Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using DVD Discs on Slim PS2

Thanks

Default Using DVD Discs on Slim PS2

Hello,
    My brother has bought a new slim ps2 for his kids...
    I am here to ask: Is it OK to burn games on those SONY, Imation, or any 4.7 GB DVDs and run them on that slim PS2??

Do these burned discs shorten the life of the lens' laser quickly??
    And what is better? buy those DVDs which have a golden color at their back side, and which are sold at PS2 stores?
    Or burn the ISOs and give them to my brother??

Because I can download a lot of ISOs from here, many of them which are not available at store anymore..

By the way, I also have a question about when it comes to burn an ISO....
    I have a LG Super Multi DVD Re-writer....
    What is the difference between the different burning x-speed?
    For example, I wanted to burn a folder that contains 3 games, when I use Ashampoo Burning Studio, there are about 4 different speed for burning...
    When I choose to burn the disc at 20x speed, I hear a loud DVD spinning sound, while when I chose to burn with the lowest speed 4x I didn't hear any sound at all...

Does burning at maximum speed shorten the life of the DVD writer as well??

Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by BlackCitadel; 27th-October-2011 at 00:22.

Thanks
    EP Points

No, they should not damage his PS2 any more than an official game would.

As for official vs. burned:
    Buying the official games is less of a hassle but might cost more money. Vice versa, burned games cost less money but can be more of a hassle to play. Also, if you do not own the original game in one form or another, it is technically illegal to make a backup. But if I could not find the official game, then I would feel fine burning it. But if it matters that much to you (or him) can you find the games online? Ebay?

But, before you even begin burning games, can his PS2 play burned discs (the PS2 does not play burned or "backup" games naturally)? Has he installed a Modchip? Does he have a memory card with Free Memory Card Boot(FMCB) and ESR installed?

Everyone I know has always said to burn at the lowest speed (with the exception of certain games and discs). 4x should do the trick.

Also as far as I know, you don't burn a folder with multiple games on a disk and then put it in your PS2. You burn a single image on a single disk and that is your game. (There maybe some homebrew that allows you to explore a DVD and then load it from there, but I doubt it).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 27th-October-2011 at 04:51.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Burn at the lowest speed possible.
    It'll make your writer AND PS2 lens live longer.

Brand of DVDs doesn't really matter much, unless you'd want to play a game extensively and on long periods of time.

There's no need for first brand, but it'd be better in the long run (Sony, Teltron, Philips, IPC, etc.)

Oh yes, and, of course, his PS2 must be chipped, or be an old model with FMCB. Else, the copies won't work.

See ya.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1 DVD+R media will be more compatible
    2 Verbatim is one of the best branded media out there (amazon tends to have them for good prices)
    3 almost every system out there will use the laser more to read backup media compared to original media, the beter the media used the less risk of laser damage
    4 alot of Slim users find DVD-DL/DVD9 discs don't read very well compared to DVD/DVD5 disc's (if needs be dig out DVD5 rips if you find out a game you want was on a DL/DVD9 disc)
    5 burn at the lowest speed your burner can, to help ensure quality burns

basicly anything that the PS2 struggled to read including scratched original will give the laser strain

if you want a guide for media look at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia this also includes console compat
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-October-2011 at 17:59.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

If your brother wants FMCB installed check my sig for someone in your region the service is free of charge
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks

So, Sony is not better than Verbatim?
    And you say that burned discs will damage the laser because the lens uses more laser to read them?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

yes 100% sony dvd's are a lower quality dvd

even originals that are scratched will degrade a laser, this is true of even CD and DVD based console

I have ran dvd+r's on my PS2 for years though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Which DVD brand did you use? Verbatim?
    or just using original games?
    And which PS2? Slim or Fat?

Thanks
    EP Points

I personally use many different types of dvd+r for my slim ps2 with FMCB. I have used Verbatim, sony, cheap amazon disc, kodak, even discs from the pound shop. I have never had a problem running ANY of my ps2 games, and my ps2 is still going strong.

I know the more you pay the better the quality but i find personally that for me it dosnt matter as long as i burn slowly and take care of my discs (no throwing em around the room lol).

I know people are gonna dissagree with this but hey its what works for me. Just try out some different DVDs and see how it goes, there really is no need to go buying the most expensive out there.

Jeez i got 100 amazon DVD+R for £11 and they work PERFECT.

Peace

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Darklinky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks.
    Then I am going to buy Sony and burn at the lowest speed, 4x and try to keep them clean....
    But what is better to keep my DVDs?
    This CD bag case which contains about 80 packets, or this grey little cover?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well i personally print out covers and stick the games in dvd boxes. Keeps em clean and looks cool (at least it does when you have 200+ on a shelf) but if not any little sleves that you can pick up for practically nowt, but the best i think are the ones that sorta have a fabric inside, sorry dont know what they are called

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Keep mine on a spindle... beter on smaller spindles though rather than 100 disc spindles

By the way just about any DVD+R should work DVD-R are a hell of alot more picky, alot of DVD-R's will just not work at all, there are very few DVD+R's that will fail though and I have also used some very cheap ones in the past, but thats where that stays in the past alot of those do not work now and have degraded with light more than anything, quality DVD's don't do that

Best bet is just to check the guide I linked and get more info on your media before you buy it, every brand has various grades aswell so me just saying get Verbatim wasn't the best way to say because even some verbatims are not going to work on the PS2

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Keep mine on a spindle... beter on smaller spindles though rather than 100 disc spindles

By the way just about any DVD+R should work DVD-R are a hell of alot more picky, alot of DVD-R's will just not work at all, there are very few DVD+R's that will fail though and I have also used some very cheap ones in the past, but thats where that stays in the past alot of those do not work now and have degraded with light more than anything, quality DVD's don't do that

Best bet is just to check the guide I linked and get more info on your media before you buy it, every brand has various grades aswell so me just saying get Verbatim wasn't the best way to say because even some verbatims are not going to work on the PS2
    As I understood it, DVD-R is a more compatible format, no idea about PS2s though.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

No, spindle is not good if I am going to keep my burned DVDs..
    Because I will have to take all of the discs out of the spindle just to look for the game I am looking for....

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCitadel View Post
    No, spindle is not good if I am going to keep my burned DVDs..
    Because I will have to take all of the discs out of the spindle just to look for the game I am looking for....
    Good point dude lol. Silly Zorlon

Naw he did say a small spindle tho, maybe like 10 or something. If for easyness i would just get something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UKayed-Padde...9840654&sr=8-5

not bad for £2 but there are better ones
    Last edited by Darklinky; 28th-October-2011 at 22:25.