Thread: Managing ROM sets

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Managing ROM sets

So I was curious. How much organization do you guys do with full Rom sets? I like to separate by region (US, Europe, Japan) in folders and I also take out Hacks and Unlicensed games too. It makes it easier when you have a full NES rom set from No Intro and there's over 2000 files. I tend not to keep revisions (like Rev 1, 2, A, B) or protos and betas as well.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rodimus Primal View Post
    So I was curious. How much organization do you guys do with full Rom sets? I like to separate by region (US, Europe, Japan) in folders and I also take out Hacks and Unlicensed games too. It makes it easier when you have a full NES rom set from No Intro and there's over 2000 files. I tend not to keep revisions (like Rev 1, 2, A, B) or protos and betas as well.
    Maybe you could ask if you want to help out with full rom sets. It will be long and tiring, but it will be worth it for the community of EP. It would be great to have different region NES rom sets, but there would be so many other consoles where organizing would be needed.

Thanks
    EP Points

Under Windows you can use the "search" field to organize your romsets, open the NES dir, type "(USA)", select and all the file and move to NES\USA. Repeat for europe and japan.

type beta, rev, etc. if you want remove the unwanted files.

No-intro update the NES dat every 1-2 weeks, if you want the complete romset, keep the betas, revs etc.

No-Intro preserve only the "best" dumps;
    Unreleased games: Betas and protos
    Bug Fixed, Improved games: REV.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Goodtools can easily sort their rom collections into folders like this so you can easily delete the crap. You just need to digup the correct commands. I don't recall them off the top of my head, but I'm sure I posted details on how to do it here before.

Edit: Twasn't hard to find a old post:
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...17#post1313317
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

I wasn't actually asking for help with organization, but wondering how everyone else does theirs. I've thought about organizing them differently or making it front-end friendly.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I just use clrmame to scan my roms asides from that nothing

I used to use RomCenter though that can audit roms as much as clrmame does plus it acts as a nice front end (dats get out of date to easy and convertng clrmame ones gets to be a pain) asides from the dat issues it's a great bit of software that lets you do all sorts of sorts and filters so you can see what you want to see

LOL talking myself into getting it again alas I can say I don't really need it, I stick to no-intro sets for my roms anyway

I can honestly say I don't emulate as much as I used to on PC, I do most my emulating on consoles or I just use the console they are from
    Saturn, Dreamcast, PSone, PS2, Xbox, DS on 3DS & PSP all play the games
    Lesser systems are emulated on the Xbox PSP 3DS and a few light gun games get played via the Wii for obvious reasons normally Mastersystem, Megadrive, NES & SNES

360 and PS3 are not modded in any way and are going to stay like that for a very long time asides from the Wii in general I don't like to have newer systems hacked, I know I use a flash kit on the 3DS but thats for older DS games not for 3DS games

PS I hate those good sets, just all the junk they have in them i would rather have sets of retail games yes every revision of game x but not every single dump ever done be it good or bad, hacked or trained and most the homebrew that gets included in some of the sets are pure junk aswell
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-February-2013 at 22:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Interesting. I like No-Intro's policy on best ROM available and discarding overdumps and the like, but I may be a stickler for organizing, which is why I put them all in folders. I may have to try RomCenter instead of ClrMAMEPro.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ClrMamePro will not sort or organize anything it is just for verifying your roms and can be confusing to new users

You could use both though

RomCenter does what ClrMamePro does but is a lot more user friendly (asides from the dat converting) and can be used as a front end and oranize your roms for easy viewing with customisable filters

They are both worth looking at though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR