Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help running Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Thanks

Pete's D3D Driver only has the "offscreen drawing" option, so I don't really know what to put for the other settings. Just for reference, I'll go ahead and copypaste these settings though:

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.75
    Author: Pete Bernert
    GFX card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Resolution/Color:
    - 1680x1050 Window mode

Textures:
    - R8G8A8A8
    - Filtering: 6
    - Hi-Res textures: 2
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limit: on
    - Frame skipping: on
    - FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 1
    - Framebuffer texture: 0
    - Framebuffer access: 0
    - Alpha multipass: on
    - Mask bit: off
    - Advanced blending: none

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off [0]
    - Unfiltered FB: on
    - Dithering: off
    - Screen smoothing: off
    - Full vram: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]

As for checking the disc image, how exactly do I do that? I've never used redump.com before.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

look on redump they do tell you how to big hint though they do have crc check files called sfv or md5

P.S. change the compat settings to that I already listed before
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-April-2013 at 21:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Like I said, the plugin I'm using now only has one of the same settings as the last one "offscreen drawing". I tried playing with the other ones, but no luck. I also went ahead and tried the iso in the pSX emulator, but had the same problem in the same spot.

Not sure if related, but I've been running the game straight from the image file. When I tried to use the CDROM method, I found that none of the CDROM plugins recognize that I mounted the iso(tried both ccd and cue files), even though my computer recognizes it. The plugins simply don't provide an option to select the mounted drive.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you are going to mount it use Daemon Tools Lite with SPTD installed with it (it's an optional driver that comes with Daemon tools Lite) if you do not install SPTD it will not work for PSX emulation

Still sounds like an issue with the disc image though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

From what I can gather, it does seem to be a bad image file. I may need to find yet another source for the NTSC-U version.

In the meantime, I'm trying the PAL-E version again. I got SPTD installed and mounted the NTSC-U image, but when I try to run it though P.E.Op.S CDR driver 1.14(the plugin you said I need to use for the SBI file), the emulator crashes. No error message; it just closes. I tried a few other CDR drivers, and the ones that recognized the disc was mounted did run the game(though still will the same freezing issue from before). Does the same when I mount the PAL-E version as well(though it came in a .bin so I'm not sure it mounted correctly itself).

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the site I linked you has the cue file for the game, just make sure the bin file has the same name as the cue file (so both the cue and the bin are named Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver (Europe))

I will test the PAL version out for you, I'm not going to look at the NTSC version though as it sounds like I suspect that it has errors in it

I will also be using the cue file I got

EDIT checked the PAL version against the info at redump and it is correct I have the sbi file and Pete's CD plugin setup correctly to read the sbi file

I will test the game past the known freeze up part (P.S. I used run ISO no Run CD-Rom for this one but I will do a boot test anyway with D-Tools Lite for you)

My ePSXe setup is very basic because I have a low spec laptop
    Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.77
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: Intel
    GFX card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    OGL version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2302

Resolution/Color:
    - 640x480 Window mode
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
    - Filtering: 0
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: auto-detect

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer texture: 0
    - Framebuffer access: 4
    - Alpha multipass: on
    - Mask bit: on
    - Advanced blending: on

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Line mode: off
    - Unfiltered FB: on
    - 15 bit FB: on
    - Dithering: off
    - Screen smoothing: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]
    My CD plug in setup goes like
    P.E.Op.S CDR Driver 1.4
    - Interface: W2K/XP - IOCTL scsi commands (this is for Windows 2000 to Windows 8)
    - Drive: G: (that is the Daemon Tools Lite drive)
    - Read Mode: BE_2 (ATAPI SPEC 2) (You can auto detect that)
    - Caching mode: Async read - faster, additional asynchronous reads
    - Use additional 4 MByte data cashe (check)
    Misc
    - I have nothing enabled here
    Error Handling
    - Try again on reading error. Retry count (1-10) (5 but it's not really important you are using a virtual drive)
    PPF patches
    - Nothing is setup here
    Subchannel reading
    - Use subchannel SBI/M3S info file (recommended)
    - Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver (Europe).sbi is used here
    Test 1 boot from Run CDROM with CD image attached to Daemon Tools Lite via the cue file (Boots up fine)

Test 2 boot from Run ISO and play test past freezy point (freezy due to copy protection LibCrypt)

Switched to a soft plugin for video it was getting annoyingly slow for me (my system specs are rather low)

Both boot methods are working fine

At the moment I am playing to the freezy point without the sbi first so I know at what point it freezes up though I'm sure it's still within the tutorial stage or a lil after you are told about the basic controls

Well that's not the place I remember so my original may be a different release there are 2 PAL versions though and both have LibCrypt protection that let you play part of the game at least before they stop you
    (this version stops at the first battle)

Anyway onto to testing with the sbi file enabled

Seems you do need to run this from Run CDROM with the sbi enabled Run ISO doesn't work with sbi (something I forgot myself)

Anyway to sum it up

Run ISO and Run CDROM will both boot the game just fine

To bypass the protection you must use Run CDROM with the sbi enabled in the CD Plugin and the drive setup correctly

Video and sound are up to you and shouldn't cause to much of an issue though I found ePSXe's own sound plugin worked fine, for video just play round with it untill you are happy, the compat part of the video plugin should be 1,3,2 though to stop any visual glitches if the plugin has those options (soft does not because it is not needed)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-April-2013 at 11:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I put in those exact CDROM plugin settings and ran it with the sbi, and it got me past that freezing section.

Game's a little sluggish, though I'm not sure if it's plugin related(which I can just play around with the settings for), or just being lower framerate from being PAL.

In any case, thank you very much for your help.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's plugin related/system related

50FPS is what the framerate should be or just have auto-detect enabled the fact the game runs at 50FPS instead of 60FPS does not make it sligish

50FPS compared with 60FPS when the software is ment to run at those frame rates will = the same frame shown in both at the end and the start of every 50 frames for 50FPS games to every 60 frames of 60FPS software

If your system can't handle 3D plugins very well then switch to PEOpS Soft plugin, myself I had no option due to low end hardware

Anyway I'm very happy you have finally got it working, just a shame it took so long

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]