Thread: GameShark (GBC) reflashing question(s), plus request

Thanks
    EP Points

Question GameShark (GBC) reflashing question(s), plus request

Hopefully this is the correct section for this (I apologize in advance if it isn't, but I've had pretty good luck so far! *crosses fingers*), but I was wondering if anyone who has/had a GameShark Online (or whatever the heck they're called) for the Game Boy Color/Pocket for the past decade or longer, along with the software and cable, could perhaps answer a question or two or three that I have regarding how the reflashing works.

The reason I ask is because my version-4.0 GameShark doesn't seem to want to play nice with games anymore; I can get into its menus, mess around with adding/deleting codes and games from its lists, but when I go to actually start a game, all I get is a blank screen. I've tried on both my GBC and my Super Game Boy; it just doesn't work.

Anyway, my questions are, in order of priority:
    1. Does anyone around here perhaps maybe happen to still have laying around somewhere a copy of the last Interact GBC GameShark reflashing image? I have the software and the cable — I just need the reflashing .ROM file.
    2. Would it be possible to just try and use the 'GameShark Online BIOS' .GBC file from EmuParadise with the software's re-flashing thing?

In regard to #2, I'm afraid to try it, for two reasons: 1.) I don't know if it's the same version as what I have (which is 4.0) because I can't get it to boot in an emulator, even when using it as a BIOS image; and 2.) I'm afraid that Interact's .ROM files were somehow different on the inside from the .GBC file, rather than being basically the same file but with a different extension.

I actually attempted to use the .GBC file in a reflashing attempt without my Game Boy Color linked up to my computer — and then I tried using a .BMP image with the extension changed to .ROM — and I noticed that it seems to just automatically try to update using whatever file you give it, without any special safeguard checks to make sure that the file you're using isn't something that'll 'brick' your GameShark.

So… I don't suppose there's anyone out there who might be able and/or willing to help?

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong section; and also I feel that requesting the reflashing image isn't illegal, since the things were freely available to anyone who owns the software and special LPT-to-GBC/GBP link cable. The manual itself says, "Look out for upgrades on the GameShark™ website." (page 8) — but I'm about a decade-and-a-half too late (or a time machine shy) for that.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will have a dig round and try and find the rom for you

I can't see it being easy to find though

while I am digging can you provide an image of the device so I know exactly what device I am looking for the flash rom for

I will give you a hint though the Action replay and Gameshark are the same device Action replay is the PAL region version by Datel and the Gameshark is the NTSC region version by Interact (Interact and Datel are one in the same)

I can see the Pro Action Replay v4.01 bios the gameshark bios seem to be harder to find I have one GameShark bios for the GBC but it has no version numbers after it, it is just called a GameShark Online

If I'm correct in thinking though the v3.01 ect are actually GameBoy Gamesharks so there menu's are not color

The next problem is that the roms will not have the correct name for starters they will have the incorrect ext being gbc instead of whatever the flash software looks for, usually bin or dat the rest of the file name will not be correct either

http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_G...A)_(Unl)/67431 GBC is just a file ext it has not changed anything from inside the file though and yeah it doesn't emulate but the file will need to be named correctly for it to work with the flashing software

EDIT:-

After fully reading your post I would just make sure all the connections are clean on all carts and the console itself, the device sounds like it is working fine software wise but the connections may not be I am assuming that all the games work directly and you have already said the GameShark is working directly at least all the menu's ect

You can also test without codes as well just to make sure your games are passing through the cheat device

To clean the connections sometimes you can get away with just giving it a blow other times you really do need to get to the connections and clean them with rubbing alcohol
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-April-2013 at 10:20.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I will have a dig round and try and find the rom for you

I can't see it being easy to find though

while I am digging can you provide an image of the device so I know exactly what device I am looking for the flash rom for

I will give you a hint though the Action replay and Gameshark are the same device Action replay is the PAL region version by Datel and the Gameshark is the NTSC region version by Interact (Interact and Datel are one in the same)
    It is this one precisely. Judging from what was posted on the GameShark website in December of 2001, and the way the menus in mine look (the 'newly designed interface' looks identical to my GameShark's; plus, mine also has the Snapshot feature), I can only guess that mine is the 4.x version.

Sadly, I can't just ask MadCatz for the reflash image, since the only thing they technically have/had was the name — so I figured emulation and cheat-related websites are about the only way I can find it anymore.

I can see the Pro Action Replay v4.01 bios the gameshark bios seem to be harder to find I have one GameShark bios for the GBC but it has no version numbers after it, it is just called a GameShark Online
    I'll take it! The manual I have refers to my GameShark as a 'GameShark™ Online' — so the worst that can happen is ending up with a minor down-grade. (Actually, the worst thing that could happen would be ending up with a corrupted reflashing image, but I'm really, really hoping that it won't be corrupted.)

The next problem is that the roms will not have the correct name for starters they will have the incorrect ext being gbc instead of whatever the flash software looks for, usually bin or dat the rest of the file name will not be correct either

http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_G...A)_(Unl)/67431 GBC is just a file ext it has not changed anything from inside the file though and yeah it doesn't emulate but the file will need to be named correctly for it to work with the flashing software
    I've opened that GBC ROM and noticed that — happily enough — its text is all uncompressed; and that it, too, contains the word 'Snapshot' (among various others), so I'm guessing that it's an image of the 4.x GameShark — but I'm more worried that the ROM is just entirely the wrong format for use with the software, rather than being the correct file but with an incorrect extension.

EDIT:-

After fully reading your post I would just make sure all the connections are clean on all carts and the console itself, the device sounds like it is working fine software wise but the connections may not be I am assuming that all the games work directly and you have already said the GameShark is working directly at least all the menu's ect

You can also test without codes as well just to make sure your games are passing through the cheat device

To clean the connections sometimes you can get away with just giving it a blow other times you really do need to get to the connections and clean them with rubbing alcohol
    I've disassembled the cartridges (the GameShark, and Pokémon Yellow), cleaned them; I've tried using different games with the GameShark; I've tried leaving the switch in the 'On' position when starting the game instead of having it in the 'Off' position; I've tried starting the games both with and without codes… I've pretty much done everything I possibly can short of reflashing it.

The odd thing about all of this is, I was playing Pokémon Yellow with some codes, then I decided to turn the game off for a while. It was only a minute or two, but when I turned it back on — and I didn't remove either cartridge or wiggle them or anything, either — suddenly, the game itself wouldn't boot. As I said in my first post, the Gameshark would get to its respective menus, but trying to actually start a game would yield only a blank screen.

So yeah, if you have an image for the GameShark Online or whatever, I'd love to try it! I think it's pretty much my only option at this point.