Thread: psx, vcd and gameshark?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default psx, vcd and gameshark?

Hi yes another question for the ps1; does any know if I need to get the psx add-on with the switch for backups to vcds or can i use a gameshark cartridge [pro v3.0] to play vcds and which would be cheaper and the vcds were burnt with nero in avi format [mummies alive.avi] would the gameshark let me view it or not?
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The AR3pro and GS3pro can't play VCD's never could

Call it an error on there end as the bax does say something about playing video (I don't remember the exact words they used but I do own the Action Replay version, it was actually flashed with the Gameshark version of 3 pro, no difference at all asides from the name and frame rate), it can't even play in-game FMV they do have great features but playing V-CD's is not one of them.

VCD's are horrible quality anyway, just burn a few VCD's and play em on a DVD player or even better just encode a VCD quality avi and play it on your PC, they are nasty, the main reason they never took off

If you really must have video's on a PSX though there are little bits of software to make PSX video CD's, for a couple of samples I done some years ago (I don't have the software to do those anymore or even remember what I used so please do not ask me)

examples can be found at http://www.emuparadise.me/roms/psxmods/

I have a Wesker Report disc and a Zelda disc both just PC movie files originally that I converted/split when needed and burned along with a very basic gui

I had fun back in the day with those, but it really was back in the day I wouldn't have a clue now.

Google round you may get lucky, but that really is old stuff so i imagine it will be difficult to get the correct info, specially as PSX FMV uses XA headers <- at least i remember that.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-January-2013 at 01:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

dvd player makes scerrrinsh noise when playing athe whole movie even audio discs and I'm trying to get them off pc and yes ive heard of dvd but i dont have any left tried to get god of war 2 on esr on last one others made family movie discs so all i have left are the six cd-rs i just bought for psx games tm4 and doom -chrono trigger -ff7 backing up games made 25-pack down go down to 6 when i remembered that i read about gameshark plays fmv and that some said they converted an avi file to str and got it to play and about this vcd add on the attatches like the ar pro could so i wanted to know which was a better option.
    also when burning psx vcds how big screen wise can they be and in what format is the best to burn them in?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

read my fat edit

the better device is the AR3/GS3 but for V-CD playback you are stuck with the specific hardware addon as AR3/GS3 can't play FMV or V-CD's even though the box for both the AR3 and GS3 both pro say they can play FMV when infact they just can't, it was an error maybe a planned feature but it never made it for the retail product, even the VHS you get with those carts says it features FMV playback, sadly it just doesn't

Just about all 3rd party back port mods can play FMV though (STR files), just not the AR3/GS3 pro
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-January-2013 at 01:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

yes i read the whole post and googled around but couldn't find software that worked on windows 7 home premium. want to make them before i have to delete em for space hdd 282gb-99gb from psx isos and videos from old recordable tapes and parents vid cam tapes and wow so im really hurtting on space and dont want to delete mummies alive had a hard time finding all episodes without commercials in good quality plus with psio coming out possible summer mabe i can stand to kill the laser.
    i read on a forum site dated 1999-2003 dates that five people say that they converted avi to str and got them to play on gs cartridge fmv viewer. so was looking to see if i was about to waste discs and lose my files or if this method would work and if not if someone knew how good that gramar add on works vcd wise.

ps what format do i burn the vcd videos in avi mp4 3gp?
    Last edited by soratron; 22nd-January-2013 at 06:24.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not sure if Win7 Home Prem was one of the versions that let you, but there is a free version of Virtual PC that has Windows XP included direct from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

MPEG-1 Video stream + MPEG-1 Audio Layer II 44.1 Hz = VCD

352x240 at 29.97FPS or 23.976FPS NTSC 4:3 only

352x288 at 25FPS PAL 4:3 only

there is no widescreen for VCD's you can create a black border though, but the width remains at 352

VCD's don't have a container much like DVD's don't

mp4 avi and 3gp are all container files and can have various encodings (codec's) inside them, including the above if you just want to see what it's like, also remember that CD's are only 700MB apx standard up to 870MB for those 99min CD-R's, Mpeg-1 is not a high quality compressed codec either unlike DivX or Xvid so don't expect anything great with the above limitations

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: