Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESR help for noobie!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default ESR help for noobie!

Hi I really need help getting backups to work in esr I've already made 20 coasters and only 2 running games and 1 glitchy at start but works fine in game disc.
    I burned them at 2x 4x 6x and 8x with both dvd decryptor and imgburn they all either give a black screen and nothing else or colors pink red blue then a black screen or freeze laser stops spinning at the first load up screen.

so can some give me some help that will make ones that actually boot i dont want to make any more coasters and yes the laser works great, its a model 50001 fmcb'ed and the games were on the compatibility list. the discs i used were maxell 4.7gb 16x dvd-r.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Are those Maxwell discs made by CMC?

Because they're terrible, and the possible cause of your problems.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

they are the yellow type that says 2 hours sp mode. If they are the problem then how good are memorex dvd-r?
    I've used the cd-r's for ps1 backups without problems so would the dvd's work better then the ones my brother's girlfriend pawned off on me or are they just as bad? They're the only two options my walmart carries.
    The memorex worked fine when I burned wii games silent hill shattered memories and resident evil the darkside chronicles.
    Last edited by soratron; 6th-February-2013 at 10:05.

Thanks
    EP Points

Depends on the manufacturer.
    Maxwell and Memorex are just brand names, both could be made by CMC (which is bad).

I do know that some Maxwell media was Ritek (which is ok for cheap stuff), but it has been a while since I looked at Maxwell myself...and most of the Memorex DVD media I've seen locally over here has actually been Ritek.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

define what you mean by cheap stuff?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by soratron View Post
    define what you mean by cheap stuff?
    Cheaply made and it should be cheap to buy (although many retailers won't sell cheaply made discs for a cheap price, because they're branded Verbatim, TDK etc).

But of the cheaply made media Ritek isn't bad at all really.
    You'll still get a coaster sometimes (maybe one out of every 50 or 100 if you're doing everything right with burning and disc care), but they're certainly better than CMC.
    Moser Baer (India) is another cheap media you should try to avoid.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD+R will give you better results in general but your model is an older bulky one so it may not be able to read DVD+R media at all due to the first few PS2's being released before there was DVD+R media (for testing though you can try burning a DVD movie onto DVD+R)

If not then you realy do want the highest quality DVD-R media as most will give you coaster after coaster

Burning speed = slowest possible, just set ImgBurn to use 1x (DVDdecryptor will work just as good again speed set to 1x, even though it is just an outdated version of ImgBurn) [Your burner may force it to burn at a higher speed (1.5x or 2x), but that higher speed is going to get you the best results]

Shop online for your media instead of popping into WallMart better deals more choice, you can always limit it to amazon sold by amazon if you are unsure about online shopping.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia has a great guide for media in general

There are atleast 23 types of Memorex DVD5 DVD-R discs with atleast 6 being CMC

Better still just use http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com (It's free )

Run the software insert your media blank or otherwise and hit Identify

Sample results from one of my own Verbatim discs

Untitled.png

Also look under the 'Media code block' to find what you need to search for over at VideoHelp it's usually the Manufacturer ID + Media Type ID but for the example it is slighty different to that being MCC.....004 not MCC004 (You can select copy and paste from the above though) when you have the exact info you can do an exact match search over at Video Help

EDIT:- I do have a compat list up for ESR by the way, I don't have every single game on there but some games do have problems running through ESR, most don't though the biggest issue is that R media reads slower than pressed media so some not many though have problems with stuttering fmv

ESR compat list Most the ones I fail are CD to DVD converts but even most of those do work without a glitch I can use DVD+R media though that automatically makes my PS2's ESR compat higher
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-February-2013 at 13:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm using a newer 50001 than my old 30001 R it plays my 2 working backups sega allstars and time crisis 3 like it should and i checked the compat list alone in the dark, life line, armored core 2, spyro enter, and arcana heart was on the list as well as area 51, I just saw a vid on youtube he was using a dvd+r hp invent on a ps2 30001 R. the memorex dvd-r's i've used only had 2 worked for wii without any problems and i burned the last ones of the maxell not maxwell at 2x their max was 16x.
    SO i just want to know will i get the same results with memorex as the wii or will they burn out like the maxell?
    Told you guys once before 1 dollar is a gods send around this town lately and 2 no plastic, no online.
    Last edited by soratron; 8th-February-2013 at 15:16.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by soratron View Post
    SO i just want to know will i get the same results with memorex as the wii or will they burn out like the maxell?
    No, the Wii's tolerances will be different. I can't rightly say if it'll be better or worse as I've never burnt a Wii game in my life and there are certainly tolerance variations within the range of Wii models. But the point is you shouldn't make assumptions because it did or didn't work on a particular device, every device will have its own quirks.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry i also forgot to mention the state they were in, lots of scratches on the bottom aside from the ones i mentioned that worked fine could this also be a factor in why the burning failed to work on my ps2?
    And I used the memorex cd-r's in my ps2 for ps1 games and after doing the browser swap trick they boot up just fine no black screen of death or lag just right into the game so thats why i was asking of the dvd's would do the trick since no ps1 game has given me problems like ps2 games do.
    is it also because of where i get the iso's cause i get them from here?
    Last edited by soratron; 8th-February-2013 at 16:25.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just check if the disc you are using are rubbish or not I give you all the info you need to find out

saying Memorex or Maxwell is not enough information

The PS2 hardware is very particular to what it will read more so for DVD's

DVD-R's if you generalise it is a poor format
    DVD+R's if you generalise it is a good format

both can have good and bad though (DVD+R is best though if compared with the best of DVD-R to the best of DVD+R. DVD+R wins does on the bottom line aswell)

scratched discs before even burning on them = fail even if the game does manage to boot there will be damaged files that could not written onto the disc without error so at some point you will not be able to play that disc
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-February-2013 at 18:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

the disc the has the problem you just stated is spyro a heros tail, i just thought the stuttering was from having a download from winrar going.
    while my sega eyetoy game has booted since i made it 3 weeks ago.
    I did ID the discs they're ritekf1, +r wont work on mine so is the -r good or craptacular. the only +r i have with a video on it is dual layer i know it cant read those... ive tried.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

forget about DL discs most PS2 hardware will find it hard to read DVDDL-R's and +R's

just make sure for your DVD-R that you get the best you can, if it's from your local store, try whatever ones they have but take note of the data

there are good DVD-R's out there just not as good as you can get DVD+R's

Memorex ritekf1 are good http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/me...itekf1-16/3499 (double check the Media code block)

P.S. it's not the disc ID on it's you need to look at but both the brand and the ID
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-February-2013 at 18:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thanks for the helpful replies i'll see in hopefully before next month if i can get some to test on and see how they go. the ones i mentioned worked great i burned at 4x if i get new discs is that what you guys would vouch as the best speed to burn ps2 isos at or should i go higher or lower?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lower the better already said that though

set ImgBurn to 1x your hardware will adjust that to it's min burning speed if it's lowest is higher than that

A big hint though burning hardware have different burning speeds the lowest on one machine may be 4x but on another it will be 1x but on the one that has the lowest of 1x burning at 4x may fail badly but that does not say that burning at 4x is a bad thing to do with the drive that has the lowest burning speed of 4x

All burning hardware operates best at it's slowest speed and good software will manage burning at the lowest speed with good buffers for both hardware and mem
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-February-2013 at 20:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]