Thread: Whats the best pc usb controller

Thanks

Default Whats the best pc usb controller

I want one that will be multifunctional for pc retail (shooters, adventures, mmos, emus like ps1,2 n64, etc any ideas
    Wisdom? Power? Courage?

http://www.epforums.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62683&dateline=131634  9435

Which do you choose? The Choice is yours?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

an actual PSX/PS2 controller via a PSX to USB adaptor... is one of the, if not the best option (will work as HID so all software that works with HID controllers will work with it)

I do not know enough about the PS3 contollers to know if you can get a wired one or get a dongle to hook one up to a PC

a wired Xbox 30 controller is ok for most games but the lower back trigger do not let you press them both together, asides from that it's a great controller for many emulators, nice deep triggers (the ones that can't be used together atleast not for PSX emulation, last I checked) are great for consoles that did have deep analog triggers like the Dreamcast (you can use a wireless controller aswell but you will need to buy a receiver for it though one receiver supports up to 4 360 wireless controllers)

You can also get adaptors for other console controllers to run via USB, including N64 contollers but they are getting harder and harder to find nowerdays

Any software that does not support HID devices or controllers at all or just has some keyboard only controls, can still be controlled with your HID device (any of the above) can still be used via such programs as Joytokeys (joy2keys) and other such software that will take joypad/stick and most HID devices and make tham act as keyboard presses and or even mouse movement and clicks.. great for old dos games or even as a DVD controller ect.. the uses of such a thing can almost be endless, I have even used it to control parts of emulators that otherwise would require a keybard press, like making a save state or making the a game go into fast forward
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-March-2012 at 22:34.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

$0.49 - new. Imagine that.
    I currently own 2 converters like this, one just USB and another that outputs to XBOX1, GCN and USB.
    Personally though, my favorite is my Logitech USB controller. Works for all of my emus and then some. It has no analog sticks but Logitech has some that do.

Thanks

Assuming your PC isn't Bluetooth compatible, you can still use a PS3 controller just fine through an USB cable. All you have to do is install the proper drivers.

The PS3 controllers can do everything the PS2 controllers can, but I can't remember if they added any additional features besides the tilt axes.

Thanks
    EP Points

I use Mayflash USB adapters to connect my PS2 or Wii Classic controllers and I never experienced any lag

Thanks
    EP Points

Not sure about shooters (I'd normally recommend just using the mouse/keyboard for those), can't beat one of these for emulators tho;

Tremon USB PC Joypad

Works very well for how cheap it is; I've had mine for five years and it's held up through much use
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

I bought a controller at Radio shack, it looks like a PS2 controller. I use it for all my games, it's good and cheap.

Thanks
    EP Points

Xbox360 wired controller works just fine for all emulators. Also works with steam.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose View Post
    Xbox360 wired controller works just fine for all emulators. Also works with steam.
    $30 vs $10 for an adequate amount of functionality. Just sayin'.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    $30 vs $10 for an adequate amount of functionality. Just sayin'.
    Well if he has an xbox buy a 30 dollar controler that saves you $$ on batteries. Double investment.

Thanks
    EP Points

"If he has an xbox", I agree. The 360 controller (generally) works great as a PC gamepad. Of course a console gamepad to USB converter would be even more ideal (remember seeing them at walmart for $15, supported GC, xbox and PS1/PS2 controllers) assuming OP had access to said controllers already.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    "If he has an xbox", I agree. The 360 controller (generally) works great as a PC gamepad. Of course a console gamepad to USB converter would be even more ideal (remember seeing them at walmart for $15, supported GC, xbox and PS1/PS2 controllers) assuming OP had access to said controllers already.
    I also have a ps2 controller and port but it seems so bulky and leaves so many un needed cords. But if he doesn't gave a xbox he could try that.

Thanks
    EP Points

the only suggestion I would have is to have in mind what you are looking for when you go shopping like for example I wanted force feedback(vibration) when emulating so I went with a 360 pad had some trouble setting it up for epsxe for the vibration but got it going and have the steps I took up on the forums if you decide to go that route.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.