Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I know nothing about Wii modding, so...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    You can, but if you want to play newer games, you have to use GeckoOS as it's the only way to bypass the update screen.
    New one on me, update blocking was there since not long after the Wii was cracked, never ever needed Gecko at all for old or new games with disc updates and untill recently I was on Wii menu 3.1E (Updated that um 2 days back because I wanted the wads from SD feature)

I have over 800 games so far and everything works great

Also run my originals without issue, without them asking for an updates [Includes the brand new zelda] (USB games uploaded to a HDD with most software will remove the updates from those anyway)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-January-2012 at 20:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've visited your tutorials. One says I'll need a 2GB card, the other says I'll need an 8 GB card. Can't I just get one of 8 and mod it with that?

Also, can I use a HDD with stuff that has other stuff than Wii games? Or does it need to be completely empty?

Yes I promise I'll stop asking questions sometime
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post
    I've visited your tutorials. One says I'll need a 2GB card, the other says I'll need an 8 GB card. Can't I just get one of 8 and mod it with that?

Also, can I use a HDD with stuff that has other stuff than Wii games? Or does it need to be completely empty?

Yes I promise I'll stop asking questions sometime
    Never heard of needing an 8GB SD

I have heard of needing a 2GB none SDHC to be on the side of precaution as some of the hacking software seems to fail on some SDHC cards, this inturn has a chance of bricking your Wii (Not personal exp, I currently only use a 2GB SD) but after the hacking is done you can use SDHC cards all you like

You can partition any HDD ... Just make some unformated partitions and some more formated for use with your PC, the unformated ones, use a WBFS formatter (Most Wii USB Managers have a WBFS format tool built in)

The Wii (I only use USB Loader GX so not sure about other loaders) anyway it will auto maticly read all partitions that are the same format as one drive for example I have my drive in 3 partitions 2 WBFS ones and 1 Fat32 (My drive is 2TB) I have games on both the WBFS partitions (you can only have 500 games on a HDD but because I have 2 partitions I can have 1000 max games on it now and all games are shown in go) my Fat32 partition just has loader files on it (cover art ect) and roms for emulators such as SNES and Magadrive

WBFS format is very recomended, though you can use Fat32 and NTFS formated drives aswell, but most loaders will work beter with WBFS infact some can only read from WBFS formated drives
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-January-2012 at 21:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

afaik the new "Wii Family Edition"s don't have GC compatibility. Apparently , they don't have GC controller ports, which makes this lack of compatibility a hardware limitation that cannot be fixed with mods. Check to see if the Wii you're buying has GC controller ports on the sides. It should also have GC memory card slots.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    New one on me, update blocking was there since not long after the Wii was cracked, never ever needed Gecko at all for old or new games with disc updates and untill recently I was on Wii menu 3.1E (Updated that um 2 days back because I wanted the wads from SD feature)

I have over 800 games so far and everything works great

Also run my originals without issue, without them asking for an updates [Includes the brand new zelda] (USB games uploaded to a HDD with most software will remove the updates from those anyway)
    I tried Tatsunoko vs Capcom on my softmodded Wii and couldn't play it without updating the Wii, so I just ran it through Gecko and I think I read it somewhere else too.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    I tried Tatsunoko vs Capcom on my softmodded Wii and couldn't play it without updating the Wii, so I just ran it through Gecko and I think I read it somewhere else too.
    Works fine for me, you just need to make sure disc and online updates are blocked, some things need updating as they come out though to keep up with compat, not the menu updates but the actual cios updates need to be maintained (Best off looking online for the correct updates and how to install, some tinkering can mess things up)

That game is rather old now and I actually played that one from disc when I first modded my Wii with no issues at all (I also coppied the game onto the HDD via USB Loader GX, the game was a friends original)

This was atleast 3 years back now atleast maybe longer

Check out http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Gam...tibility_Table for more info on USB loading atleast

Looks like you got bad info but hey if Gecko got it working for you, thats still great, but it realy isn't needed

EDIT:- may of been good info at some point, but if it was it was a long time ago now
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-January-2012 at 23:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Never heard of needing an 8GB SD

I have heard of needing a 2GB none SDHC to be on the side of precaution as some of the hacking software seems to fail on some SDHC cards, this inturn has a chance of bricking your Wii (Not personal exp, I currently only use a 2GB SD) but after the hacking is done you can use SDHC cards all you like
    Point is, I'm highly interested in playing Gamecube games, and, given I have none, I'm using Linky's tuto. In it, it reccommends a decent sized card (8 GB). I just wanted to save myself a couple of bucks by buying just one card, guess I'll get the 2GB one too.
    Any brand you'd reccommend?
    Also, off what you tell me, once the Wii's been modded, I don't need to have the SD I modded it with IN the console anymore? Not even if I turn it off? If I get more than one card (because of the NGC games), I'm going to need to switch between them.

Another thing is that I've had a great experience with high speed memories in my PSP and I'd like to use one for the Gamecube games. Would this be possible, then?
    Sorry, just got a little confused.

You can partition any HDD ... Just make some unformated partitions and some more formated for use with your PC, the unformated ones, use a WBFS formatter (Most Wii USB Managers have a WBFS format tool built in)

The Wii (I only use USB Loader GX so not sure about other loaders) anyway it will auto maticly read all partitions that are the same format as one drive for example I have my drive in 3 partitions 2 WBFS ones and 1 Fat32 (My drive is 2TB) I have games on both the WBFS partitions (you can only have 500 games on a HDD but because I have 2 partitions I can have 1000 max games on it now and all games are shown in go) my Fat32 partition just has loader files on it (cover art ect) and roms for emulators such as SNES and Megadrive

WBFS format is very recomended, though you can use Fat32 and NTFS formated drives aswell, but most loaders will work beter with WBFS infact some can only read from WBFS formated drives
    Ok, I think I get it. Still, I'm a noob. How can I make partitions? And do I have to delete everything in the drive before doing so?
    I know, stupid questions. So very typical of me...
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Computer Managment

In Computer Managment

Storage > Disc Managment

There you can right click on a drives space and hit shrink or delete volume ect to resize things then create fresh partitions in the deleted space/unpartitioned space left after you have shrunk used space, it's easy enough to figure out

2GB SD cards would not mater so much on brand, but sandisc and kingston do good cards

SDHC you want to get one as fast as afordable class (4) or above (there are class 10 cards but these are well over priced, class (4) should be more than enough)

the SD card you hacked it with is not needed after no as you can have whatever you want on the SDHC card instead

for me the only things on my SD are programs USB Loader GX because I use a forwarder that points to the SD card, I also have a few emulators stored on the SD aswell to be loaded via the Homebrew Channel, but if I boot my Wii with No SD inserted it doesn't effect the way it boots in any way, all hacks and mods are stored in the Wii's internal memory, not the SD card, the SD card can store many progs though that can run either by a forwarder or the Homebrew Channel
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-January-2012 at 18:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: