Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3DS R4 cards

Thanks

Default 3DS R4 cards

I have a lot, and I mean a lot of old Gameboy games lying around that I want to play but the only Nintendo handheld I have is the 3DS XL, so I've been downloading the roms and playing them on an emulator but then I remembered using an R4 card years ago. I'm still confused as to what exactly it is. I know it's basically extra memory, but can I play DS/DSi/Gameboy Advance/Gameboy Color games on my 3DS XL by downloading the rom from emulation website and then putting it into this card? If so, is this what I should buy and is this a good tutorial for learning how to set it up and download games onto it? I just want to make sure this is the right thing before I buy it and expect to be able to play old games on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I donno if the R4i 3DS card can play GBA/GBC games, I've never really paid attention to those options. You might need to emulate or something (I'm sure somebody will have a better answer for you). I don't think DSi games have been cracked yet You will be able to play DS games, that's the entire point of the product. You don't mention it, but I should point out that the R4 won't play actually play 3DS games, it's simply built to be functional on a 3DS. There's only one flashcart that plays 3DS games, and it's not really great at this time.

I wouldn't suggest that first link you posted as the product you should buy. No idea about the quality of the online shop, but you never want to get a randomly bundled MicroSD card with your flashcard. They'll toss you whatever slow crap no-brand MicroSD card that acquired dirt cheap. Buy a nice class 10 card from a reputable source separately. I'd also think getting a Supercard DSTWO is the smartest purchase at this time. Zorlon broke down a list of what current stuff does:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-11x-6-1-0-12x
    When it comes to picking where to buy flashcards from I always suggest browsing shoptemp. They break down what various flashcard sites have available, how much they charge, and have reviews/ratings of the actual sites:
    http://shoptemp.net/

That guide you linked looks fine enough, it's an entirely straightforward process. But they do seem to plug themselves as the best place to buy from, and have comments disabled on that guide. That's not too cool. But really any guide should do, if you're grabbing a R4 I'm sure whatever firmware they'll toss you is good enough.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Most flash kits are blocked now, only a few remain plus a couple of new ones made after the latest update

The only 3DS flash kit worth it for GBA is the Supercard DSTWO, that is one of the more expensive flash kits, this is due to the extra memory chip used to get GBA and SNES emulation working without a slot 2

DS games will work directly with the DSTWO other flash kits will need some games to be patched first (R4 kits especially require AP patching for the protected games)
    GBA as stated above will only be realy playable via the SuperCard DSTWO, this is done via an emulator on the flash kit
    GB to GBC rom would run through an emulator that would work on most flash kits though including the cheap R4 kits that still work with the 3DS
    DSi roms are not playable by any flash kit
    DS games with DSi features, these will run fine but will only work in DS mode, so no Camera features will work

Avoid R4 if possible and go with SuperCard DSTWO if you want to play GBA & DS games without needing to patch them

Ragnar the F*in Ninja yeah what Ragnar said

EDIT be warned that not all R4i Gold 3DS cards will work with the latest 3DS firmware, lots of those got blocked, you require revision 9,A or C, to make matters worse there is more than one version of revision C, the other revisions C are blocked, it is worth paying that little extra to get yourself a highend flash kit (DSTWO) instead of a second rate clone (R4i ????)

Also the R4i Gold 3DS will need AP patching for some games, these games will seem to play ok for some part, but will crash later in game or like pokemon you can play it fine but you never gain EXP, I don't think timed events work either, or like the Micheal Jackson music game (I forget it's exact name) the music is masked by a horn noise, lots just prevent saving, all of this is caused by protection that gets called AP (Anti Piracy)

I loved the original R4 but that team died off long before the 3DS and even before the DSi all R4 cards now just stole the name.

General Notes:-
    [list][*]Never update the 3DS system just before getting a flash kit[*]Buying your first kit, I would email the suppliers and ask if they will update the flash kit's firmware before they send you the kit (this ensures it will work with your 3DS's current update)[*]Always update the flash kit before you update your console, never the other way round (you can't update the other way round)[*]If for some reason you updated the 3DS before updating the flash kit you will require a DS or DS Lite to update the flash kit for it to work with the 3DS update if they blocked the previous flash kit version (You can also get USB updaters for some R4 kits, including the one you are thinking about, though some revisions of that kit are blocked and can't be unblocked so again be very very careful if you buy a R4i Gold 3DS)[*]R4 kits and other cheap clones require AP patching with some games, especially the newer games for DS
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-July-2013 at 23:02.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hmm okay. So for playing DS games, would the R4i 3DS allow me to do so or is is blocked as you said some are? And are you saying that the Supercard DSTWO will allow me to play DS games as well as GBA games on it? Because if it wil then I'd be ok with paying the extra price, but not if it was only for gameboy games.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GBA emulation works fine on the DSTWO, though not perfect with every game (most run perfect though some have very slight sound issues but nothing major, I have not played every GBA game with my SuperCard DSTWO)

R4i 3DS will not let you play GBA at all

GameBoy will work on both
    GameBoy Color will work on both

Most R4i 3DS cards are blocked revision C half are blocked half will still work if they are updated, revisions 9 and A will still work if the flash kit is updated (to update you will either need them to be pre updated or have a DS/DSLite to update with or pay out extra for a USB flasher to update the flash kit with) all other revisions are now blocked though

The DSTWO will also need updating, this can be done either by the retailer (they are more like to do this kit as it's not in a sealed blister pack, but just a card box) or via a DS/DSLite

Once both are up to date you can update via the 3DS as long as you update the flash kit before you update the 3DS

DS games work on both but the R4 will need you to find AP patches for a lot of the games to work
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-July-2013 at 23:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ok cool. Will the DSTWO allow me to play both Gameboy and DS games if I buy them?
    And I'm a little confused on what you said about needing to be updated. If I buy a DSTWO card, can i play it straight away or will I have to do other things?
    Is this a trusted site and is this a reasonable price?

Also, I researched a bit more into what you were talking about when you mentioned updates. My 3DS XL is currenty at Ver. 5.1.0-11E, does this mean I will be able to buy the DSTWO and play it without having to update anything? And if not, how will I get it updated from an online store? Unless you mean that they will have it updated when they send it because one website says "All the Supercard Dstwo carts we send out will be the latest and updated version." Hopefully that's what you mean.

Also, I read somewhere that this card also allows SNES/NES emulation too, is this true and is it the same process as the GBA?
    Last edited by KazutoKirigaya; 31st-July-2013 at 01:25.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by KazutoKirigaya View Post
    Is this a trusted site and is this a reasonable price?
    I'll let Zorlon handle your other Qs (mainly cause I don't know all the answers). But yeah that store sounds fine:
    http://shoptemp.net/shop/thegamerdepot.html

Maybe you could get it cheaper from China, but that can have issues crossing boarders and such... The price is in the right ballpark though:
    http://shoptemp.net/products/Supercard-DSTWO.html
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GameBoy and DS yes both run fine on a Supercard DSTWO

Both flash kits will need updating to be able to work on 3DS firmware 5.1.0-11E, both flash kits are much older than that update

Every flash kit now needs updating via firmware when Nintendo updates there consoles, unless a kit is not blocked, then the kit will not need updating (This is done to avoid a complete block by updating the flash kits firmware before updating the 3DS)

Some online stores will update the flash kit for you but only if you ask them to do that, if they will not you will need access to an original DS or DS Lite, to be able to update yourself

Yes I am talking about them first updating the flash kit before they sent it via the post

Yes it can play SNES but far from perfect, but most games do run fine, the process is very much the same as GBA

this thing plays...

DS Games are perfect for this system

Emulates GBA GBC SGB GB SNES NES Mastersystem GameGear MegaDrive and more

SCUMMVM games also run very well (Point and click adventure games), there are other ports as well

In the spoiler is a big list of what can be played on the DSTWO

Spoiler warning:
    x86/dos (very very old PC games)
    Amstrad 6128
    Amstrad CPC
    Apple II
    Atari 800
    Atari 2600
    Atari ST
    Chip- 8
    Colecovision
    Commodore64
    Dragon 32/64
    Dreamcast VMU
    Gameking
    Gameboy/Gameboy Colour
    GameGear/Sega Master System
    GBA
    Megadrive
    Macintosh
    MAME
    Msx
    Neo Geo AES/MVS
    NeoGeo Pocket
    Nes
    Oric
    ScummVM
    Snes
    Spectrum (ZX Spectrum)
    Thomson MO5
    TI 83 Calculator
    TI 85 Calculator
    Vectrex
    Watari Supervision
    Wonderswan
    ZX81

Individual Arcade games emulated:-
    Aemio
    Bombjack
    Ghosts' N Run
    Green Beret
    Klax
    Marca
    Mr Do
    Pong
    SnowBros
    Solomons Key
    Space Invadors.

There is still yet more for DS flash kits in the way of homebrew and ports
    homebrew is unofficial software for the DS
    ports are usually PC games originally that have had source code released and that code has been used to make that game work on the console, the most famous ported game is Doom, for ports you do require the original game data files, though most do come with demo data files anyway to get you started playing
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-July-2013 at 06:59.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

If you want play GBA /SNES games on your 3dsxl, sorry to say that at present, only dstwo can live up to your requirement. The reason lies in dstwo comes with gba /snes emulator. If you choose other card, you still need a ezflash 3 in 1,but 3dsxl dont have slot-2 to insert it, so dswo is your only choice. Personally i thought you can take this car into account,after all,it's the best card at present.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Both flash kits will need updating to be able to work on 3DS firmware 5.1.0-11E, both flash kits are much older than that update

Every flash kit now needs updating via firmware when Nintendo updates there consoles, unless a kit is not blocked, then the kit will not need updating (This is done to avoid a complete block by updating the flash kits firmware before updating the 3DS)

Some online stores will update the flash kit for you but only if you ask them to do that, if they will not you will need access to an original DS or DS Lite, to be able to update yourself

Yes I am talking about them first updating the flash kit before they sent it via the post
    Just to point out, that tutorial Kazuto linked in the first post mentioned:
    2. Buy R4i Gold Card (Currently the best place to purchase an R4i Gold 3DS Card from is TheGamerDepot, They guarentee the R4 Card they supply will be compatible with the latest 3DS XL/3DS/DSi/DS system out of the box)
    And that's the retailer he seems interested in buying from. So hopefully they're cool, and he can just plug and play when it arrives

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup sounds like it

I over explain things sometimes :/

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Yup sounds like it

I over explain things sometimes :/
    You explained everything i needed and more :p Thank you.

Also, it does say on thegamerdepot website that it will come "pre flashed" and "not require updating" so I'm assuming this means that I will get to play it as soon as it arrives then?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Haylee View Post
    If you want play GBA /SNES games on your 3dsxl, sorry to say that at present, only dstwo can live up to your requirement. The reason lies in dstwo comes with gba /snes emulator. If you choose other card, you still need a ezflash 3 in 1,but 3dsxl dont have slot-2 to insert it, so dswo is your only choice. Personally i thought you can take this car into account,after all,it's the best card at present.
    You actually can play SNES on your DS/3DS with SnemulDS, it's a little slow with some games but Super Mario World & the Donkey Kong games run decent with a few graphics problems. I also hear the SCDS2 is not that good for homebrew so the R4i Gold 3DS has higher compatibility if that's what you want it for.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 47iscool View Post
    I also hear the SCDS2 is not that good for homebrew so the R4i Gold 3DS has higher compatibility if that's what you want it for.
    Your hearing things... just what...

Yet to find any homebrew with issues with the SCDS2 and tested a hell of a lot of it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-July-2013 at 20:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay guys. Just wanted to let you know that I'm buying it now. Once I have everything set up I'll see if I have any problems and if I do I'll ask here again.
    Last edited by KazutoKirigaya; 3rd-August-2013 at 14:22.