Thread: Problem with burning PS1/PS2 ISO

Thanks

Default Problem with burning PS1/PS2 ISO

I downloaded the ISO from this site and some come with bin and cue files.
    If the game come with only one ISO(which is not bin and cue files),it will work on my PS2
    If the game come with bin and cue files,I tried to burn the cue files or convert the bin and cue to ISO then burn on my dvd,then they aren't working and keep showing the grey screen on my PS2.
    I had tried some softwares like imgburn,magiciso,alchohol 120,they still came out the same result.
    Although i burnt the game with single ISO file and played it on my PS2,it need to load for several times until it can be played successfully.What's the problem?
    I burnt Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 which is with a single ISO file,and it can be played successfully,but when it comes with Virtua Cop Elite(which is with bin and cue files),then I can't play on it.
    Anyone can help me with this?Because i really tried many times...and also searched for the tutorial and solutions but still can't find what's wrong with it

NOTE:
    1)My PS2 is the old version which is like a big black stone =P
    2)I'm using DVD+R to burn my ISO or bin and cue files
    3)I put the lowest speed to burn my ISO to my DVD

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

*.iso files are generally DVD images and is the best format for DVD image

Use imgburn only there is no reason to use Alcohol or Magiciso or any of it's clones

Do not use magiciso to convert PSX CD bin+Cue image to iso or any other format it will break str and xa files making the game no longer work or freeze up, in fact do not convert to *.iso at all bin+cue images often have CDDA tracks that can not be stored in iso format that can only store a single track or data

Virtua Cop Elite is a CD game not a DVD game same thing applies do not convert the disc image this game used CDDA tacks that will be lost when converted to *.iso and should only be burned onto a CD

P.S. converting from bin+cue to iso will not make it playable from DVD, there are methods to do this but it's not as simple as using something like magiciso to convert the image type, the file sort on a DVD is not the same as a CD so little more work is needed to do a working convert that not only involves a re-sort but also media type patching for some games and not all games can be converted.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    *.iso files are generally DVD images and is the best format for DVD image

Use imgburn only there is no reason to use Alcohol or Magiciso or any of it's clones

Do not use magiciso to convert PSX CD bin+Cue image to iso or any other format it will break str and xa files making the game no longer work or freeze up, in fact do not convert to *.iso at all bin+cue images often have CDDA tracks that can not be stored in iso format that can only store a single track or data

Virtua Cop Elite is a CD game not a DVD game same thing applies do not convert the disc image this game used CDDA tacks that will be lost when converted to *.iso and should only be burned onto a CD

P.S. converting from bin+cue to iso will not make it playable from DVD, there are methods to do this but it's not as simple as using something like magiciso to convert the image type, the file sort on a DVD is not the same as a CD so little more work is needed to do a working convert that not only involves a re-sort but also media type patching for some games and not all games can be converted.
    Thanks for the awesome speed reply
    So...i still have some questions about this
    1)Since you said that Virtua Cop is a CD game,what can i do to let it playable on my PS2?because when i first bought the game it is playable on my PS2,but im not sure either it is a CD or DVD,it just can play normally on my PS2 without using the way that we play PS1 CD on PS2.My Virtua Cop is not working anymore so i need to burn a new one to play.
    2)You said that converting bin+cue to iso won't work on DVD.But I downloaded PS2 games with bin+cue files.So what should I do to burn it on a DVD and make it playable on my PS2?Because now I'm really stuck with this bin+cue thingy that caused me can't play many games that I wanted to.
    Hope you can give me the useful solution,will appreciate it =D

Thanks
    EP Points

You can burn them unto a blank CD instead of a blank DVD. You don't need to put your console in PS1 mode when you want to play a PS2 CD game.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kjhoh View Post
    Thanks for the awesome speed reply
    So...i still have some questions about this
    1)Since you said that Virtua Cop is a CD game,what can i do to let it playable on my PS2?because when i first bought the game it is playable on my PS2,but im not sure either it is a CD or DVD,it just can play normally on my PS2 without using the way that we play PS1 CD on PS2.My Virtua Cop is not working anymore so i need to burn a new one to play.
    2)You said that converting bin+cue to iso won't work on DVD.But I downloaded PS2 games with bin+cue files.So what should I do to burn it on a DVD and make it playable on my PS2?Because now I'm really stuck with this bin+cue thingy that caused me can't play many games that I wanted to.
    Hope you can give me the useful solution,will appreciate it =D
    Original PS2 CD's have a blue back to them DVD's are normally silver backed

PS2 CD's are played the exact same way as PS2 DVD's and play the normal way

How have you modded your PS2 console?

Most mod chips support PS2 CD's some older chips may not support PSX CD's though

PSX or PS1 or PSone software can't run from DVD at all, there is no known method for doing that
    PS2 software has always ran from CD and DVD depending on the game

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Original PS2 CD's have a blue back to them DVD's are normally silver backed

PS2 CD's are played the exact same way as PS2 DVD's and play the normal way

How have you modded your PS2 console?

Most mod chips support PS2 CD's some older chips may not support PSX CD's though

PSX or PS1 or PSone software can't run from DVD at all, there is no known method for doing that
    PS2 software has always ran from CD and DVD depending on the game
    I bought my PS2 10 years ago,and i dont know how the way it modded because it is already modded when i bought it with new in box.It only play on illegal CD or DVD,which is not original PS2 games.
    Most of my PS2 dvd games are gold colour in the back,when i tried to burn Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 to my DVD+R (which is silver in the back),and it works well in the gaming process,just need to load the game with a few tries sometimes.
    I'm not playing any original disc on my PS1 or PS2 console,since some of the discs are damaged,now im trying to get them back.

So how should i burn the cue+bin files?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you do not know then it is a mod chip of sorts

You burn cue+bin files to a CD-R with imgburn just open the cue file with imgburn make sure the speed is set to a low burning speed (set it to 1x if you are not sure, as your hardware will auto burn at it's lowest possible speed that I will be higher than 1x)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

If you do not know then it is a mod chip of sorts

You burn cue+bin files to a CD-R with imgburn just open the cue file with imgburn make sure the speed is set to a low burning speed (set it to 1x if you are not sure, as your hardware will auto burn at it's lowest possible speed that I will be higher than 1x)
    Yep,I tried to burn the cue+bin files with my Imation CD-R by using Imageburn with a x1 speed.
    But after it burnt,it can't load on my PS2,just nothing happened although i reset and reset for many times =(

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Possibly just an old mod chip with no PS2 CD-R support

could also be bad CD-R media for the PS2 to read or simply a bad disc image

you can check your disc image with the info at www.redump.org (it does however become difficult to do that with games with cdda tracks)

I would guess at it being a mod chip with no CD-R support though, if the first copy you had was an original disc with a blue back

You can try and convert the disc image correctly to a DVD media image (i.e. not with Magiciso) but all the background music will be missing as DVD's do not support CDDA tracks

If you look in http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80513 there are several guides for doing this but it is not guaranteed to work as not all CD based PS2 software will work from DVD.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-June-2013 at 10:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Possibly just an old mod chip with no PS2 CD-R support

could also be bad CD-R media for the PS2 to read or simply a bad disc image

you can check your disc image with the info at www.redump.org (it does however become difficult to do that with games with cdda tracks)

I would guess at it being a mod chip with no CD-R support though, if the first copy you had was an original disc with a blue back

You can try and convert the disc image correctly to a DVD media image (i.e. not with Magiciso) but all the background music will be missing as DVD's do not support CDDA tracks

If you look in http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?80513 there are several guides for doing this but it is not guaranteed to work as not all CD based PS2 software will work from DVD.
    My Virtua Cop isn't an original disc,on the front of the disc it labelled as a DVD game,and with silver back,and there is a code named CSD 547.I think it isn't a bad image because i can play it via PCSX2 1.0.0,my pc spec is low so i can't play on it because it is super lag.BTW,I will look on the threads u gave me and try to do it again,and see if it works.