Thread: XBOX softmod clarification

Thanks
    EP Points

Default XBOX softmod clarification

I have seen so many different guides to soft modding an XBOX that I'm not quite sure which ones are good and which ones are bunk. I believe I have everything I need at the moment to do the softmod but I'm not positive. I have a mad-cats 8mb memory card which I understand is to put the save game exploit on. I have an original copy of splinter cell. I have an Xbox controller to usb adapter. I also have a 120 GB hard drive I would like to use. I was curious if I really NEED an action replay with all of this or if there is another way to get the game save onto the memory card. Also a link to an up to date tutorial would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Edit: I was thinking of trying to use the guide that comes with softmod deluxe 5.01 but I was unsure if that was the best / easiest way.
    Last edited by Mailmann006; 8th-May-2013 at 13:30.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

whatever method you use....

all you need is a memcard that can be accessed by PC and Xbox (any will do or a xbox pad port to USB and a standard USB stick formatted correctly (the xbox pad ports are usb by the way, just with there custom connections)) [Action Replay is just a memcard and you need XP or lower to use the memcard card drivers on PC] plus one of the 3 games used to exploit the xbox

I had problems getting the USB stick formatted correctly myself though it may of been the memstick I was trying to use at the time

the best way to install a new HDD is still with an older Desktop PC with IDE connections and a certain Linux boot CD, there is a Hot Swap Method you can use direct on the Xbox providing you have an extra IDE power point but this is not the best, it is safer to use the other method of installing a bigger HDD

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    the best way to install a new HDD is still with an older Desktop PC with IDE connections and a certain Linux boot CD
    do you know where i can find a guide to do this?

Thanks
    EP Points

So I guess that means I have everything I need. Do you think softmod deluxe is a viable way to do it? It doesn't seem too difficult. Also, I think softmod deluxe comes with one of these disks. I believe it's called HDM? or something like that. I was just wondering have you or anyone you know ever used softmod deluxe?
    Last edited by Mailmann006; 8th-May-2013 at 21:51.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by niggainasuit View Post
    do you know where i can find a guide to do this?
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mailmann006 View Post
    So I guess that means I have everything I need. Do you think softmod deluxe is a viable way to do it? It doesn't seem too difficult. Also, I think softmod deluxe comes with one of these disks. I believe it's called HDM? or something like that. I was just wondering have you or anyone you know ever used softmod deluxe?
    softmod installer deluxe or SID, works and it's easy. just follow the readme and place the correct numbered folders into your memory card or usb stick. copy the save files to your xbox then boot up splinter cell and load the linux save file. then it's just a few more button presses on your controller and youre home free

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It really does not matter what you use to initial mod the xbox, once you know what mod you like you will ftp over whatever is installed via the save exploit, in your case that would be Splinter Cell

copy save data needed load save, pick from displayed options done

FTP the full softmod OS of your choice
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-May-2013 at 09:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for the reply's fellas. Could you tell me which dash I might want to install? I think Evox is the one I want but I could be mistaken. Thanks again.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's up to you really

But I like XBMC myself

That's my xbox booting, quality of the vid is not great it wasn't an HD recorder and it wasn't to show the XBMC either

P.S. my XBMC is very much skinned it doesn't look like that by default

The skin I use replicates the older 360 dash
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-May-2013 at 10:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

That's pretty ill Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to give it a shot here in the next week or so.