to press instead of Start or X

Or just get a demo disc that does have a playable demo that you can select from a list of demo games

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Maybe it's an alt button you need to press instead of Start or X

Or just get a demo disc that does have a playable demo that you can select from a list of demo games
    I'm afraid this is the only thing I can do. Still, it is agreeable that there's something odd about this disc image that these emulators cannot run it properly. What causes it to play properly the first time, but only the first time? And it's an issue found in more than just 1 emulator.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know if it is an emulator issue without testing it out on real hardware that I don't have any intention of wasting a CD-R just to find out if a demo is playing on my chipped PSone

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I got this working by the way but only via Xebra, I don't have any real interest in the game so can't see me looking into any more though.

It possibly does work via ePSXe as well but it's not started with X or Start that's all, maybe by an analog click or something, I just button mashed in Xebra though and the playable demo popped up, including the message about analog being needed.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]