Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playstation cheat cartridges as memory cards?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Playstation cheat cartridges as memory cards?

I found a picture of this ps1 cartridge that acts as a memory card, well 100 cards in apperantly works in game for saving to and I was wondering will those gameshark, action replay, xploder cartridges work the same way or do I have to find this thing on some shopping site?
    Please help I'm running out of space on my last two working cards.

Sorry for double posting but I've found that yes the gameshark pro has vmem just don't know if it can save in the game like the vmem cartridge.

But Edit Post works great
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-October-2012 at 10:41.
    In the cursed year 1943, Crawley returned.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I own the Action Replay Pro (It's the UK version of the GameShark Pro )

Yes you can save in game with it, it will take over slot 1 so make sure you don't have a memcard in that slot (you can't play backups via that cart though, this is a legit cart not a play backups cart)

You can hack it though, but I have no idea where to find the hacked bios nowerdays, it was hard enough to find back in the day

Don't you have a PS2?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-October-2012 at 22:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes but I don't feel like turning it on just to move one save file from it back to the ps1 card and vise versa I'd rather turn on the ps1 on just put in the memory card only problem with real ones is I've only 2 left both fully filled with games saves I'd rather not remove and Sony only making them hold 1mb where the ps2 cardes 1st and 3rd party hold 8-126mb.

Sony should've made the ps2 cards backwards compatible like the dualshock 2 controller so you could use it in game like a ps1 card.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have tons but I stopped using the virtual cards years ago

Anyway the GameShark has 15 I think

I was actually thinking that you can backup your saves not just to the PS2 memcard but then to your PC aswell

Well there is a big difference between the way the 8MB PS2 memcard works and the 1MB PSX memcard works, for one the PS2 memcard does not use slots

the PS2 is very backwards compatible excepts you can't use a PSone/PSX controller or memcard with PS2 software only with PSX/PSOne software, it's the PSX/PSone that lacks forward compatibility

Sony never realy thought of anyone using PS2 designed hardware on a PSX/PSone, yeah I know the pads work but thats all that works even multitaps don't work from the PS2 on the PSone/PSX, infact the PSX multitap only works for PSX/PSone games in the PS2

I wouldn't trust 3rd party products too much, but you can get 15 page memcards for the PSX aswell instead of getting the gameshark, basicly they are 15 memcards in one with a button to switch memcards from 1 to 15 sometimes listed as 1 to F as in 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B-C-D-E-F in total thats 15 I actually have one for my Dreamcast and it still works just fine
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-October-2012 at 22:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't suppose that its on ebay by chance?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My ebay is the UK one pointless me looking

Is there not a US amazon aswell ????

Personly I prefure amazon to ebay

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As I stated in a previous post small buget [people want outrageous prices US$400 for used ps1 games] And my family is against online shopping mom got russian scammed so my folks are very iffy. It was all I could do to get my folks to let me purchase a replacement for my old ps2 controller port from yahoo's richpsxparts.com only because is said it was bases in virginia beach and the C.C's in both mine and my dad's names so not much I can do without his approval first.

A bit off topic but do you know how reliable those electric and hand crank discdr's repair kits are I've been looking in trying to talking folks into letting me get one if it worked like people online and some of my brother's friends say it does it would really same money on cd's to back up scratched discs like this one.1003121839b.jpg1003121839c.jpg
    Last edited by soratron; 4th-October-2012 at 04:08.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I would like more detail on the kits you are talking about maybe a pic or a link to places that sell em

I'm not 100% sure what you are talking about, if it's just a cleaning kit it will not fix those discs

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's this.763283364.jpg It's called a SkipDr. cd,dvd repair kit that if you buy the orhter flex wheels you can buff out blu-ray xbox 360, ps3 and wii discs. Its made by digital innovations.
    Last edited by soratron; 5th-October-2012 at 20:36.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I take it from the lack of relpy that no one knows about this.

Thanks
    EP Points

I used to have something like this and they don't really work all that well imo. The results are kind of hit and miss. What these things do is basically sand the disc, it doesn't fill the scratches. I used to own one of these (it was green though and I used it for my XBox games) and it has worked on some occasions but not all. I think you'd be better off taking the games to a used game shop or maybe a pawn shop and they will likely have a industrial buffing machine. One of the local shops near me only charges $1 per disc.

But if you do decide to buy one be careful not to buff off too much of the disc’s protective surface. You could cause more damage to your disc if you clean too deeply.
    Also if the top layer of the disc has been scratched to the point that you can see through it, the data may be damaged and not reparable.
    Last edited by Shelly Bean; 8th-October-2012 at 02:57.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The top picture sides of my discs are fine if you look at the picture of my crash 2 cd like the others sorceror's maze, final fantasy tactics, ECW hardcore revolution, spyro year of the dragon tomb raider III and a few backups that are now pirated cause I was dumb and threw the broken pieces away are just too scratched that I geth the ps/psone blue screen of death and ps2 old and slim red screen of death.
    I tried my brother's old memorex dvd cd motorized repair kit and it worked with a little tooth paste on some of my most scratched ps2 discs like spyro a new beginning and it worked great until the little plastic gear that connects the motor the wheel gears broke [worn away] so I was thinking of looking into the hand buffer from skipdr since it was real chip $17.99 from tax in my local store it would save me a lot on buying new cd-r's $26.78 for 20-pack to back them up again.
    Last edited by soratron; 9th-October-2012 at 00:08.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sorry I was busy, I can't be active 24/7

Personly I find that backups are just fine and actually prefure them, but then again I have a mod chip and only have issues with copy protected games but I either grab the US versions that didn't get as much copy protected games or if needs be I patch the game before burning

Those lil CD rapair kits are not great though a few discs may be ok with it but it can make some discs worse aswell, it can be hit and miss, do not use those on 360 or PS3 though even most the places that do disc polishing on the big machines won't do them because they have delicate dual layer discs and blueray for PS3

P.S. you can get 100 CD-R's for less than what you pay for 20 CD-R's at www.amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97458...dp/B003ZDNZSI/

You can get CD's for cheaper again but these are good quality ones

P.S. I normally do not search for products for none UK customers but you are paying more than you should by a long shot
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-October-2012 at 10:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Sorry I went to my store today and the price I gave you was for the 100 pack it actually 14.98 for 20 pack.
    Also have you ever used a memorex optifix pro disc cleaner/repair motorized kit, I've been thinking of fixing mine but don't know where to get the part that goes on the motor to turn the other gears.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

google it I would

As I said disc cleaners are a waste of time, too much of a risk and very hit and miss to then actually doing any good

you possibly can't just get the parts, you should just look into buying a new one, but google first you may get lucky

If your that determined why havn't you just phoned, emailed or wrote to Memorex?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-October-2012 at 10:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]