Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: does anyone notice the difference between a standard A/v Cable and a component?

Thanks
    EP Points

RGB SCART (or EuroAV) is what I've always used. Not so common outside of Europe. The only problem I've had with it is when buying a Japanese Gamecube where I ended up having to buy a custom SCART cable - it uses both Analog and Digital AV Out connectors at the back (only PAL models came with a dedicated SCART connector). Expensive but worth every penny.

Not sure how it compares to component.

Thanks
    EP Points

here is a comparison i found for PS2 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...-component.jpg

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Vaseline.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    here is a comparison i found for PS2 http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...-component.jpg
    As far as I'm aware that's the only PS2 game that supports 1080i, so all others are just gonna run at 480p. So not a great comparison picture.

Thanks
    EP Points

theres a few http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ith_HD_support oddly Jack ass is one of them

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Component = HiDef
    HDMI = HiDef
    VGA = HiDef (if anything this = the best quality image but it's not massivly better than Component or HDMI)

All will give a crisp image

SCART = Very good quality but only supprots Standard Def

A/V (Yellow Red White) = good quality image

S.Video = kinda good quality

olde Coaxial Arial = Poor Grainy image

Anything missing from the above list that I may of forgotten about???

Personly I have...
    Component = Xbox Wii and PS2 (I have a 3way multi thing for that) [Quality is not any less than HDMI]
    HDMI = PS3 (Will end up putting 360 on 2nd HDMI maybe)
    VGA = Dreamcast and 360 (I have to change those round depending on what I play, yes VGA is the best in my opinion but it's not vastly noticable so it is not needed but dreamcast have no Component or HDMI option)
    Scart = Saturn (best quality image for older consoles that have large pixcels/lower res)

Trust me older consoles like the Saturn you don't realy want them in HiDef (not that they support even 480i/p), you actually want a lil blur to the image, to help de-pixcelate the image, call it an automatic filter if you must

I don't stretch any images I may zoom some games (depends if this cuts anying important off the image or not) [I realy don't mind black bars on either side when playing 4:3 images, beter than having squashed images, personly I can't even watch TV like that not that I actually watch TV or anything... odd film maybe]

On a side note on my 43inch TV I can't say I noitice any great image gain or loss going to and from 720 to 1080 but you will see pixcelation going down to 480 but it's not massivly bad

You will however notice more on a still image than you would while playing a game

Any Hif-Def console/image though you will be wanting to get yourself one of the 3 cable types for your Console/TV combination - HDMI, Component or VGA
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-May-2012 at 19:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You're better off with some games on a standard def. TV, the NFS games for example.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

i am actually thinking of grabbing a VGA for my Dreamcast

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

i am actually thinking of grabbing a VGA for my Dreamcast
    Not every game will work in VGA mind

Not many don't though, most will support VGA (some will need patching or use the switch trick if you grab a VGA box)

For more info check out http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56169

I do note on the games look aswell as if it will work in VGA and if the game requires patching (including how to patch the sucker)

Of the english games
    273=VGA Compatible (This includes patchable games and is a mix of NTSC and PAL games, but in VGA mode it makes no difference if you have the PAL version or the NTSC version both display the same in VGA mode)
    16=No VGA Support (Will only work in standard AV TV mode)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

your list says that codebreaker is the only cheat device that works with backups on DC, but i use all 3 main cheat devices on my backups (AR, GS, CB)

as for the 16 uncompatable games, they arent ones i would miss since i barely use my dreamcast to begin with

Thanks

Wii-wise, is there any difference between the component cable and that HDMI converter released some time ago?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

your list says that codebreaker is the only cheat device that works with backups on DC, but i use all 3 main cheat devices on my backups (AR, GS, CB)

as for the 16 uncompatable games, they arent ones i would miss since i barely use my dreamcast to begin with
    Codebreaker is the only backed up cheat CD that will work with selfboot backups, the others will not work with selfbooting backups, the games may load but the cheats will never be active with an AR/GS backup

Actually the CodeBreaker will also not work unless you use the CodeBreaker Loader that enables CodeBreaker to work with Mill CD's (aka selfbootable CD-R's)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-May-2012 at 21:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Flávio Alves View Post
    Wii-wise, is there any difference between the component cable and that HDMI converter released some time ago?
    Nope, why would there be there both Hi-Def displays

An HDMI converter will only be good to those with TV's that do not have Component connections and only HDMI connections

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Codebreaker is the only backed up cheat CD that will work with selfboot backups, the others will not work with selfbooting backups, the games may load but the cheats will never be active with an AR/GS backup

Actually the CodeBreaker will also not work unless you use the CodeBreaker Loader that enables CodeBreaker to work with Mill CD's (aka selfbootable CD-R's)
    i DO use backups of those 3 on my self boot backups as is though, and the cheats function (infinite health, unlock all etc...)

Thanks

Yes, TVs are computers themselves. The "upscale" component of the TV can make a drastic difference in the way standard definition sources can look on the screen.

No, the Dreamcast doesn't have component cables. It does have VGA output though at slightly higher than 640x480 resolutions.