Thread: How to make ePSXe 1.8 look like this?

Thanks

Smile How to make ePSXe 1.8 look like this?

Hello everyone!

So I upgraded from 1.7 today and had to do some re-configurations to my ePSXe settings, because the 1.8 sound plugin doesn't work and just crackles but anyway, it all seems to be running perfectly for me now.

My question is this:

My laptop has fn key shortcuts to perform tasks like changing the brightness, volume, print screen ect. as most modern laptops do. However, when I do this a graphic pops up that, when ePSXe is running, changes the picture dramatically.

Here's an example, the opening to Capcom's Dino Crisis...

This is how the game looks normally. The image is smoothed, much like the smoothing options on Xbox LIVE Arcade games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 however due to the muted colours and such it can make the image look slightly darker and the text and images, such as the face and the map, are too blurry for my tastes.

As you can see, the image changes drastically when I trigger the fn key volume shortcut. The image has a much better pop to it and is much sharper. As I said before, this is like switching between the Classic and Smooth options of MvC2 as seen below.

Here's my graphics/video settings for ePSXe.

Is there any way to remove the smoothing effect and keep the image looking this sharp? Any help is appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Check the lower option Config Soft Video plugin and make sure Dithering is off

P.S. if it is only dithering in full screen check you graphics card setting as something is dithering the image and it's not the config you have shown so it's either in your graphics card settings or the Soft Video Plugin (this happens to also be P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver, F8 toggles to and from, I think, don't remember that off hand)

P.S. that image was never ment to be sharp, A standard TV at the time will dither the image anyway, but that's beside the point I guess
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-May-2013 at 23:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Check the lower option Config Soft Video plugin and make sure Dithering is off

P.S. if it is only dithering in full screen check you graphics card setting as something is dithering the image and it's not the config you have shown so it's either in your graphics card settings or the Soft Video Plugin (this happens to also be P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver, F8 toggles to and from, I think, don't remember that off hand)

P.S. that image was never ment to be sharp, A standard TV at the time will dither the image anyway, but that's beside the point I guess
    Dithering is off in both, F8 does nothing and I went into the properties of my graphics card (Intel(R) HD Graphics Family) and there was no configuration or settings abilities.

And I understand what you're saying, but if the image can sharpen just like that then there must be some way of keeping it that way!

Thanks for the help

EDIT:

I've set up OpenGL2, and now the image looks like the Crisp setting in MvC2; the pixels are still being smoothed over but they have sharp edges. It's not what I want, but it's definitely progress.

With how demanding people describe OpenGL2 to be, I'm surprised my 'Intel(R) HD Graphics Family' card can run it.

EDIT 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

I fiddled with some OpenGL2 settings and found right there in front of me settings for shaders and fullscreen filters. Turned them off and I have a really nice image now. Detailed pixellation and a crisp edge. I just hope when I get to gameplay my laptop can handle OpenGL2!

Here's the breakdown from the text file created alongside this screencap.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: Intel
    GFX card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Resolution/Color:
    - 1024x768 Fullscreen - Desktop changing [32 Bit]
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 1
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: off
    - No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 4 - edge clamping supported
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: on - supported
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes - 196 textures usable

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 0
    - Framebuffer effects: 1
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1
    - Subtractive blending: activated

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: off
    - Screen filtering: off
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]
    Last edited by JDash10; 20th-May-2013 at 00:10.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

F8 only works if don't have the same setting for the main plugin as the sub plugin (it might not be F8 either I will check that later though)

Try soft again 640 480 fullscreen Scale2x Unstretched and Stretched (you may need stretched as some images may seem to be squashed to one half of the screen left/right or even top/botom)

I don't have the time to test myself today but I will do some testing if you can't get this working the way you want.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-May-2013 at 15:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

F8 only works if don't have the same setting for the main plugin as the sub plugin (it might not be F8 either I will check that later though)

Try soft again 640 480 fullscreen Scale2x Unstretched and Stretched (you may need stretched as some image may seen to be squashed to one half of the screen)

I don't have the time to test myself today but I will do some testing if you can't get this working the way you want.
    F8 is the Snap command, to take a screenshot of the game

Also, nah I'm really happy with how this looks, it's actually better than what I originally wanted so yeah, problem solved I guess.

Thanks for the help!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah it's F7 to do a toggle Video configs from primary to secondary that is always software (I had time to check that up this time), this may come in handy if the game starts lagging with the OpenGL2 plugin or if the game freezes up at points (known points so you know to hit F7)

Wish I could of been more help but as I said I didn't have the time on my hands to give proper support, for that I am sorry.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-May-2013 at 17:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Yeah it's F7 to do a toggle Video configs from primary to secondary that is always software (I had time to check that up this time), this may come in handy if the game starts lagging with the OpenGL2 plugin or if the game freezes up at points (known points so you know to hit F7)

Wish I could of been more help but as I said I didn't have the time on my hands to give proper support, for that I am sorry.
    You've actually been quite a bit of help, don't worry about it

Thanks

wow. I feel so foolish asking this but, does anyone use a really old computer like poor me. an acer travelmate 4650? It only has 512 meg ram and only a 40 gig hard drive but it's all I can afford. (It was free from a friend.) It has a 1.7Gig cpu with onboard graphics.
    can anyone tell me how I would set PSXe to run smoothly on this? thanks sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I'm new to all this stuff.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by joshanator1 View Post
    wow. I feel so foolish asking this but, does anyone use a really old computer like poor me. an acer travelmate 4650? It only has 512 meg ram and only a 40 gig hard drive but it's all I can afford. (It was free from a friend.) It has a 1.7Gig cpu with onboard graphics.
    can anyone tell me how I would set PSXe to run smoothly on this? thanks sorry if I put this in the wrong place. I'm new to all this stuff.
    Please create your own thread

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]