Thread: Game burning problem?

Thanks

Default Game burning problem?

Hey there, I don't mean to post this in the wrong forum but I'm not entirely sure what this should go under.

I am asking the help of all the game burning gurus on this website, Ive been attempting to burn some PSX and PS2 games but I seem to be having a problem. I'm using Taiyo Yuden discs for both, the dvds are TYG03 and TYG02. The cds are TY as well with a minimum burn speed of 10x.

To sum up what I know, as far as I know I'm doing everything right but the games will seem to work fine up until a point then it will just freeze. Examples:
    - trying to play Parasite Eve on Psx. Seems fine, on main menu, select "Tutorial", goes to black screen and freezes.
    - trying to play Shadow Hearts on ps2. Got to the menu, started a new game. Watched the awesome opening video, fought a few battles and this time the game goes to a white screen and freezes...

I'm using a chipped PSX and a PS2 with FMCB. My best guess is my laptop burner is a piece of shit? Planning on getting a new computer really soon so I'd really like to know what you all think the problem could be and maybe suggest me a top of the line dvd burner to get in my new comp.

Also, about dvd burners: do you need a burner that can do as low as 4x?

Thanks for any help, I'm just lost and would love a nudge in the right direction!

Thanks

hi
    i'm no expert but i can tell you the programme i use to burn discs is powerISO set at the lowest speed it wil allow, usually 10x somtimes 4x.

on the note of your games freezing, have you checked if they need a patch to be playable, i know from experience that there's still a few psx roms need patchin to be playable.

hope this helps a little.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

powerISO er no keep clear of this and stick to IMGburn (some of the features of PowerISO can break PSX images, specificly STR and XA headers when converting ISO formats)

please understand I am in no way picking on phoenix1234 here, the rest of the info is perfect

burn as slow as possible (even if the slowest is 16x that would be the best result for that drive, no you do not need a drive that can go as low as 4X)

There are alot of PSX games that need patching, though parasite eve is not one of those

The problem may well be the media that you are burning onto or the laser of the PS2/PSX, look at the media first though (lets hope it's the media )

The laser on the PSX can be altered with ease (make sure you do that by very very small amounts)
    The laser on the PS2 can also be altered but it is very hard to get to and is very easy to brick it , if you are not sure then don't

Your burner may be a problem, but don't consider that just yet

Verbatim is a very good brand but make sure for CD's and DVD's, also grab DVD+R's for your ESR patched games

With DVD+R's you should be able to get away with more brands as DVD+R's tend to be higher quality but even a few of those will either degrade quickly or will still be of poor quality

VideoHelp has a very good dvd media guide including console compat
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

The best thing to do would be use imgburn like zorlon said, try disks from a well known brand to such as sony, the disks you use do make a big difference, i know some one whom burned Gran turismo 3 or 4 to a cheap Dvd, it worked but it took along time to load, once they burnt it to some decent disks it worked fine.
    Lowering the burn speed to the lowest you can bear to put up with is the best way to go, disks burnt at a lower speed are easier to read for the machine and last longer than disks burnt at a higher speed. hope you get your games working

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    powerISO er no keep clear of this and stick to IMGburn (some of the features of PowerISO can break PSX images, specificly STR and XA headers when converting ISO formats)
    i never realised it was such a bad programme, ive used it for about 2 yrs now and never had a problem with it, and thats burning discs for all sorts of different formats, BUT i'm open to new things, i'll give IMGburn a go seeing as it seems to be the flavour of the month

Thanks

IMGburn isn't new. Definitely a good burner, I used it years ago. I'm using Taiyo Yuden discs so I don't think the discs are the problem. I will see my friend soon and I will burn a dvd with his burner and test it.

How would I know if I need to adjust my laser?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If a perfect burn works on one PSX and not another... not sure realy lol I know I have had CD's struggle to read on my olde PSX and a quick tune of the laser made it perfect.

Though for the PS2 I would advise not to try this, the PSX though shouldn't give you issues

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the tip about adjusting the laser! I googled it and found just what I needed, had to adjust it probably 5 times but I've now played an hour of Parasite Eve with all videos running perfectly no skipping.

I used my brothers laptop to burn this time and I burned a copy of Shadow Hearts on a TYG02 rather than 03 and I will try it later tonight.

Thanks again, really hope it's my burner that was the problem because I don't know what else I could be doing .