Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my ps3 is being strange

Thanks
    EP Points

Default my ps3 is being strange

ok, so by now everyone knows i have the original fat model ps3, now the thing is, it's been getting hot and i thought my ps3 would be loud as heck by now (by the end of winter, if i didnt have the window open it would get loud), and so far it seems to be a low level fan, i was worried about it over heating since its getting hotter but so far everything seems to be ok. i just worry about it alot because i dont have the money to get it repaired again. it ylod on me after i bought it, the guy that repaired it said the previous owner purposly overheated it.

occasionally, i am playing ar tonelico and it just freezes, i can exit the game and such, so i am thinking its a problem with the blu ray, yet when i play fallout new vegas it doesnt freeze. btw ar tonelico qoga came brand spanking new. and sometimes i need to hold the eject button before the game will eject. thinking it may need a new blu ray part soon.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In general you just need to keep the machine well ventilated, I end up pulling my machine out when I use it to prevent over heating as it does get rather hot and not many games will lag from excessive use while there are some that do, Silent Hill Downpour does a lot I was getting it so a lot of stuff just wasn't loading correctly (that game suffers from lag anyway but this none loading floors ect was just because the machine was too hot) to solve this I took it out off the shelf it was sat in, so there was more ventilation i.e. more space for the hot air to be pushed out into.

Sum it up, just sit the console on top of a table or something, not on a carpeted floor though but I guess you could always sit it on top of some books or something

P.S. I have had bad brand new game discs in the past a 360 game by the name of Lost Odyssey, a great game but my brand new Disc 4 had read errors from the off set, later I got the game again, played it on the same console without any issues at all
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-May-2013 at 20:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

i guess it was just the game. but it is on a table in front of my tv (the vent has room to blow out hot air) i give it plenty of breathing room and vaccume the vents once a week.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It could be I don't have that game so can't say if it's a general issue with that game or not, can't really add to what has already been said either :/

Not sure I would vaccume the PS3 but if that works for you then great

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

lol only where the vents are. and it might just be the game since fallout new vegas works. i guess some blu rays are defective? or maybe there is a scratch i cant see. other than that i cant really say anything else, gta4 laggs like crazy sometimes but thats a given as other people have the problem and i am using it from the hdd.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    lol only where the vents are. and it might just be the game since fallout new vegas works. i guess some blu rays are defective? or maybe there is a scratch i cant see. other than that i cant really say anything else, gta4 laggs like crazy sometimes but thats a given as other people have the problem and i am using it from the hdd.
    Believe me. New Vegas will give you all sorts of problems as you progress.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I strongly recommend custom fans. Fats are notorious for heat issues.

And yeah, what Zorlon said also helps. I keep both my PS3s on a marble surface. Also with Ar Tonelico it could definitely be the game.

Thanks
    EP Points

my ps3 is on top of a 2 drawer dresser (or nightstand whatever its called) i like it because i can keep my games right there lol. but yeah, when i get a job i will get custom fans for it and have a 3rd party install them.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

on top of ya dresser is fine , I'm sure you could manage to clip on the PS3 custom fans 99% are designed to be easy to attach and usually come with a how to guide.

I'm with ya for a job though, sucks, really needs to be working myself :/

Plus side though, I'm here mostly now lol

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

well it just gave me a yellow light of death while doing a system restore since it shut down while playing a game.

Thanks
    EP Points

That was exactly the same as what happened to my ps3, even after the repair it still burnt itself out and lasted less than a month, at that point I just threw it out and managed to find a second hand one online.

Thanks
    EP Points

well i have a rare 20 gig model and i want to keep my saves since i didnt back any of them up on the cloud (couldnt since i didnt have ps+) so i am just going to get 50 dolars some how to get it repaired by a thrid party person.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, again the repair is only temporary, if your saves are worth it then go for it, regardless I would start looking for a new ps3 if I were you.

Thanks
    EP Points

i think the complete gta4 save and all my ps2 saves are worth getting it fixed.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not rare, please don't call it rare again.

Good luck with the repair though.