Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Milady With Her New PSP~

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Help Milady With Her New PSP~

As some of you probably know, I have a PSP 3000 that will be delivered tomorrow afternoon, and I'm planning on setting up a CFW so that I can grab some of our uploads and start adding to my already immense backlog. I've read the guide that we have stickied here, along with at least three others scattered about the internet, and I'm just not satisfied. Either I simply need to sleep and spend more time browsing the internet with this computer rather than my little 7" tablet, or they are all unavoidably messy and semi-difficult to follow as a result of all the different PSP models and types of CFW. You will hopefully forgive me then for starting this thread as a convenience to myself, so that I can waste as little time as possible when I finally have some time at home. It's much easier for me to favorite a single thread on Tapatalk to check for updates than to dig through the Hangout or Retro to make sure I haven't missed any bits of advice.

I am unsure if it can be determined exactly which firmware I should use prior to my having the system, or if I will need to inspect which version of the OFW has come loaded, read datecodes, etc. I have also read that some of the CFWs are not permanent, in that they will revert back to the OFW when the PSP is powered off or if the battery dies. This is something I would like to avoid, if possible. Also, I am somewhat fond of the default XMB look, being a PS3 user. Many of the screenshots I have seen have looked very different, so if there is a CFW that looks more like the OFW, that'd be nice (although I'm not too picky)~

So, what do you guys recommend? Is there anything I can download now and have ready to transfer over to the memory card as soon as it arrives, or do I need to do a bit of investigating first? Is there anything else I need to consider that I haven't already?

And of course, thank you in advance, gentlemen.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol wrong section, but I will move it

Then I will read it propperly

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Since you have a 3000, right now you can either use PRO or ME CFW, IIRC. PRO is by far the easiest since the installer has been signed to work on OFW (ME you needed some type of HEn (Homebrew Enabler), and it is still in active development.

As long as your PSP is 6.20, 6.35, 6.39, or 6.60, it really will not matter what OFW you have. If it does not come installed with one of those versions, then simply download one of those versions (I'd recommend trying to keep it as low as possible).
    EDIT: and put it in your GAME folder, then update it from the XMB.

Also, all (or at least almost all) CFW come with the default XMB. Those people have either flashed their PSP (again), or used CXMB.

Since you have a 3000, that means you have a post-TA-88V3 motherboard, so you can't get permanent CFW, but trust me this is mostly a non-issue. All you have to do is go to Game ---> Fast recovery and a few seconds later (literally), you're back to CFW.

EDIT: And don't worry, installing PRO is just a matter of drag'n'drop, and it is just as risky as updating the OFW.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 3rd-December-2012 at 19:51.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Will merge in a bit

Anyway from what I understand the old modding methods are out the window due to the 3k models starting at higher versions of the firmware

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?63698 is the guide you want and seems very much up to date

the google sites last update was 6.60 PRO-B10.fix1 / 6.39 PRO-B10.fix1 / 6.35 PRO-B10.fix1 / 6.20 PRO-B10.fix1

just see what you have when you get your PSP
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-December-2012 at 19:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    the google sites last update was 6.60 PRO-B10.fix1 / 6.39 PRO-B10.fix1 / 6.35 PRO-B10.fix1 / 6.20 PRO-B10.fix1

just see what you have when you get your PSP
    It's been updated to PRO-C fix3 now
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)

Thanks
    EP Points

Sorry, Zorly~

I suppose then that I should be able to go ahead and set up a little folder on my PC based on that guide and then drop it on the memory card when it gets here. I just wish there weren't so many 12 hour shifts between me and actually being able to do something with this. T__T

Edit: Just kidding, like you guys just told me, I'll have to hang out a bit and see which OFW version it comes with. It seems like you can downgrade it though, in order to use a permanent patch?
    Last edited by Milady; 3rd-December-2012 at 20:29.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol nothing to be sorry about

Yeah it's rather easy to mod

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    Edit: Just kidding, like you guys just told me, I'll have to hang out a bit and see which OFW version it comes with. It seems like you can downgrade it though, in order to use a permanent patch?
    You can downgrade it to 6.20 with Chronoswitch to get permanent CFW (not 6.60 or 6.39 since you have a 3000)*, but there isn't much of a point. Also, I remember there was a few specific homebrew apps that only worked with 6.20 and lower though, so I guess you may want to look into it.

*EDIT: Well, assuming the PSP came shipped with 6.20 or lower.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 3rd-December-2012 at 21:09.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)

Thanks
    EP Points

Having the CFW drop with a hard boot is probably the best thing ever. Have all your free gaemz, and then reboot and go on the PSN store. Reboot, and OMG OMG FREA GAEMZ AGIN!!

So, yeah.

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think you really need a permanent CFW, it takes like 5 seconds to reboot a temporary one, and that's only if you turn your PSP off (I personally keep mine in sleep mode quite often).

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I don't think you really need a permanent CFW, it takes like 5 seconds to reboot a temporary one, and that's only if you turn your PSP off (I personally keep mine in sleep mode quite often).
    Same here. And it's not really a reboot anyway...you just run ProRecovery from the game folder.

Thanks
    EP Points

I used to dual-boot CFW and OFW but that was years ago. Not even sure if anythings been released since then to allow this with the newer CFWs though

Edit: Also I don't know if they'll be compatible but I have some emulators that I'd be willing to share. Nothing special really they just have custom animated icons and sounds. That's ICON0.pmf's and PIC1s to those PSP techies here. And yes I made them myself, UMD Stream Composer FTW.

I'll go ahead and list them here in case your interested in looking them up. Some of these might have updates but they have all worked perfect for me in the past.

N64= DeadalusX64 (Beta 2 I believe)
    NES= NesterJ 1.11 RM (This version allows you to rewind game play)
    SNES= Snes9x TYL mecm (I forget what revision has I don't have my PSP)
    Genesis= PicoDrive 1.51
    GBA= GPSP-J (Forgot revision also)
    GB= RIN 1.32 RM ( Allows you to rewind game play)
    Atari 2600= PSP2600 (Forgot version. Damn I need another PSP again).

And here's the link to mine with the custom icons and what not. If you wanna take a looksie cool. If not my feelings won't be hurt

P.S. these all go in your GAME folder.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by _User_; 4th-December-2012 at 00:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by _User_ View Post
    I used to dual-boot CFW and OFW but that was years ago. Not even sure if anythings been released since then to allow this with the newer CFWs though
    Easy 6.20 DualBoot
    Last edited by Alakazander; 4th-December-2012 at 02:14.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)

Thanks
    EP Points

Seconded all the people saying Fast Recovery makes the dropping CFW a non-issue. Using a lower version CFW that's permanent is actually a bit more of a pain anyway, since you'll have to jump through hoops to get certain games that require newer firmware to play. Granted, it usually won't be many hoops, but it's still more hoops than just always running the Fast Recovery program after booting up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu View Post
    Seconded all the people saying Fast Recovery makes the dropping CFW a non-issue. Using a lower version CFW that's permanent is actually a bit more of a pain anyway, since you'll have to jump through hoops to get certain games that require newer firmware to play. Granted, it usually won't be many hoops, but it's still more hoops than just always running the Fast Recovery program after booting up.
    Does sleeping the PSP remove the hack?