Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ePSXe volume off

Thanks

Default ePSXe volume off

I'm looking for a way to turn the volume off, temporarily, for my Final Fantasy VIII game in ePSXe 1.7.0. While I'm incessantly playing the card game, I don't need the volume. So I'd like to be able to play music in Winamp in the background.

I've tried adding -nosound at the end of an ePSXe shortcut that I put on my desktop. Well it worked, sort of. The volume was off, but there were bugs. The game wouldn't load without me loading a save state. And when I tried to play the card game, it never loaded. I think I'm adding the -nosound right. I right-click the shortcut, go to Properties. Then in the Target field, AFTER the last quote mark, I add a space then type -nosound. Is that correct?

So does anyone know how to turn off the sound in ePSXe so I can listen to music in the background?

Thanks
    EP Points

When you first open ePSXe got to options and click on the "Sound" option.

You will see a option that says "Enable Sound" with a small box that is checked next to it. Simply uncheck the box and then click "OK".

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 14258
Size:  64.7 KB

Just hit the volume icon on your desktop's task bar then hit Mixer, you can mute ePSXe there and keep the volume on, on your other progs

Thats even easyer than restarting ePSXe to mute and enable the sound
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-November-2012 at 23:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Unfortunately, neither of those things work.

My Volume Mixer (using Windows 7) doesn't show all of my applications that are running for some reason. Some show and some don't. Two programs that won't show in my Mixer are Winamp and ePSXe. I don't have any idea why that is. I've tried looking it up on Google but can't find anything on how to fix it or why it's happening.

As far as the "Enable Sound" checkbox goes, I get the same problem as when I add the -nosound tag at the end of the Target field in Properties. The game won't load and inside the game is buggy if I load a save state.

However, I did finally find a fix. You have to use the Null Driver sound plugin for ePSXe. However, this only works if you want NO sound at all. It doesn't work for adjusting volume up or down.

Here is a thread on Emuforums that explains the bug when unchecking "Enable Sound" and further discusses this bug/issue. It also gives a link to the Null Driver plugin so if anyone who reads this is looking for the same thing that I was, you'll know where to find the answer.

http://forums.ngemu.com/showthread.php?t=131442

Thank you guys for trying to help though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 14258
Size:  64.7 KB
    Not everyone has moved from XP to Vista/7 yet just sayin'.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Not everyone has moved from XP to Vista/7 yet just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalena View Post
    My Volume Mixer (using Windows 7)
    ePSXe has moved to version 1.8.0 so that version might be worth a shot & may fix some of those issues you get having sound disabled, save states will mess up anyway though so try using in game saves instead when possible
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-November-2012 at 11:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ePSXe has moved to version 1.8.0 so that version might be worth a shot & may fix some of those issues you get having sound disabled, save states will mess up anyway though so try using in game saves instead when possible
    Thanks for the head's up. I didn't know 1.8.0 was out. I have 1.7.0 working fine now though with that Null Driver on Sound. Works perfectly to turn sound off. And save states work fine in 1.7.0 so I'll probably wait on trying 1.8.0 til they fix save states. I'm playing Final Fantasy 8 and am playing a lot of card games and it's a huge pain to have to run to the save point between each card game. So save states are a huge benefit to playing this on the emulator.

But I do really appreciate you letting me know about 1.8.0. Hey, until a couple of months ago, I was still using 1.6.0. *laugh*

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Fix save states???

Save States is not broken so nothing to fix

Save States are a problem because they save the emulator settings state aswell as the game state this goes for just about every emulator with settings and using save states so changing the settings then loading a save state is pointless

1.8.0 only came out on the 9th of this month lol

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Fix save states???

Save States is not broken so nothing to fix

Save States are a problem because they save the emulator settings state aswell as the game state this goes for just about every emulator with settings and using save states so changing the settings then loading a save state is pointless

1.8.0 only came out on the 9th of this month lol
    You said "save states will mess up anyway though so try using in game saves instead when possible" which led me to believe that save states weren't working properly in 1.8.0.

I don't really understand what you mean, though, about save states and settings. Could you explain it for dummies, cuz I am one. *laugh* I've been using save states in 1.7.0 and it seems to work fine. Loads the game back to where I save stated it.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

say you played something like Final Fantasy 7 thats needs special fixes to display correctly but so far you played through alot of the first disc only using save states

You were told how to fix issues you had been getting (battle swirl and cursors not showing) that are fixed with Video plugin settings in the special fixes section

So you changed the video plugin setup to use special fixes and loaded up a save state that does not have the special fix enabled... because that save state was created when you had other settings used

You go ahead and change those so the special fix is enabled then you load up your save state, much to your supprise the battles still don't display correctly

The reason would be because you loaded up a save state that had no special fixes enabled so loading that save state just undone the settings you just changed

If you had loaded in an ingame save from a memcard the above would not happen as memcard saves do not store any emulator information in them

This is why we advise to use both ingame saving and save states and never use save states exclusivly because if an issue arrises that just needs a settings tweek and you just used save states you would need to start a new game specially if the save state was used just before the game froze
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-November-2012 at 17:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

say you played something like Final Fantasy 7 thats needs special fixes to display correctly but so far you played through alot of the first disc only using save states

You were told how to fix issues you had been getting (battle swirl and cursors not showing) that are fixed with Video plugin settings in the special fixes section

So you changed the video plugin setup to use special fixes and loaded up a save state that does not have the special fix enabled... because that save state was created when you had other settings used

You go ahead and change those so the special fix is enabled then you load up your save state, much to your supprise the battles still don't display correctly

The reason would be because you loaded up a save state that had no special fixes enabled so loading that save state just undone the settings you just changed

If you had loaded in an ingame save from a memcard the above would not happen as memcard saves do not store any emulator information in them

This is why we advise to use both ingame saving and save states and never use save states exclusivly because if an issue arrises that just needs a settings tweek and you just used save states you would need to start a new game specially if the save state was used just before the game froze
    Got it! Now I understand. Well, cool. I've been doing it right then cuz I use both. Whenever I run by a save point, I save to the mem card. And when I'm out on the world map, I still save to mem card once in a while. I've done it cuz I fear what if I save state and for some reason it didn't take. So I save to the card just to be safe. So I guess I'm doing it right.

But, question. This is just for the sake of curiosity so I'm not arguing or debating at all. What if after you make setting changes and load up your game and save state right after you load it. That would save your changes to the settings right? Oh, but I see the problem. If your last save was a save state and not an ingame save, you're forced to load your last state to get your game back which nullifies the settings you just made. I see. So, to avoid that, I'm guessing that the best thing to do is try to make sure your final save before you exit the emulator is an in-game save rather than a save state, right?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes and Not always no aslong as you have a memcard save then even if the last save made was a save state you still have the ememcard save to go back to but your last save can be a save state

Yep you get it though

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes and Not always no aslong as you have a memcard save then even if the last save made was a save state you still have the ememcard save to go back to but your last save can be a save state

Yep you get it though
    Awesome. Thanks!

Quick unrelated question here. I just noticed these "Credits" on the right side of the page. What are Credits? Can you spend them on something? If there's a thread that explains it, feel free to link that and I can read about it so you don't have to do a bunch of typing on stuff that's already been covered.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Anjalena View Post
    Awesome. Thanks!

Quick unrelated question here. I just noticed these "Credits" on the right side of the page. What are Credits? Can you spend them on something? If there's a thread that explains it, feel free to link that and I can read about it so you don't have to do a bunch of typing on stuff that's already been covered.
    On the arcade and other things up the top of forum, I don't bother myself so I'm half guessing here

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are a lot of games that will get errors from save states. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for example, will get severe sound bugs among other things, which is why I personally use only Mem Card saves.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.