Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using DVD Discs on Slim PS2

Thanks

Hello,

Does LightScribing and LightScribing too much affect and weaken the life of the DVD writer lens??

I am new to this thing and I just bought some LightScibe DVDs and would like to try it out....

My DVD writer is LG External Super Multi DVD ReWriter

So, can anyone tell me how LightScribing is done through the DVD writer?

Does it shorten the life of the laser or lens that someday I wouldn't be able to burn DVDs anymore?

I would like to print the PS2 game cover on my burned DVD!!!

Thanks for any help...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the laser pushes the die around on the disc and is only 2 colour the colour of the disc and the colour of the die

you might want to get a printer+CD stickers instead... up to you

as far as I know nope the laser should be fine, it is designed for that

PC drives are alot more robust than any console drive as PC drives are designed to read all media types from blank discs to pre pressed discs but consoles tend to be made to only read pressed discs

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hello,
    I am downloading all PS2 titles from this website and many thanks to the uploaders of them...\
    But I have a question....

I bought Sony brand DVDs and I am now storing these games on them... 4 games on a DVD, some games exceed 2 gig, so the DVD might only hold 2 games ....

Is it OK to store the games on DVDs???
    I am afraid that someday these DVDs wont be read anymore so what should I do if that happened??
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 10th-November-2011 at 08:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCitadel View Post
    Hello,
    I am downloading all PS2 titles from this website and many thanks to the uploaders of them...\
    But I have a question....

I bought Sony brand DVDs and I am now storing these games on them... 4 games on a DVD, some games exceed 2 gig, so the DVD might only hold 2 games ....

Is it OK to store the games on DVDs???
    I am afraid that someday these DVDs wont be read anymore so what should I do if that happened??
    for a starter you do realise you cannot store more than one game per disc? it will not recongise any of the games, and what do you mean storing them? so that you can rip them off the DVD at a later date or to actually play them?
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds likes he's archiving the ISOs for later on DVD+R. In which case it would probably be better to just get an external or internal hard drive and keep the ISOs/RARs on there rather than relying on discs.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Sounds likes he's archiving the ISOs for later on DVD+R. In which case it would probably be better to just get an external or internal hard drive and keep the ISOs/RARs on there rather than relying on discs.
    thought as much, and yeah that would be the most reliable and cheapest option for sure a 1.5TB external HDD is £61.86 not sure how good toshiba drives are though mind you
    *Computer Specs*

Thanks

Yes, Inferno is right, I am keeping up to 2 games zipped on the disc to play them on a later time......
    So, storing them on DVD+R is not good?
    But the external HDD will fail someday as well, wont it?

Many people have told me that external Hard drives don't live longer...

One day I told father to bring me an external HDD when I learned about this FreeMCBoot method I told him that PS2 can read games off USB HDD,
    the next day he brought me a TOSHIBA one, and when I put a game on it and tried it, it wont read it and gives me this white screen, I tried another few games, it wont read them as well, I went to the PS2 store who told me about FreeMCBoot, he told me that some hard drives are not compatible with my ps2 or with FreeMCBoot, he tried it himself, and after that when I put the hard drive on PC, it wont recognize it anymore, the lamb of the HDD is turned yellow, but it doesn't show the partitions....

Anyone knows anything about this??

I said to myself that PS2 is the cause of this...
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 11th-November-2011 at 00:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes, Inferno is right, I am keeping up to 2 games zipped on the disc to play them on a later time......
    So, storing them on DVD+R is not good?
    But the external HDD will fail someday as well, wont it?

Many people have told me that external Hard drives don't live longer...

One day I told father to bring me an external HDD when I learned about this FreeMCBoot method I told him that PS2 can read games off USB HDD,
    the next day he brought me a TOSHIBA one, and when I put a game on it and tried it, it wont read it and gives me this white screen, I tried another few games, it wont read them as well, I went to the PS2 store who told me about FreeMCBoot, he told me that some hard drives are not compatible with my ps2 or with FreeMCBoot, he tried it himself, and after that when I put the hard drive on PC, it wont recognize it anymore, the lamb of the HDD is turned yellow, but it doesn't show the partitions....

Anyone knows anything about this??

I said to myself that PS2 is the cause of this...
    The reason why it didnt work could be down to any number of reasons for example, the hard drive may not be compatible, MCboot was not installed correctly, didnt have the correct application installed and stuff like that, as for it not working on the PC either that could be down to incorrect drivers, or it could be that it some how corrupted when you put a game on it, where was it you downloaded it from and are you sure that your HDD did not have any viruses on it from your computer? If it did then it would have transfered over to your hard drive which in turn could have corrupted it, also did you need to plug in this hard drive to a plug or did you just do it via USB?
    *Computer Specs*

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Another reason could just be the fact that USB loading sucks, the compat is low and when a game does work it's takes an age to load and all games that normally read from the disc mid game will lag mid game

P.S. sounds like the drive is now dead

Do you get any clicking sounds from the drive now?

Oh yeah I have plenty of games stored compressed on DVD+R's there will be some that are rather small compressed so you can sometimes get a few on there, though DVD+R or any disc media is prone to scratching and obtaining various marks that can make them unreadable, even storing them in a place that light/heat can get to them will warp there shape eventually

If you go for the HDD backup method it would be better to have 2 seperate HDD's both having the same backups on em, then if one dies you just get another and back the surviving HDD up onto the new drive

Recently I lost a 1TB drive and a 300GB drive within the same month ... gutted but restored most of it back now, one just got corrupt and has reading issues... can't format it successfully the other one the board had died on it, so all it does is click, to replace the board on my 300GB when I looked actually cost almost the same as it did to replace it with a 2TB drive, so it wasn't worth the money plus I had to take a chip off the old borad and solder it onto a new in the hope that the chip was not fried
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-November-2011 at 19:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Another reason could just be the fact that USB loading sucks, the compat is low and when a game does work it's takes an age to load and all games that normally read from the disc mid game will lag mid game

Oh yeah I have plenty of games stored compressed on DVD+R's there will be some that are rather small compressed so you can sometimes get a few on there, though DVD+R or any disc media is prone to scratching and obtaining various marks that can make them unreadable, even storing them in a place that light/heat can get to them will warp there shape eventually

If you go for the HDD backup method it would be better to have 2 seperate HDD's both having the same backups on em, then if one dies you just get another and back the surviving HDD up onto the new drive

Recently I lost a 1TB drive and a 300GB drive within the same month ... gutted but restored most of it back now, one just got corrupt and has reading issues... can't format it successfully the other one the board had died on it, so all it does is click, to replace the board on my 300GB when I looked actually cost almost the same as it did to replace it with a 2TB drive, so it wasn't worth the money plus I had to take a chip off the old borad and solder it onto a new in the hope that the chip was not fried
    oh wow that sounds like a real back breaker :s ive recently purchased a 500 GB hdd portable one, so im hoping that this will be all good and last me a while
    *Computer Specs*

Thanks
    EP Points

Ps2 games = discs.

Hdd for ps2 is to much of a damn hassle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post

That's why I am worried about buying HDD as well because I know such issues that stop the life of the HDD...

Thanks
    EP Points

That's why I am worried about buying HDD as well because I know such issues that stop the life of the HDD...
    but the thing is, discs are more prone to breaking than hard drives are, i mean it is at the end of the day entirely down to you but i would go for a hard drive
    *Computer Specs*

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't take what I said as what happens to everyone or every HDD I have also got a drive I have had for years the one in my Xbox original (120GB replacement drive) I have had for atleast over 10 years without issue was used in a PC prior to being in my Xbox

Think, I don't remember, I have had that one for just over 15 years, had a number of comps in the past so not sure when I got that drive, it's just a normal IDE drive not a SATA

The best way is to store an external is a dry clean solid area, away from carpet ect.. preferably not to be moved round and never moved while the drive is active

Some things are unavoidable though

Basicly the same as disc media it's all in the care of them, even discs can go bad and seemingly for no reason, even a bit of damp can split the layers of a disc (not talking about dual layer discs either just the silver layer comming away from the plastic disc, the plastic can obsorb substance, cheaper discs tend to be more prone) there are tons of other ways discs can go bad that is just an example
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-November-2011 at 14:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Hello,
    finally I am going to buy a slim ps2...
    ( 1 ) Do I have to buy a network adapter for it or does it already have one?
    ( 2 ) Can the USB 16 GB Flash disk work the same as a USB HDD when I use it with the network adapter (HDD Loader)?? Because I am not going to use FreeMCBoot anymore....