Thread: Good "Light Gun" for MAME on LCD TV

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Good "Light Gun" for MAME on LCD TV

I'm wanting to play the HOD games as well as others that would be way more fulfilling using a "Light Gun" controller. I say "Light Gun" as the ones developed for LCD TV's do not use the light technology as used with older "tube" tvs or monitors, so I've read. It apparently (from what ive read) uses a laser pointer in conjuction with 1 or 2 sensor rails that you attach to the sides of the LCD TV. I see the LCD Top Gun light gun II is an option. Though it is no longer available on amazon, Play asia site, or anywhere else I've looked so far. Seems its from lawsuits against the manufacturer from sony it appears. The Dual Ultimarc AimTrak Arcade Light Gun also appears as an option from arcadeguns.com. It says it will work with LCD amd MAME as well. My question 2 everyone is: Is the LCD Gun Light Gun available anywhere. Has anyone had any experience with it and is it any good? Also any info on the Dual Ultimarc AimTrak Arcade gun as far as being a P.O.S or a decent gun. Any info on any other options is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

wow i too would love to find out said information... AFAIK there wasnt any light gun or "light-gun-esque" hardware for the pc/emulators....... i have a ps1/2 to usb connector thing that works marvelously with a regular ps1/ps2 controller for emus and even regular windows games..... wonder if my old guncon will work with it.. i shall have a look see and a search..

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasterazz View Post
    wow i too would love to find out said information... AFAIK there wasnt any light gun or "light-gun-esque" hardware for the pc/emulators....... i have a ps1/2 to usb connector thing that works marvelously with a regular ps1/ps2 controller for emus and even regular windows games..... wonder if my old guncon will work with it.. i shall have a look see and a search..
    Right on dude. Like I said I'm looking for one that will work with an LCD tv, windows vista, and MAME. If you come across any good tidbits or useful info please throw it up on this thread! I'd greatly appreciate it! I just dont want to spend several bucks on a crappy gun that doesnt work so I'm kinda lookin for some first hand experience with any arcade guns people might be using on this forum for mame. But if I gotta go out on a limb and just take a chance I probably will Thanks for commenting by the way...sucks when no one says anything LOL! Take care!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Generally no lightgun will work with LCD screen except for a Wii-mote that works differently

Otherwise there is a PC TV Lightgun (Normal TV Tube... Pre LCD TV) and there is a VGA monitor Lightgun, neither will work with an LCD though

Unless there is something very new out that I am unaware of, you are out of luck... sorry

Act Labs would of been your best bet, but they only support standard TV Tubes and VGA monitors.

For this reason the Wii is the current best system for light gun rail shooters

Unless there is a way to get a Wii mote working with Mame for lightgun games, then there is no way of doing this with a LCD screen, or any other flat screen (there may be I have not looked into it)

EDIT:- It can be done with a Wii mote (Info spotted on YouTube, admit it may be fake but I don't have the time to do the digging for you)

Linky to guide (badly translated by google.. don't hate me for it hate google )

Will have to try this myself sometime...
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-February-2012 at 18:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Generally no lightgun will work with LCD screen except for a Wii-mote that works differently

Otherwise there is a PC TV Lightgun (Normal TV Tube... Pre LCD TV) and there is a VGA monitor Lightgun, neither will work with an LCD though

Unless there is something very new out that I am unaware of, you are out of luck... sorry
    Hey Zorlon, thanks for jumpin in on this. I have gained lots of problem solving knowledge from you on many other posts that I've read. So thanks! Hey tell me what you think of this gun here- http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews...-Light-Gun/p1/ Its a review from a guy at team xbox in 2006 who says it works with MAME, USB, and LCD-Plasma flat screens. 'Looks bad ass. It seems promising other than the fact that the link to the manufacturer says they are out of business.... So I dont know. Amazon shows them but its out of stock and they probably wont have them again. I still need to check ebay but they look all around UN-available at this point which is too bad... Here is a link to the Ultimarc AimTrac Arcade light gun- http://www.arcadeguns.com/index.php?...roducts_id=218 This also looks promising- 100% compatable with MAME emulation, LCD-Plasma TV's and its AVAILABLE! Both work with sensor bars much like the wii remote setup your talking about, which I will check out by the way. Anywho if you do decide to take a look into arcade guns for flat screens maybe these links might save you some time. Please post your feed back on these two arcade guns and tell me what you think. I'd really appreciate it! Thanx!!

Maybe I should be the first to cough up the $$, try one of these guns and tell everyone about it instead of being a stingy ass LOL!
    Last edited by collinsman; 6th-February-2012 at 21:17.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah the second one is basicly a wii mote in the way it works and a total rip off of the good olde gun-con original

Shame about lik-sang, had plenty of bits n bobs from them in the past.. mostly Dreamcast stuff that was rather hard to find (even harder now)

Myself I would just go with the Wii mote and if I really couldn't do without it buy a gun shell for it (can't say I ever did though I do own a Wii) if only to save on cash... that gun costs far too much for what it is

Only good bonus is that is works for PS2/PS2 games aswell, although it says it supports gun-con 1 mode it won't work with PSone games as they never supported the PS2 USB ports (I have tried with my Gun-Con 1 compatible guns for PSone shooters (they have both USB and standard PSX connections on the guns I got), though never did play em that much) I did play the PS2 shooters alot back in the day though with the Gun-con 2 lightguns, that I can no longer use, well not on my plasma anyway
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-February-2012 at 22:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

kewl... glad to see theres been some addition infos from zorlon~! actually bought a wii cheap last xmas specifically because i got a hankering for some HOTD action.... will see what i can find regarding that - gives me a couple options for setup anywho! appreciate the info guys!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All you need is a bluetooth dongle I got one for £1 from my local pound shop

If you only have a wired censor bar you will need to have the Wii powered on to power up the censor bar

Bluetooth is to connect the Wii mote to your PC the censor bar plays no direct part in this, you can use the Wii mote as a controller without a censor bar, but for a pointer device/light gun the censor bar is just for tracking this and does not need to be connected to anything on your PC to work, it only needs power to work , so having it powered by the Wii but not used by the Wii directly is fine, don't know if you can get away with having your Wii in stand by mode or not I have yet to play with that (If it works in standby mode it would be best, just incase you do something on the Wii without even knowing)

http://www.gogeeks.tv/videos/wiimote-on-pc/ has drivers and info
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-February-2012 at 21:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]