Thread: help with a amiga emulator please

Thanks
    EP Points

Default help with a amiga emulator please

I... ugh, i honestly have no idea whatsoever how to use this type of emulator (never could figure out a pc type emulator).

if possible i'd like to try the game Exile for amiga as i just heard about it on another site and figured i'd see what its like but then i hit a problem, i tried downloading the emulator (wrong one?) http://www.emuparadise.me/Amiga_Emul...dows/WinUAE/72 (WinUAE[2.0.1]) and its got a file size of what, 4 bytes? winrar says its corrupt or something so i'm at a deadend

Thanks
    EP Points

Download from official website:

http://www.winuae.net/

Download the Exile disks

Then you'll need kickstart roms, forExile (AGA) version you'll need kickstart 2.0 or greater, 1.3 for the standard version!

Read the winuae docs for emu setup

Hint: extract winuae, put kickstarts and game disks on the same dir, run winuae, check the settings/paths, go to hardware/floppy drivers, insert exile disk 1 in DF0:, exile disk 2 in DF1: etc, go to settings/quickstart and select a Amiga 1200 for AGA version or Amiga 500 for standard version (increase the hardware/ram chipset and fast to 1 MB.) Go to host/ and configure your gamepad, mouse, video settings etc.

Start the emu (if you've bad dumped kickstart winuae warn you), play!

Thanks
    EP Points

wow, complex emulator but thanks for the help

well i got it set up right and the game botted correctly except now theres the matter of all the colors being messed up (its all purple and black). if it matters and it sometimes does with old software, i'm using windows vista on my laptop... well i'm off to check what the controls for that game are wherever i can find out

o.O disc 1 is just a image with music playing and i'm not sure but disc 2 makes some kind of computer command prompt come up? as for the color issue mentioned above had it set to amiga 500 instead of 1200 (fixed that). and now i'm lost on what to do again, sorry but stuff like amiga is older than i am so its all new to me in a way
    Last edited by treos; 23rd-August-2011 at 19:28.

Thanks
    EP Points

I tested both exiles (AGA e OCS) and they works fine.

The OCS version is just one disk, it loads until a EXILE picture, run some music, say "... Journey to space", load something and then the game start.

The AGA version load as previous, but after the speech you need to press a key o joystick button, then it say insert disk 2 (it use only DF0:), so press END+F1 and load Exile disk 2.

The game use both joystick for movement and mouse button for "action menu".

Don't use "fullscreen mode" until you've a working config (run Winuae and look at game window: POWER|CD|HD|DF0:|DF1|DF2|ecc.. You can see if DF0: is loading something...)

Here my working config for both games (use a text editor and compare with yours)

Configurations.zip

Thanks
    EP Points

decided to go with the 1 disc version of the game which worked and started up easier than the 2 disc version, also after a bit of checking on google i have located the manual for this game if anyone else needs/wants it (these are the keyboard controls and it IS pretty complex :/) http://www.nemmelheim.de/exile/files/exile-manual.txt or i can edit this post and add it as a attachment if anyone wants

well i got the game running and those keyboard controls do work, and even with that help the game is quite difficult to figure out (can't get past the first area), i think i'd rather try setting up a sega saturn emulator than mess with this amiga stuff :/ honestly, this is HARD and actually makes me wonder how they even got the amiga games playable in the first place (first games for me were nes)
    Last edited by treos; 24th-August-2011 at 15:40.

Thanks
    EP Points

On standard Amiga: turn on the computer, insert a disk, wait loading (swap disks), and play, easy as insert a cardridge on nes or a CD on sega saturn! With a standard configuration for 1.3 and 2.0 you can play almost all amiga games!

Winuae like the DosBox are computer emulators: Amiga, like PC have different models, configurations, hardware. Mine is a A2000 with extend memory, HD and dual Kickstart (1.3, 2.0).

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Recomend Exile for the PC-Engine instead thats if they are the same game, they may not be... but the PC-Engine is a console rather than a computer so you may find that alot easier

Amiga isn't all that hard to emulate though, loved the old Amiga and the fact that it is rather well emulated nower days is a bonus

Amiga in a Box AIAB might also be of interest if it's still online not looked at Amiga stuffs for a lil while though

Amiga also has CD games and HDD games so maybe there is a HDD installed version or CD version kicking around, a lil rusty so not sure... HDD versions do pop up every now and then but must be booted via the correct kickstart/workbench ect...
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-August-2011 at 19:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR