Thread: Making an Utopia Boot Disk for Non MIL-CD Dreamcast Console

Thanks

Question Making an Utopia Boot Disk for Non MIL-CD Dreamcast Console

Hi Guys,
    I wonder if someone could explain how to make an Utopia Boot Disk for Non MIL-CD Dreamcast Console? or maybe provide a download link for a working one?
    Thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Utopia boot disc is a MIL-CD itself

As for creating a Utopia disc all you do is burn the iso of it you don't build the disc yourself or anything like that

The disc is not designed for none MIL-CD consoles but rather for none MIL-CD games.. i.e. games that are not built to boot on there own

All I can offer in advise is to buy a MIL-CD compatible Dreamcast, it is very much worth it though, apart from all the original games there are tons of emulators, ports and other homebrew for the Dreamcast aswell as newer games (mostly Jap games, but a good shoot em up is good even if it is jap)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-June-2012 at 16:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

@abdulhafizh - Got your PM. I found this thread, and thought better to post my reply here.

I own a Dreamcast that doesn't like the standard Audio-Data backups... however, it always booted the Utopia bootdisc just fine. In the past, I've tried to convert the bootdisc to Data/Data format using the method outlined in my Data/Data Tutorial thread, but without success. If my memory is correct, my efforts failed because the Utopia bootdisc has no 1ST_READ.BIN file to hack. Can't really remember... it's been a year or so, and I haven't done a lot with my Dreamcast lately.

Back to your dilemma: Have you tried all different versions of the Utopia bootdisc? The one I use was in either .cdi or .nrg format, and I think the splash screen says "v.1.2". I may still have the RAR file on my external drive someplace... I'll upload it, if you'd like to try out a different disc image. Just let me know.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks

Thanks Zorlon for your advice, I think I'm going to buy a MIL-CD compatible Dreamcast for the reasons you've mentioned, but in the mean time I must make best use of the current system too

Thanks

Thanks Rockstar1983 for your reply.
    I used your Data/Data tutorial to make the required bootdisc, but I'm afraid I failed many times, for the same reasons you've mentioned (But with success when it comes to games, Thank you!). I've tried v1.1, v1.3 and v1.5, but I never tried v1.2 before. Yes, I'd really appreciate it if you could upload it for me, or any other successful bootdisc for the purpose of loading imports and/or backups on a non MIL-CD Dreamcast.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There's also a toolkit out there that allows you to easily generate selfboot DC disc images. Which generates Alcohol 120% (mdf/mds) and Discjuggler (cdi) disc images. Haven't personally used it but it might be worth checking out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    There's also a toolkit out there that allows you to easily generate selfboot DC disc images. Which generates Alcohol 120% (mdf/mds) and Discjuggler (cdi) disc images. Haven't personally used it but it might be worth checking out.
    It didn't work for Utopia Anyway, Thanks Beelzebub

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Unfortionatly Utopia can't be hacked that way

There are a number of Dreamcast US versions around, the latest can't run any sort of Mil-CD's at all, mid range there are mixed results, some will run all Mil-CD's others will only read Data/Data Mil-CD's and some just can't read any Mil-CD's, early ones read both Mil-CD variations that of CDDA/Data and Data/Data (CDDA/Data boot games tend to be the norm and works best)

I put up a guide for Dreamcast versions a while back at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?54893

The guide includes dates and model numbers, aswell as label examples so you know what to look for

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by abdulhafizh View Post
    It didn't work for Utopia Anyway, Thanks Beelzebub
    It was more for an alternative to using a boot disc. Although I didn't notice in your first post that you had a non-Mil CD compatible DC.

Just get yourself a compatible DC, they're really not too expensive. Make sure to check out Zorlon's guide so you can pick the correct Mill CD compatible Dreamcast.