Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Im a newb please help (playing PSX games on PS2 console)

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There was no NTSC-US release, did you try the PAl version burned to a CD in your chipped PS2, it should still work but may well display in black n white or corrupt the image in some other way

If you happen to have a multi regional TV then this is not an issue

If you find the game works but the display is incorrect you can try and patch the display before burning but I don't recomend this in general as it can make games go out of sync or crash out mid game

there is also a boot CD you can burn called Import player that you could also try

the tools for patching and Import Player can be found at

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?63284

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

okay thanks will try to burn it on CD later thanks a lot Zorlon i really hope it works

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Best of luck with that let me know if you have further issues

e.g. the burned CD does not boot at all (usually just if the chip does not support PAL boot up code, but I know I can fix that aswell, but as far as I know it was only ever the first few PSone mod chips that had the region still locked, Import Player was made for that but it's better just to patch the boot code instead)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Best of luck with that let me know if you have further issues

e.g. the burned CD does not boot at all (usually just if the chip does not support PAL boot up code, but I know I can fix that aswell, but as far as I know it was only ever the first few PSone mod chips that had the region still locked, Import Player was made for that but it's better just to patch the boot code instead)
    it works!! i can play it on my tv with no flaws... but the screen is a bit down tho... but only a little... i just dont get it why is it last time the FF8 didnt work but this time it works? Anyway thanks Zorlon!!

Thanks

Hi guys, I'm new to burning games as well. I only know how to strictly burn ISO files, however lots of the downloads on this website are not in this format.

I'm currently trying to burn DDR - Disney Mix [U]. I've downloaded and extracted the file and ended up with a folder containing a .ccd file, .img file, and .sub file. I'm following Zorlon's advice and am using ImgBurn as well. So I've gathered that .ccd and .cue files are the same and this file is what I should burn when using ImgBurn to play this copied game on my PS2. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can verify if I'm correctly burning this game, here are my steps:

1. Download File
    2. Extract Files
    3. Open ImgBurn
    4. Under the "Mode" tab, click "Write" on the drop-down menu
    5. Under "Source", browse for the .ccd file
    6. Change "Write Speed" to 4x
    7. Click on the "Write" picture to start burning

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Write Speed; what's the general speed for burning on a DVD, or a CD (or is there no difference?)
    In my case I'm burning this game on a TDK CD-R 80 Minute, 700MB, 52x.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tomoe View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to burning games as well. I only know how to strictly burn ISO files, however lots of the downloads on this website are not in this format.

I'm currently trying to burn DDR - Disney Mix [U]. I've downloaded and extracted the file and ended up with a folder containing a .ccd file, .img file, and .sub file. I'm following Zorlon's advice and am using ImgBurn as well. So I've gathered that .ccd and .cue files are the same and this file is what I should burn when using ImgBurn to play this copied game on my PS2. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can verify if I'm correctly burning this game, here are my steps:

1. Download File
    2. Extract Files
    3. Open ImgBurn
    4. Under the "Mode" tab, click "Write" on the drop-down menu
    5. Under "Source", browse for the .ccd file
    6. Change "Write Speed" to 4x
    7. Click on the "Write" picture to start burning

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Write Speed; what's the general speed for burning on a DVD, or a CD (or is there no difference?)
    In my case I'm burning this game on a TDK CD-R 80 Minute, 700MB, 52x.
    The General speed (if I'm correct) is 52x on CDs and 8x on DVDs.

"TDK CD-R 80 Minute, 700MB, 52x" These are the details of the CD, the max write speed it has is 52x (going beyond that would most likely corrupt the data you try to write on a disc). Now, when burning a DVD image go with 4x because the image is less likely to corrupt and you will get the full potential of the image when running it on the disc.
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response bigbigbuddy. I knew I remembered a write speed of 4x from somewhere, it's probably what I used to burn ISO files on DVDs a long time ago to backup my games.

I tried playing the CD that I burned at 4x write speed and it didn't work; so, I should retry it at a speed of 52x? And I also tried burning this game on a DVD at a write speed of 4x and the following error popped up:

Name:  Error.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  70.1 KB

Does this mean that it's just not possible to burn PS1 games onto DVDs? (this is the first time I've tried burning/backing up a PS1 game) Or would I have to convert one of the files (.ccd, .img, .sub) into something else to successfully burn the game onto a DVD?

Thanks in advance for the info I'll try again tomorrow when I wake up.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Generally for burning speed the best thing for all media types is to burn at the slowest speed possible to get the best quality burn

using the media's fastest burn speed gives the maximum risk of corrupt burns (You shouldn't be able to actually burn at a greater speed than the media's max)

burning for PC use in general you can get away with using faster speeds (still not recomended but you can get away with it), for console use though just stick to the slowest you can go, setting the burning software to go at x1 speed is fine as it will go faster anyway depending on your burning hardware

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

hello while its still fresh on me... you need to burn those in CD-R.. i never tried on DVD tho... i burn them all on CD-R with 8x speed.. the lowest for CD i suppose

Thanks

Hm, so I burned the game onto a CD again at 8x speed this time, and it still didn't work. I'm pretty sure that I'm burning correctly, so I'm thinking it's because my boot disc doesn't work well with the CD format; is there any way I can burn this onto a DVD Zorlon? How would I fix that disc image error that I posted before?

I use Swap Magic to play my burned/backed up games. It works perfectly fine for all of my backup PS2 games that I burned onto DVDs. I remember reading somewhere that the CD version of Swap Magic doesn't work too well, so it's best to just stick with the DVD. Are there any Swap Magic experts here? The error I'm getting for the CD swap is "Not a valid PS2 Disc." But I've never had a problem with the DVD boot disc. I think that burning games onto DVDs will solve my problem, I just don't know how to do that for a PS1 game, since I'm getting that disc image error.
    Last edited by Tomoe; 27th-December-2011 at 19:36.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You need to use the Swap Magic CD for CD games and the Swap Magic DVD for DVD games

Also by the looks of it you are burning a PSX game... well your out of luck Swap Magic only supports PS2 software not PSX software

As for the error you are trying to burn a CD onto a DVD... it's not possible without converting

Some not all PS2 CD's can be burned onto DVD after you convert it to a DVD format image (it's not that simple either, I can dig out a link on the how to later if you wish) [can not be done with PSX/PSone software though]

EDIT:- I'm very much correct that is a PSX/PSone CD image that can't be booted by any Swap Magic version
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-December-2011 at 19:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    You need to use the Swap Magic CD for CD games and the Swap Magic DVD for DVD games

Also by the looks of it you are burning a PSX game... well your out of luck Swap Magic only supports PS2 software not PSX software

As for the error you are trying to burn a CD onto a DVD... it's not possible without converting

Some not all PS2 CD's can be burned onto DVD after you convert it to a DVD format image (it's not that simple either, I can dig out a link on the how to later if you wish) [can not be done with PSX/PSone software though]

EDIT:- I'm very much correct that is a PSX/PSone CD image that can't be booted by any Swap Magic version
    Ah... Did not know that Swap Magic was strictly for PS2 games. Well that sucks I really don't like modding my PS2, I like to keep it original with just the 3 sensors blocked. I know that the Swap Magic DVD is for PS2 games burned onto DVDs, but I thought the Swap Magic CD was for PS1 CD games (since it seems very improbable that a PS2 ISO would fit onto a CD because of its large size...) Anyways, thanks a lot for the info Zorlon I guess I'll just stick with PS2 games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Tomoe View Post
    Ah... Did not know that Swap Magic was strictly for PS2 games. Well that sucks I really don't like modding my PS2, I like to keep it original with just the 3 sensors blocked. I know that the Swap Magic DVD is for PS2 games burned onto DVDs, but I thought the Swap Magic CD was for PS1 CD games (since it seems very improbable that a PS2 ISO would fit onto a CD because of its large size...) Anyways, thanks a lot for the info Zorlon I guess I'll just stick with PS2 games.
    Sorry for the super late replies and thanks Zorlon for taking care of it while I was gone =D thing is Swap Magic CD was strictly made for PS2 because PSX was becoming obsolete if not it already was, so the demand was much greater for PS2. But I swear I was reading a tutorial on how to run Swap Magic for PS1 games.

EDIT: Just found the tutorial =] link: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=47772.0

Now with write speeds; can you not go any lower than 8x? I'm pretty sure that I have the option for 4x with CDs.
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are a number of CD PS2 games around just no as many as DVD games

back in the day you used to be able to use certain PSone cheat CD's aswell as other PSone import player/boot CD's but I can see those being hard to find now

there is a softmod that can be used that involves swopping a retail PSone game with a backup

on the subject of softmods ESR+FreeMCboot does not change a thing on the PS2 it just changes files on your memcard, so if you boot the PS2 without the memcard in you boot the PS2 up normally

ESR lets you boot patched DVD games directly without swopping discs round (because of this and the way it works even multi DVD games are fully playable that can't be played fully with swap magic, you don't even need to have any sensor blocked)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Isn't that practically officially signing the image on the disc to allow them to be run?