Thread: Looking to buy a DS, which version is best for specific requests.

Thanks

Default Looking to buy a DS, which version is best for specific requests.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a Nintendo DS to complement my Japanese studies. I was told only the regular DS and DS lite allows you to play back-up games and allows region free capability. Then I read somewhere that the newest DS could also be "hacked" to allow these features.

So first I want to confirm these things.

Next, I'm mainly looking to play Japanese games, so my concern is screen quality and size. Right now, Japanese text is still difficult for me to distinguish, so I'm looking for the biggest screen, but also a good resolution;basically a screen that will display clearest text.

Thank you for your suggestions and help!
    Also note, I'm looking to buy a USED DS, so if some carts are not being sold anymore, I may still be able to score one.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can use most flashcards that were made for the DSi with a 3DS, but only in DS mode (you can't play 3DS games, just original DS games and homebrew), and they are routinely blocked by firmware updates. So there really is no point in getting one right now.

I think the best DS for your needs would be a DSi XL. Like the name implies, it is an extra large version of the DSi. The only problem is that even used, you will have to shell out around 80 bucks (around 20 dollars more than a DS Lite), plus at least another 20 or so for a decent flashcard (I'd recommend Acekard 2i, by the way) and another 8-30 (depending on size and speed) for your MicroSD card.

Also, there was a Japanese dictionary homebrew app I saw once, so you may want to look into that.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 11th-November-2012 at 18:42.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I'd second what Alakazander said, the DSi XL is the way to go.

About region free capability. DS games are region free, DSi and 3DS games are region locked AFAIK. This doesn't mean the DSi XL hardware is region locked though, it'll still play all the games a DS and DS Lite will, it just can't play the handful of import DSi games that are out there (none of which are worth your time).
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Thank you so much for your posts-very informative.
    I will look into the DSi XL.

As for memory cards what is recommended for speeds?
    I will be fine with 2-4GB for storage but I don't know much about speeds.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigmit37 View Post
    Thank you so much for your posts-very informative.
    I will look into the DSi XL.

As for memory cards what is recommended for speeds?
    I will be fine with 2-4GB for storage but I don't know much about speeds.
    Class 6 or higher.
    My 4GB class 4 works all right, but prices are dropping like mad. With the money I spent on that card three years ago, I could now buy an 8GB Class 6...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A bunch of Pro's and Con's

4GB Class (4) or more should be more than enough you can get ones that are 32GB Class (10) now (I have 3 ) though but to be honest thats overkill for DS software and even if you did it would take an age just to go through the list of roms on it

The Class = the apx speed the thing can be read at the higher the class the less like you are to get issues from reading speed

You could get a DSLite and a DS flash kit with a GBA 3 in 1 cart or simular and have both DS and GBA software at your fingures

For DSlite the M3Real kits with GBA expantion is ideal for this (a lil more expensive than some kits but not vastly [Might be a lil difficult to find now]) thats both GBA and DS covered (GBA 3in1 carts tend to have a lower compat from what has been said online personly I wouldn't know about that I own the M3Real set for my DSLite)

For DSi up just grab an AceKard2i (Do not update the system though recently with the 3DS side anyway the latest update as with all updates blocks flash kits DSi have also blocked some flash kits including the AceKard2i at times so you need to update the flash kit before updating the system) sorry only DS software here (Still good though I have a 3DS and an AceKard2i and the thing runs great, no patching no messing)

There are emulators for the DS NES GameGear Mastersystem and GBC downover that run very well, there are also megadrive/Genesis and SNES emulators but don't expect those to look nice or run perfect, the Megadrive one is the better one and can run alot of games just about perfect but the screen is a lil too small (DSiXL can't help there either the res is the same), the SNES one is somewhat poor (DSi and 3DS can only use software for DS mode aswell from a flash kit so don't think you can get better emulation from those consoles, you can't) there is also a whole host of homebrew aswell

If you are getting a 2nd hand DSi or 3DS please be aware that you might find that getting a new AceKard2i with out it being fully updated will mean that it will just not work if the DSi and or 3DS is updated same goes for XL models of both. The DS/DSlite does not have this issue as it never was updated in the way the DSi and 3DS consoles do

As for a clear picture they are all fine there the screens are very sharp, if anything a bigger screen will take away from the HD look but thats up to you.

The only DS I will not recomend is the original DS because it has no back light and can be difficult to see in certain lights so only look at DSLite/DSi/DSiXL/3DS/3DSXL
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-November-2012 at 17:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

"If you are getting a 2nd hand DSi or 3DS please be aware that you might find that getting a new AceKard2i with out it being fully updated will mean that it will just not work if the DSi and or 3DS is updated same goes for XL models of both. The DS/DSlite does not have this issue as it never was updated in the way the DSi and 3DS consoles do"

So I have to make sure the AceKard2i is updated before the DSi is updated?
    I'm assuming the only way to update the AceKard2i is through a DS?
    So what firmware should the AceKard2i be on at the moment,
    and what firmware should the DS be on so that they are compatible?

Thanks for the info.

Also, for the post above you, thank you, I will look into Class 6 or higher then.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes

You can update the AceKard2i via a DSi aslong as you do it before the you update the DSi if not then yes it can only be done via a DS or DSLite

Acekard.com has the updates, the last one was ak2ifw_update_3ds43_dsi144 the kernal (AKAIO) is just the software that runs on the card and is not part of firmware AKAIO is stored on the memcard and is the gui to load the roms, ak2ifw is flashed to the actual card (once updated you can delete the ak2ifw updater)

The DS or DSLite itself does not have firmware updates so any will do then if your talking about the DSi and 3DS then the above update kinda tells you but incase you don't know what I'm saying 3DS (normal and XL) needs to be 1.3.XX or lower and DSi (normal and XL) needs to be 1.44 or lower to work with the last officially posted update for AceKard2i
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-November-2012 at 19:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks! Got it.

Thanks

It looks like I have a AceKard2 that I bought a while back (It's not the "i" version).
    I just found it.

Is that still compatible with DSi XL? I may buy from Walmart during Black Friday.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope

No i as in DSi, thats why they called the AceKard2i 2i to indicate it works with the newer DSi at the time

The regular AceKard2 does not work with the DSi

The regular AceKard2 also does not have firmware updates that are needed by flash kits to work on the newer DSi and 3DS
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-November-2012 at 23:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

Someone wanted to sell me the card for $25 used. But I feel like that's a bit expensive and I can get it cheaper.

"$25, it comes with a 8GB microSD card (which is already loaded w/ DS games)"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I take it you atleast have a DS so you can update your Acekard2i's firmware when you do get one

P.S. a PSP might be a beter option if you want a bigger screen and be able to play both jap and english games to do comparitive translations, though you know that translations to english games officially are not always that accurate to start with

Not only does the PSP have a bigger screen but the res is also higher so it's not like the DSi XL that has the same Res and as normal DS but stretches the image instead to a larger screen, the PSP's screen is also bigger than the DSiXL and 3DSXL

PSP can be softmodded easy enough, and just runs software from memstick pro due (or you can get an adaptor so you can use 2x micro SD's)

PSPGo has different memory storage though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-November-2012 at 00:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I take it you atleast have a DS so you can update your Acekard2i's firmware when you do get one

P.S. a PSP might be a beter option if you want a bigger screen and be able to play both jap and english games to do comparitive translations, though you know that translations to english games officially are not always that accurate to start with

Not only does the PSP have a bigger screen but the res is also higher so it's not like the DSi XL that has the same Res and as normal DS but stretches the image instead to a larger screen, the PSP's screen is also bigger than the DSiXL and 3DSXL

PSP can be softmodded easy enough, and just runs software from memstick pro due (or you can get an adaptor so you can use 2x micro SD's)

PSPGo has different memory storage though
    Thanks for this, though I already have a PSP. The thing with the PSP is that most games don't use furigana (which helps with the reading of Kanji) while most DS games seem to have furigana above the Kanji.
    That's why I'm looking for a DS at the moment.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigmit37 View Post
    Thanks for this, though I already have a PSP. The thing with the PSP is that most games don't use furigana (which helps with the reading of Kanji) while most DS games seem to have furigana above the Kanji.
    That's why I'm looking for a DS at the moment.
    Okies just an idea, personly I wouldn't know the difference, I can only read english and badly at that lol

Well I gave you the pro's and con's of each model so it's up to you realy

Personly the most fool proof was in a DSlite or DS (DSLite is prefured because it has a better screen and has a backlight)

I do own a 3DS and the major prob is with updates cards get blocked, the same applies to the DSi
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-November-2012 at 19:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]