Thread: (PS2) Patching specific games from CD to DVD format

Thanks

Default (PS2) Patching specific games from CD to DVD format

Hi to all,
    First things first, if I'm posting this thread in the wrong session, please forgive me. It's the first time I'm using the EP forum, so please bare with me!

Well, I'm relatively a noob when it comes to patching games, specially from CD to DVD.
    I have two pool games on CD format that I would like very much to burn on DVD, since CDs demand too much from the PS2 and blah blah blah. The first one is Real Pool and the second is Q-Ball: Billiards Master.

I've tried several tutorials about patching these type of games, and while I've had success with some games, these two just won't work. These are the steps I've followed:
    1. Extracted the .BIN and .CUE files from the games;
    2. Used DVD Scan to patch the files from CD to DVD (got the success message on both games);
    3. Created a DUMMY file (1GB) with Dummy File Creator and added to the folder of each game;
    4. Created a new .ISO file with CD DVD Generator 1.50 (following the order of the files in both original images of the games);
    5. Tested the final .ISO file from each game and it just didn't work. At all.

So... am I doing something wrong? Am I forgetting something? Or even better: can someone please tell me if these specific two games can be converted to DVD or not? Did anyone have success on patching these games and could please share with me?

Thanks a lot!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Q-Ball: Billiards Master NTSC|U I know can't be done, not for ESR boot method anyway, I have yet to test Real Pool though

I did also test Pool Paradise NTSC|U though and that also fails, it will boot though but the control pad is not recognised, so it's not playable

P.S. though some games will fail if you patch DVD code over CD code and will only work without patching, I have found a couple of games like that

Unfortionatly not all CD games can be converted to DVD

P.P.S what method are you using to play your backups???
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-October-2012 at 23:47.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thank you Zorlon for the quick reply.
    Well, I'm not sure if you asked about the .ISO file I create or the PS2 discs I burn for my console, so I'll answer both.
    Once I have the final .ISO file done, I test it with PCSX2 emulator. If it works, I burn it right away.
    My PS2 has Matrix modchip, so I just burn DVD discs to play... short and simple.

You mentioned Pool Paradise and said that you couldn't make it work; well, I was able to make it work by burning a multidisc (using the DVD Scan + MSystem Maker + CD DVD Generator 1.50 method). I don't know much about ESR and even less have it, so I can't say I could make the game work with it.

And about some games working only without patching... I was about to try and burn a DVD with the CD images I have from both games I requested, but I was using ImgBurn and it obviously accused that the images weren't on DVD format. So I just gave up. Do you think it's worth a try?

Thank you again.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have yet to try the multi game disc method as of yet though myself

You will fail big time trying to burn a CD image onto a DVD, it just doesn't work, DVD's TOC have a larger header to that of CD's this you should know already just by using CD/DVD gen

Not worth wasting a disc even trying

cnf files are just text files, easy enough to make by hand, unless MSystem Maker does more??

EDIT:- Never mind it's just for multi game disc generating lol so yeah it does do a lil more thanks for that lil bit of info by the way.

I am off to bed now, but if I come up with anything that may help get the games converted I will let you know I do suspect that they use LBA checks that can't be found with the usual tools

EDIT:- Found a pre bult version that is DVD converted (it has no dummy file)

I will check it out a figure out what was changed ect when I get a bit more time

http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/...liards-master/
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-October-2012 at 01:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Wow, thank you very much for the link, Zorlon. I created a dummy file, compiled a new ISO and it worked like a charm!

Well, as I said before, I get to a point where DVD Scan shows success for both games, but they just won't work when I try to compile a new ISO. I don't know what I did wrong or what I missed, but for some reason the game from the link you posted worked just fine. What else could make it work besides patching it to DVD? Sorry, I don't know much of this.

I've tried patching Real Pool again and again, selecting file by file and folder by folder, just in case. DVD Scan shows that it was patched to DVD successfully, but you know the end of the story. Oh, well. Maybe I'll just settle with Q-Ball

Anyways, I really appreciate the help. Annnd, pushing my luck just a little bit, if you ever find a way to patch Real Pool successfully, please let me know.
    Thank you!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not all CD games can be converted you done nothing wrong

But yeah if I figure out a way I will let you know... would help if I had the game aswell lol

I am testing as much as possible on the PS2 though anyway so I'm sure I will get around to the game

P.S. looked at the game files for Q-Ball none of the files are patched, so patching = breaking the game

I also realised where I messed up myself I just done a half arsed job of doing the header info I only edited the Disc Name bit that most CD to DVD converts just need

Disc Name SLUS-20070
    Copyright ROCKSTAR
    Volume QBALL
    Volume Set QBALL
    Publisher ROCKSTAR
    Data Preparer BKR
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-October-2012 at 14:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    I also realised where I messed up myself I just done a half arsed job of doing the header info I only edited the Disc Name bit that most CD to DVD converts just need

Disc Name SLUS-20070
    Copyright ROCKSTAR
    Volume QBALL
    Volume Set QBALL
    Publisher ROCKSTAR
    Data Preparer BKR
    Ehrm... so what does it mean exactly? Is the header the key for these type of games that shouldn't be really patched?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

type of games...???? it's one game I have found that with

it's half and half that need patched and shouldn't be patched, there is no way of knowing this without testing but I have been taking notes anyway for CD to DVD converts

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Oh, OK then.
    Well, I've tested Q-Ball patiently and everything works fine. Thanks for helping out!
    Please let me know if you find any solution concerning Real Pool. I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks!