Thread: C&C: Tiberian Alliances, i am dissappinted in you greatly

Thanks
    EP Points

Default C&C: Tiberian Alliances, i am dissappinted in you greatly

usually i love a good RTS and the C&C franchise is typically fairly good in that genre but this new MMORTS is nothing but a great dissappointment.

i already played it a few days and heres some issuse with it ranging from negligible to major in no specific order.

1. its not a RTS as advertised
    2. combat is strategy but not rts. you just set up a formation of up to 4 waves of units then watch the fight play out, thats hardly what i'd call rts.
    3. you have to research to unlock almost all units/advanced buildings, heres the catch though:

you get to fight enemy camps/bases/etc., a faction called the forgotten (i have no clue who that faction could be but that might be because its been over a decade since i played the GDI vs NOD storyline in the franchise), for $, tiberium, crystals, and research point and the occasional supply box which gives a random supply boost reward. the problem with the research is this: fight and beat a forgotten camp lvl 1-8 and get anywhere up to 2-5k $ and research points which is fair for low lvl but thats where the good ends.
    lowest research outside the tutorial costs around 60k $/RP, highest is 200mill $/RP. i wouldn't have enough to unlock a new unit or anything for weeks unless i start churning out irl $$$ for the various resources (so NOT gonna happen).

4.this one is more immediate than the research issues, missions: ok i got a mission to destroy a forgotten base which is lvl 14+ and i'm lvl 8 or below... the heck? talk about too early... another mission: attack another players base... how? everyone is in protection which as far as i can tell is 1 week long ( what the f?!

5. alliance system. um, i think its still incomplete i mean, there is an alliance tab but all it shows are invites and the option to make your own alliance. theres no listing of alliances where you could request a invite or anything like that so its more or less pointless.

sorry for raging but honestly unless your a hardcore fan of the franchise (even then i bet most would skip this game), i would advise passing on this game. i could name several other mmo strategy games that are better then this one. (maybe i'm just playing it too early on or something, is it in beta or something?)

anyway, this would serve as my current review of the game after around a week of playing and honestly making questionable progress if any.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    usually i love a good RTS and the C&C franchise is typically fairly good in that genre but this new MMORTS is nothing but a great dissappointment.

i already played it a few days and heres some issuse with it ranging from negligible to major in no specific order.

1. its not a RTS as advertised
    2. combat is strategy but not rts. you just set up a formation of up to 4 waves of units then watch the fight play out, thats hardly what i'd call rts.
    3. you have to research to unlock almost all units/advanced buildings, heres the catch though:

you get to fight enemy camps/bases/etc., a faction called the forgotten (i have no clue who that faction could be but that might be because its been over a decade since i played the GDI vs NOD storyline in the franchise), for $, tiberium, crystals, and research point and the occasional supply box which gives a random supply boost reward. the problem with the research is this: fight and beat a forgotten camp lvl 1-8 and get anywhere up to 2-5k $ and research points which is fair for low lvl but thats where the good ends.
    lowest research outside the tutorial costs around 60k $/RP, highest is 200mill $/RP. i wouldn't have enough to unlock a new unit or anything for weeks unless i start churning out irl $$$ for the various resources (so NOT gonna happen).

4.this one is more immediate than the research issues, missions: ok i got a mission to destroy a forgotten base which is lvl 14+ and i'm lvl 8 or below... the heck? talk about too early... another mission: attack another players base... how? everyone is in protection which as far as i can tell is 1 week long ( what the f?!

5. alliance system. um, i think its still incomplete i mean, there is an alliance tab but all it shows are invites and the option to make your own alliance. theres no listing of alliances where you could request a invite or anything like that so its more or less pointless.

sorry for raging but honestly unless your a hardcore fan of the franchise (even then i bet most would skip this game), i would advise passing on this game. i could name several other mmo strategy games that are better then this one. (maybe i'm just playing it too early on or something, is it in beta or something?)

anyway, this would serve as my current review of the game after around a week of playing and honestly making questionable progress if any.
    They aren't in Tib. Sun, I know that much. I haven't played any C&C since Yuri's Revenge and Generals, thanks for the warning . Are Tib. Wars and Twilight any good?

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

i... don't know, the last C&C game i played was this copy of generals i still have and maybe a old copy of red alert i think (not sure but i did torrent 1 of the really old games at some point, don't know which though). i think i should check out the newer games in the series since you brought it up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    i... don't know, the last C&C game i played was this copy of generals i still have and maybe a old copy of red alert i think (not sure but i did torrent 1 of the really old games at some point, don't know which though). i think i should check out the newer games in the series since you brought it up.
    Be sure to let me know if they're any good.

Thanks

I found Wars to be pretty fun. It still didn't have that same feeling, but I still had some great fun with it. My bro said he tried out Twilight and it was horribad.
    Normally I decide to try for myself anyway before I tell if a game is bad or not, but I've heard a good deal of people say Twilight was bad.
    Maybe someone else can shed some extra light.
    Worst thing about gaming is being unable to remember the name of games you had fun with...and lag.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thanks
    EP Points

well i may find out how the entire franchise is in a few months (heres hoping i can get this for christmas). i just found out about this, Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection, 17 command & conquer games in 1 package (its actually not that many but apparently they count all the expansion packs separately but who cares).

heres the website http://www.commandandconquer.com/col...NC_Traffic_TUC

and its all for only $50, seems like a nice way to celebrate the franchises 17th birthday to me plus it'd keep my attention away from things like alliances hmmm... i'll have a 2nd copy of generals with its expansion, oh well just another backup copy which never hurts to have around.

oh yeah, it also says on the site that all the games included are updated to work on windows vista/7 (not that i don't believe that but 7 gives me enough trouble to stay a bit wary of such claims unfortunately so i'll just wait and see). overall it seems like good news for me as i've only played around 1/2 of that set (not counting the various expansions) at best over the years plus i'll get all the games that came out after generals too.

edit: terristat, your sig is so true sadly you play enough games over the years and you tend to forget some good ones after a while

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's not a bad deal for all the good C&C games that are included.

Thanks
    EP Points

I can't say I'm disappointed, but that's because I didn't play it and don't want to since the utter tripe that was C&C4.

Deegmeester, you asked, so here's my view. C&C3: Tiberium Wars was pretty decent. Had a storyline I actually somewhat liked and played pretty well, and echoed the classic C&C gameplay.

C&C4... didn't, so much.

You know the whole base-building thing that made the series great? Gone.

Resource management by harvesting tiberium or similar? Eh, gone.

What you get now is a 'mobile MCV', which is essentially a walking HQ. It spits out tanks (for which you have a limited number of control points), with which to destroy the tanks spat out by the other walking MCV.

They also shoehorned in a storyline that was so badly done I don't even know what those twits were thinking. They made you want to CARE about the commander you were representing. In doing so, they gave you a wife. Oh yes. And she doesn't stop nagging at you, naturally, until her openquotes 'dramatic' endquotes death in mission three or so. All I could think was "thank god, that's that sorted. Bitch had it coming." I mean, seriously, she's sending me transmissions in the middle of a missions. Didn't anyone tell GDI Mission Control that it's a bad idea to have a civilian have access to an encrypted military broadcasting system!?

So no, I didn't like it much. They also shoehorned in an experience system, which stretched over both single- and multiplayer, because that makes perfect sense, and more units than anyone should know what the hell to do with as a result of said experience system. Also, one whole multiplayer modes, which to players of WoW will sound exceptionally unfamiliar.

Here's the rundown: You have your crawler thing, they have theirs. There are tiberium nodes dotted all over the map. You have to lock your crawler into the ground near a node to capture it and gather tiberium from it at a set rate, while the enemy tries the same, so you need to control more nodes than the enemy. Whoever reaches the tiberium goal first wins.

Completely unique and never seen before.

So yeah, C&C3 is acceptable. C&C4 should never have been released, considered, created, and any other such term you can come up with. Apparently it was supposed to be an Asia-only MMO-test game, but then EA came along and said 'fuck this, we'll slap a storyline into it in about a month and tape a great big '4' over the box and sell it as a sequel!'

The result of this is that I didn't even know about Tiberian Alliances, let alone tried to play it, effectively making me immune to being disappointed by it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ivo Robotnik View Post
    I can't say I'm disappointed, but that's because I didn't play it and don't want to since the utter tripe that was C&C4.

Deegmeester, you asked, so here's my view. C&C3: Tiberium Wars was pretty decent. Had a storyline I actually somewhat liked and played pretty well, and echoed the classic C&C gameplay.

C&C4... didn't, so much.

You know the whole base-building thing that made the series great? Gone.

Resource management by harvesting tiberium or similar? Eh, gone.

What you get now is a 'mobile MCV', which is essentially a walking HQ. It spits out tanks (for which you have a limited number of control points), with which to destroy the tanks spat out by the other walking MCV.

They also shoehorned in a storyline that was so badly done I don't even know what those twits were thinking. They made you want to CARE about the commander you were representing. In doing so, they gave you a wife. Oh yes. And she doesn't stop nagging at you, naturally, until her openquotes 'dramatic' endquotes death in mission three or so. All I could think was "thank god, that's that sorted. Bitch had it coming." I mean, seriously, she's sending me transmissions in the middle of a missions. Didn't anyone tell GDI Mission Control that it's a bad idea to have a civilian have access to an encrypted military broadcasting system!?

So no, I didn't like it much. They also shoehorned in an experience system, which stretched over both single- and multiplayer, because that makes perfect sense, and more units than anyone should know what the hell to do with as a result of said experience system. Also, one whole multiplayer modes, which to players of WoW will sound exceptionally unfamiliar.

Here's the rundown: You have your crawler thing, they have theirs. There are tiberium nodes dotted all over the map. You have to lock your crawler into the ground near a node to capture it and gather tiberium from it at a set rate, while the enemy tries the same, so you need to control more nodes than the enemy. Whoever reaches the tiberium goal first wins.

Completely unique and never seen before.

So yeah, C&C3 is acceptable. C&C4 should never have been released, considered, created, and any other such term you can come up with. Apparently it was supposed to be an Asia-only MMO-test game, but then EA came along and said 'fuck this, we'll slap a storyline into it in about a month and tape a great big '4' over the box and sell it as a sequel!'

The result of this is that I didn't even know about Tiberian Alliances, let alone tried to play it, effectively making me immune to being disappointed by it.
    I thought it was... An RTS? Way to ruin a good, long running, series, EA. If only EA hadn't stabbed Westwood and left them in a ditch .
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 3rd-October-2012 at 16:53.

Thanks

EA killed sooo many good studios.
    Worst thing about gaming is being unable to remember the name of games you had fun with...and lag.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thanks
    EP Points

wow, didn't know C&C4 was that bad guess thats 1 game out of the ultimate collection i won't be playing much, unless its to see just how bad ea really screwed up. hope renegade will be pretty good, its supposed to be a 3rd/1st-person shooter where you play as one of those tough commando's.

that part you said about C&C4 supposedly being intended as a mmo test game or whatever makes me think that it might be possible that alliances was based on it in some way (minus the mobile MCV and exp systems, who the heck came up with the ideas for that and a exp system?)

oh yeah, something i forgot to point out in the 1st post here, it looks like ea even went so far as to screw up the pvp system in alliances. i think currently its something like this: you get attacked and you have a 24-hour wait period before you can attack back at anyone whereas the original attacker would have a 1 hour wait period between attacks. thats not even a pvp system its just... pure fail at best, thats my best description short of bad words :/

i hate when a company starts to ruin a great franchise like that (first capcom with megaman and now ea with C&C)