Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 lid broken

Thanks

Unhappy PS2 lid broken

Hi all, the lid on my Playstation 2 is broken. I accidentally tugged the controller cords on it a few months back and as a result the lid became unhinged. now it won't play any discs because the system doesn't think the lid is closed even when i have the lid fully closed. I've been looking online for cheap repair solutions because sending the system back to Sony would cost me 50 dollars. Anyone able to direct me somewhere where i can get some help? If push comes to shove I AM willing to fork over 50 bucks to sony just so my PS2 can work again.

Jared

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

just tape/glue the 2 sensors down, there is one on the top left and the other is on top of the power button

if you can figure out what one is not being pressed just tape/glue that one down so the other one still operates normal, then the PS2 will work as normal

2 switches (there actally buttons that the lid presses onto and the back one is hard to tap so superglue is easier, just hold it down with a pin while you glue it in place, the front one taps nice)

both off = lid open
    1 on + 1 off = lid open (not realy but the PS2 thinks so)
    both on = lid closed

At a wild guess it's the back switch, you can check the front one easy enough you can see that one from the outside, the lid should have a small peg that drops into a small hole above the power button, the back one is hidden but if you notice at the back of the lid on the left there is an obviouse hinge, it's under that

NOTE: normally I would not reconend this but you destroyed the lid.

Another way is to buy a new flip lid or case, you can get 2 types 1 is just a standard replace (unofficial ones come in tons of colours) and then there are the ones that keep the censors (button or switches) held down at all times and let you have the lid open and the discs will still spin (those are mode for swop magic use realy) but either of those will work
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-November-2012 at 13:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I have a slimline model 9000 PS2. I'm not sure how to go about taping the sensors down, although it seems like it should be easy to do. I am uneasy about opening up my PS2, but I'll do if I have to. Maybe if you could tell me where to find the sensors on this particular model, I can find some tape and tape the sensors down.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

same place as I described it's the same for all slim models

P.S. I added more on just replacing the case while you were replying

I will have a look and see if I can find images for you though

EDIT seems they moved the back censor

video of an external mod on the 9000 model
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-November-2012 at 13:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Will regular scotch tape work for blocking the sensors? I don't have the money right now to save up for buying a replacement lid that can hold down all the sensors.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

see the above vid you don't even need to take it apart for now

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

All right i located all three sensors. Should be easy to tape them down with scotch tape, i'll try it later this morning and see if that works. if scotch tape doesn't work my dad is a security systems expert and works with all kinds of cables and wiriing so he probably has some electrical tape lying around in his car.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

ask him to solder them to be permently closed (i.e. on) for you and add a manual switch to the front one might aswell get it done propperly

thats if he works with soldering small parts

I wouldn't have all 3 done personly (hence I recomend adding a switch) there are games that do require disc swops/swaps that need the lid/drive to open and close and the drive to be turned off and back on to recognise the second disc, this applies to both PSX games and PS2 games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-November-2012 at 13:39.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Dad doesn't solder parts - he designs the security systems. in fact he hasn't done system installation since i was a little boy. I am looking at flip top models, i found a set that retails for 24.95, using the v9-v10 models of ps2s (and including the swap magic discs). so that set should work. I am handy with a screwdriver so i could probably disassemble the rest of the broken lid and put the fliptop on myself. i can search for a video guide on how to do it. I'll tape down the sensors for now until i can buy the fliptop lids after christmas.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

good plan it's not hard to do realy. it doesn't even take long

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Yeah I saw a video that shows how to install the flip top. Looks pretty simple. The screws on the bottom of the system though are covered by little squares, any idea how to pry them off so i can get at the screws?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

a very small flat scew driver works great, lets you get right under the black squares, some of those may be soft feet, they are on the v7 models that can be removed by hand easy enough

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Okay, i'll have to see if we have one lying around somewhere. I know we've got a number of different screwdrivers. My PS2 is out of warranty anyway so i can't do it too much harm by modding the machine by installing the flip top cover. besides there are a couple of scratched to shit PS2 discs I have that I can't play anymore. Grabbing copies of the scratched games on EP and burning them to DVD to use with swap magic would be just dandy with me.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All PS2's are out of Warrenty nowerdays

I use a mod that lets you directly boot burned backups (It's a software mod so you still don't need a mod chip) you can use swap magic to install the softmod if you wanted, it does make the process easier, once it's all installed you just patch and burn your DVD game and insert the game into the PS2 and turn it on, the game willl just boot

the mod itself is a combination of freemcboot and ESR, it's all just software that installs to your memcard and boots directly from the memcard when you start up the PS2, to disable the softmod just start up the PS2 with no memcard inserted (or a memcard without the mod)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-November-2012 at 14:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Oh I've heard of ESR. That sounds like an easy way to get my backups working on my PS2 once I fix the sensors by blocking them. How would I go about installing this mod? I would like to play my copies of all the .hack games without using an emulator.