Thread: Wii Ocarina problem

Thanks

Default Wii Ocarina problem

On my softmodded Wii, I use NeoGamma to load backup discs and the like. That works fine, but recently I put that Ocarina cheat program thing on the SD card for NeoGamma and gave it a try for a change of pace.

For a while, it worked fine and the games loaded with the cheats I input and the like. However, for the last three days or so, for seemingly no reason, whenever I try to load a game with Ocarina enabled, I get a "FAT error" message.

Does anyone know what this means and how I can go about fixing it? Once or twice during this time, I tried loading it and the cheats were enabled like normal, but now almost every time I get the "FAT error" message instead. The game itself loads up afterwards, but the cheats aren't activated.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If it's from SD formatted as FAT and the games are from HD (formatted as something other than FAT) it is very like a fault with the SD, recommend you copy the entire SD to your PC and reformat it, preferably with a SD formater tool and copy your file back to the SD afterwards

Can't say I have come across this myself personally though no, but I have had issues with what have seemed to be fine micro SD's in DS flash kits that didn't work in the flash kit but read fine on my laptop, that backing up the entire card, reformatting it and copying the files back had made it work again from not working at all

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oad/index.html <- SD formatter
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-December-2012 at 22:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Well, reformatting didn't seem to work as I still get a FAT error. Thank you very much for the help, all the same. It was the only suggestion I've gotten, so I appreciate it

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What partitions do you have on the HDD you use with your Wii?

I do not store any cheat files on my SD card instead I use a fat partition on the HDD so maybe if your SD card is not working for this change the path to use the HDD instead, make sure that both the text cheats folder and other folder (I forget what the other folder file types are) that is used are both changed

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I don't know what a partition or an HDD is, unfortunately. I use use a 514mb sd card to store the cheats, since I used the card to softmod the Wii. Everything is (saved games and stuff) are just on the Wii's internal memory

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

HDD = Hard Disc Drive
    Partition = ....google it basically it's a way to split one HDD into more smaller HDD's, laptops normally have this done by default so your computer will show you have 2 HDD's when really you only have one HDD split into 2 1 is usually just your main HDD and the other is a recovery partition/HDD

The best way to run wii games is from HDD not from disc though

1. retail discs run slower than HDD
    2. burned discs run slower than retail discs and will lag in some games
    3. USB HDD loads games the fastest and you are not going to get any laser issues from playing burned media

If you don't want to go down that route then you can either use a SD up to 2GB, to store your cheats on or a USB stick formatted as FAT, make sure to plug it in the most outer USB port (the one closest to the edge of the console)

If you do want to use an HC SD card make sure it is the fastest you can afford the Class = the speed, recommend at least class (4), but preferably higher

Myself I have a 2TB HDD with 3 partitions 2 partitions are WBFS for Wii game storage and 1 FAT partition for emulators & roms & all support files including cheat files & covers ect.., I do have a SD card but it is a standard 2GB one (it's not a HC one) not much is stored on there at the moment, when I get the time I will be changing the way my partitions are set and make the FAT partition the first partition and make it larger for GameCube game use
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-December-2012 at 15:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]