Thread: What does NTSC-U stand for?

Thanks

Default What does NTSC-U stand for?

Hi i'm new to this site and wantewd to dwnld some xbox iso's I live in the UK and need pal for my system. I just wondered if the NTSC-U was a universal format? Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The US, Canada and some other countries use NTSC-U.

If your Xbox is modded you can probably use plenty of the NTSC-U releases. I think some of the games might have PAL and NTSC-U files anyway
    My consoles are PAL (Australia uses the same system as Europe) and I've got plenty of NTSC-U games that work fine, I've even got a couple of NTSC-J games that are ok too (Japanese).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

NTSC-U has 2 codes in there
    NTSC = the display type used in the US and Japan
    U = USA

NTSC is only really universal for NTSC countries that the UK is not, some games will work fine on a PAL console if forced to PAL60 or NTSC, others will fail or have in-game issues

PAL-E also is 2 codes
    PAL = the display type used in the UK
    E = Europe

PAL-E can be considered universal to European counties including the UK, these will all work

NTSC-J same as above
    NTSC = the display type used in the US and Japan
    J = Japan

NTSC-J, retail games are still region locked, but hacked/modded consoles that are NTSC-U/NTSC-J can boot all these without issue, PAL consoles with force PAL60/NTSC will get some games working, while others will have issues

There are some NTSC released games though that do have PAL support, others do not though

Make that PAL console work perfect will all NTSC games

There are NTSC games that will not work correctly on a PAL console, but you can change the region with a very basic prog called Enigmah Videomode Switch (I'm sure I could dig that out for you, just keep that on the HDD and run it when needed, it's very small anyway)

The above makes the console act like an NTSC console so PAL original discs will stop reading, you can switch back to PAL though via the same program

P.S. my consoles are all PAL-E as are all UK consoles

If your TV can not display 60Hz you will have problems running lots of NTSC games, some very few mind have 50Hz support as well, the ones that do not may still boot but will go out of sync and crash out on you, dashboard hacks to boot in PAL 60 & NTSC will not work with some NTSC-U/NTSC-J games either, hence the video mode changer to get those working

Other known issues

Xbox version 1.6 while running in HD via component cables, some games are scrambled in 480p on version 1.6 of the xbox, to fix that disable 480p and the game will run fine but display in 480i (another fix but does not work with all games is to use Complex Tools to boot those through and keep the 480p display)

Xbox HDD installed games, there are a small number of games that will have file names too long for HDD, to fix that rename the files to shorter named then hack the main xbe file so it looks for the renamed files instead of the long file name files or you can just run those from disc

Xbox HDD, Dirty Disc Error and Black screen load, these need the xbe hacking to make them work from HDD, you can just run those from disc though instead

To do any of the above you do require a modded Xbox, you can do that with software though so no need for any soldered mod chips
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-July-2013 at 12:29.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: