Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox HDD Sevice screen

Thanks
    Blog Entries

my disk drive for the windows 95 isn't reading disc burnt on windows 7 do i need a newer tower cause this is getting real annoying and i don't want to get a new xbox current cost an arm and a leg for system and wires.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

no you need a new or 2nd hand PC desktop CD drive that actually works, or just stop breaking your toys, lol never known any one user have so many issues

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question

All of the pc's I'm using are pre-owned parents updated to one that again kaput.
    And the tut I was asking about was for ftping.
    Again no Number is in the left corner.

IGNORE[CAN I USE AN EXTERNAL CD DRIVE?
    with xboxhdm do i need a password to lock it?[

[Finally got the drive working but now every time I select anything it just loops you have passed an undefined mode number
    I LOCKED IT IN XBOXHDM BUT i STILL GET THE ERROR SCREEN.]
    HOW WILL MOD CHIPPING IT REMOVE THE ERROR AND CAN ANYONE RECOMEND A GOOD NON VIDEO AND VIDEO GUIDES FOR MOD CHIPPING, ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST CHIP TO GET DO THEY HAVE UNLEASH X ON THEM? sorry caps key was stuck.
    Last edited by soratron; 13th-June-2013 at 10:13.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No tut is needed for FTPing but again a quick google will find one, but you can't FTP if the machine can't boot fully because of the error screen, so no point in looking now.

I do not know if a mod chip will solve your issue, sounds like you have messed your original HDD up, I don't even know why you unlocked it in the first place, there is no reason for you to of done that, unless replacing the HDD but then you would of made a backup of the eeprom.bin.

The item that Jackhammer linked though would do the trick by the sounds of so you can fix the messed up HDD, it's cost effective as well so even if you got it and wasn't any help it's only a couple quid

You can also make your own http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/R...ox_Hdd_key.htm

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think I'll just buy another one off amazon only $40's with shipping. The reason I unlocked it was I was trying to get it to ftp and was wondering if that was the problem so I unlocked went to extras start ftp no luck backed out looked at beeping phone bumping the analog down when I set it on the table looked who called picked up the controller with my right hand thumb over the A button then that damn sneeze happened and I pressed the A button when it was selecting reboot.
    Iwas going to go back and re lock the drive since it said xbox might not work any more if left unlocked. So I'm going to use the damaged xbox for parts if new one since seller of the one I got is out of stock And use the hard drive on opl so my sister can play KH1 on my old ps2.
    And the eeprom.bin file along with the c and e drives backups are only good if you can ftp; and yes I did have a crossover cable same one used for ps2 ftp it works but it wouldn't ftp even when I set it to dchp or static ip address, on dchp ip was 0.0.0.0 static was 192.-.-.- and still I couldn't get the files to transfer with filezilla.
    So ya im just going to burn emus to dvd's not bother with the ftp.
    Last edited by soratron; 13th-June-2013 at 13:19.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Learn the force of the google

FTP is really simple (crossover is for direct connection between console and comp that I would hope you know)

Just google it, they normally give you exact examples anyway, the problem was with you though as I know Filezilla works great with the xbox for FTP (with the drive locked)

First part is just getting Filezilla to list the files to start with, at least then you have something to start working on

You done the worst possible thing though, you messed on with things you did not understand without looking for the information first.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks I get tuts try again maybe next month sometime....:[

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just so you know but the stock HDD that comes with the Xbox is only 8GB so you can't store a lot on it, I replaced my HDD with an old 120 GB but I am considering buying a 750 GB HDD for it, thats the biggest IDE HDD you can get, though you can use a SATA to IDE converter with some drives

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/ has some very good drive compat info

I may get round to doing a very small FTP guide if I pull all my gear out, at the moment my Xbox is a little on off due to the old 120GB HDD as it happens, I get the 7 error if I remember correctly but I can boot it fine after resetting several times

While we are here why don't you take a photo of the error screen I would be interested to see the error you get without a number, that is something that I for one have never heard of

Normal HDD errors are 5 through to 9

5 - kernel - HDD not locked
    6 - kernel - Cannot unlock HDD
    7 - kernel - HDD timeout
    8 - kernel - No HDD found
    9 - kernel - HDD parameters

5 & 8 would be expected with your drive

P.S. the cable that is much cheaper than another xbox could still help you recover the drive

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Here's an old FTP guide I made.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?50758-PC-To-Xbox-FTP-FileZilla&highlight=xbox+ftp

The ebay link I posted is the cheapest way to fix your Xbox. Retrieve your EEPROM, then use XBOXHDM to lock your HDD.

Chipping your Xbox, you can use nearly any HDD (some don't work). You can leave them unlocked or locked. I would have thought that once chipped, your Xbox will work as normal. If you do need to set up your HDD, use either Slayer's disc or Hexen - Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-June-2013 at 17:09. Reason: Just changed the link so nothing is highlighted :)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks oh mighty JackHammer now I know where I lost steam [Hand in face!] I still had the ip of LAN settings set to ps2 opl settings. And yes Zorlon I am Thinking of maybe installing if I can get the needed files first to transfer then I was going to install A seagate lockable 500gb hdd in there And ftp halo Splinter cell And Conker : Live and reloaded Along with coinops neogenesis and snes9xbox surreal 64 be 5.52 and some great tracks.
    Here are the pics you were asking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by soratron; 16th-June-2013 at 12:03.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

cough Coin ops includes the other emulators

As it happens I like to have separate systems emulators instead of an all in one so an older version of Coinops could be used for MAME, or just grab MameOX I think it is then grab separate emulators for the other systems, all coinops does it use the other emulators anyway they did not make anything new.

The other MAME versions are worth checking out anyway to see if any do have real light gun support

Glad you finally found your mistake (something I had mentioned as it happens)
    FTP can be ran from anything once the console is modded then you can FTP all you like just make sure the console FTP settings and software FTP settings are correct and you have it networked correctly
    As I have/had my own FTP settings (actually I think I may of just matched them to the PS2 ftp setup in the first place though I no longer use ftp on the PS2 that was more for save backing up than anything else)

Anyone that has done very basic FTP in the past should know what to look for in the setting on both ends though

P.S. thanks for the images, I have to admit I have never seen that happen ever.

P.P.S. I have custom setting for my from LED anyway so it kind of changes colour/color depending on what it's doing, it's just some settings you can use with XBMC
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-June-2013 at 13:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

question Is there a way to restore the hdd to factory settings from a cd or is buying new really all the options I have left at this point?
    And JackHammer on that link I checked it and it looks like soldering is required not really strong point 2 dead snes consoles'll tell ya so I just want to know If this problem can be fixed Without soldering and if soldering is a must will the mod chip work not much space to keep 2 xbox's.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

There's no soldering involved. Old mobos you need to hold the two prongs to the board, I think newer versions the probes just fit in the holes. Here's a youtube clip, it's a bit shoddy, but you will get the idea.

As for factory reset, IIRC you can use Slayer's disc to reset to factory default.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I GOT NINJA'D BY JACKHAMMER

Reading still helps

How do I use the reader?

With the guides provided, anybody can use the reader. No soldering is required. Simply remove the cover from the console and lift the hard drive and DVD-Rom out to get access to the motherboard. Then connect the three coloured probes to the motherboard, apply power and read the EEPROM using the software provided.
    Yeah that is much your only option, but as a hint check your xbox motherboard and make sure it has the connections shown on the screen grabs at the sellers page

Other things require you to know someone with a chipped original xbox so you can recover the backed up key from the HDD (pointless doing a dump again as you messed up the HDD and it no longer has a valid key)

I am reasonably sure you can't read the contents of an xbox formatted HDD in your PC, I wasted far too much time trying this myself, that would of stopped the need for FTP to get the key

Factory Reset will not fix the HDD
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-June-2013 at 14:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Okay total noobie question here but say I bought a second xbox softmodded it backed up the eeprom and drives then made a new hdm disc with those files and remade the bad hdd with those files would it work if not then Maybe later on in my life lots of prodjects like car repairs bills and others make the getting a new xbox or the extra funds to get that eeprom reader are pritty scarce.

On second thought I have no pc laptop or otherwise that runs right to use the vga esc connector so the eeprom reader is out.
    Last edited by soratron; 16th-June-2013 at 14:31.