Thread: problem burning PS1 games

Thanks

Default problem burning PS1 games

Hi, I'm having a weird issue with some PS1 games that I've burned recently.. some games work just fine on my PS1, and others unfortunatelly don't.. for example, Tony Hawks 1, Need For Speed 1 and Metal Gear Solid works perfectly, and games like Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Vandal Hearts, Resident Evil won't work at all..... Though I've tested them using ePSXe on my computer and they work fine... It's so weird..

And I've downloaded the games from the same source, Emuparadise.me

I'm using ImgBurn and Alcohol 120% to burn the .bin files with .cue, all standard procedure.. my PS1 is the slim version and the laser unit was replaced recently (not original anymore)..

Help me please.. thanks in advance!!

Cheers!!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. ImgBurn is all you need
    2. Always burn via a cue file or ccd, never burn a bin or img file direct

How are you playing these on your PSone? mod chip/swap trick/magic

Also what region is the console

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I found out! Recording at 40x solved the problem! It's weird becuz the CD-R is Verbatim 4x so I don't understand how this worked LOL...

I don't know, maybe becuz I have a Pioneer blu-ray recorder and it can burn properly CD-R's at high speeds even if the disc default speed isn't that high and since the console laser unit is brand new maybe due the recent technology of that device it can read CD-R's recorded at high speeds, I'm not sure....

Thanks a lot Zorlon for your support! I hope someday this thread can be helpful to someone with the same problem as me! =]

Cheers!!!!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Best method is to burn at the slowest possible speed to ensure smooth burning (the slowest speed is different depending on the hardware)

Burning at the fastest is a lucky dip and will increase the chances of an error in the burning

the speed listed on the disc is not the speed of the actual hardware burning the media, the 4x reference on the disc is just a supported burn speed, I would guess at the lowest it can be burned to as no new CD burning hardware can even burn at that low a speed, for example my CD/DVD burner's lowest speed for CD-R's is 10x.

The reason for the previous failed burns can be plenty of things though, for example, bad media (scratches, dust ect) just a lucked out burn, burning at high speeds, burning while processing other files on your computer or anything that has high memory and or CPU use at the same time as burning.

We have a perfectly fine guide for burning with ImgBurn here though anyway

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I've made some more tests and I found out that I can't burn below 16x, otherwise the games won't boot at all.. I've burned some games at 40x that worked fine but Castlevania SOTN and Skullmonkeys were a bit choppy (audio/animations) unless I burn them at 16x.. so I think 16x is the best speed for my drive and verbatim discs atm

a/w tks again for your help!!
    cheers!!

Thanks

Hi all!
    I need help for this game: http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Plays...(Disc_1)/52219
    I tried to burn it following this topic: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-And-APE-Guide
    Every tries I made failed, after running the "Sony" Screen on the TV, my PSone don't show anything else.

I follow this passages:
    1) Unpack the archive with the .ecm file
    2) Move the .ecm file on "unecm" to obtain the .bin file
    3) Take the missing cue sheet from "Cue's and Sbi's" archive
    4) Open cue sheet with ImgBurn and burn on the CD with Write Speed Setting on 1x (my CD burner write at min 4x)

Someone could help me to understand what is wrong? Thanks you all!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by RetroShika View Post
    Hi all!
    I need help for this game: http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Plays...(Disc_1)/52219
    I tried to burn it following this topic: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-And-APE-Guide
    Every tries I made failed, after running the "Sony" Screen on the TV, my PSone don't show anything else.

I follow this passages:
    1) Unpack the archive with the .ecm file
    2) Move the .ecm file on "unecm" to obtain the .bin file
    3) Take the missing cue sheet from "Cue's and Sbi's" archive
    4) Open cue sheet with ImgBurn and burn on the CD with Write Speed Setting on 1x (my CD burner write at min 4x)

Someone could help me to understand what is wrong? Thanks you all!
    Create your own thread first then I can help you

I actually know what the issue is, but I can't give you help while you are leaching on to another members help thread, just make a new thread and I will tell you how to make the game work.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]