Thread: Need help removing PS2 disc tray cover.

Thanks

Default Need help removing PS2 disc tray cover.

As the title says, I'm trying to remove the cover for the disc tray of my PS2 and I've ran into a bit of an issue. I'm doing this so I can install some files on my Memory Card using a disc swapping exploit but I've fallen at the first hurdle: I can't figure out how to get the tray cover off.

My PS2 is a model SCPH-50003, I've ejected the tray and turned off the system and taken a look but I can't figure out how the tray cover is supposed to removed. Apparently on some models there's a screw you remove first or something, but mine doesn't have that.

Has anyone else removed this cover before? If so can you lend some advice? Other than that, does anyone know a method of getting files like FreeMCBoot onto a Memory Card that doesn't require me taking parts off of my console?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

If i remember correctly, there are 4 or 5 Black mini phillips head scews on the top of the disc tray cover. If you see them and removed them you may need to remove it with a tiny bit of force because of the magnet thats on the tray cover. That should give you access to the actual tray

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Thanks

Is this internally or externally? I didn't actually make it clear (sorry) so I will now, I'm trying to remove the cover with the "PS" logo pin on it, and I kinda need to do it from the outside without taking the case off.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Before you go ahead and do that

Is this so you can use Swap Magic or a swap trick?

I ask because there are beter methods to play backup without the need to remove the front to use a slide card

And if this is to use swap magic do you have the swap magic disc set yet? (I have a reason for asking I may need version info as well if you can so I can give you the best advice)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-July-2013 at 18:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

No I don't have the Swap Magic discs, didn't think they were worth the money (that and I didn't have the money, hehe). I'm trying to use an exploit using Agent Under Fire and a modified backup of the game to load files from a USB drive onto a Memory Card (for FreeMcBoot or something along those lines).

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ah you are trying to install ESR then, that I was going to be talking about anyway

do you not have any form of cheat CD's or DVD's for the PS2 so you can install FreeMcBoot with ESR without taking the front of the disc tray off (if so what discs do you have?)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

No, don't have any discs like that. It's annoying, because I know it'd be easier, but I haven't spent a dime on this little side-project so far and I can't really afford to anyway.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ok I will link a vid for you that shows the olde fat PS2 and the tray front getting removed, it also shows the slide tool being used aswell

No it's not me on the video, it's not my video

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I appreciate the help but my disc tray doesn't have that phillips screw. I tried to see if I could tease it off with a flathead like he did in the video but all I've done is snap the tabs on each side of the tray. *sigh* there goes my pristine condition PS2. Least I can swap discs now... yaaaaay...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shame would of been easier to just remove the top of the case, unscrew the top of the CD/DVD unit done you swap to install the mod and put the thing back to together as Freemcboot or ESR does not need the slide card trick once installed, PSX discs there is mod for but that does require a swap trick/slide card

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]