Thread: Problem playing burned PS2 games.

Thanks

Default Problem playing burned PS2 games.

Several years ago, I modded my slim PS2 using the tape and tissue method and bought Swap Magic Pro. I did this so that I could play some Japanese import games and it worked perfectly. I also had no problem playing a few burned games. Like, they played perfectly.

Well fast forward a few years and one of the import games (King of Colosseum II) ended up getting badly scratched and is basically unplayable, the load times are awful and the sound is screwed up. I sold the game to somebody online for dirt cheap. Recently, I downloaded an iso of the game and burned it to a disc, but it's not working correctly. The game takes forever to boot up (like over 10 minutes), and the sound is messed up. It's actually doing almost the exact same thing that my old game did. I was actually convinced that the guy I sold the game to had put the ISO online and that I had downloaded it, so I tried some other games.

I have since tried King of Colosseum Red (the prequel to KOC II) and I couldn't get past the initial loading screen. I also tried Persona 4 and absolutely nothing happened.

I'm using Verbatim DVD-R's which I have heard are the best for this sort of thing. I have also tried Sony DVD+RW since I had them laying around. I'm using DVD Decryptor to burn the games, as that's what I've always used. For what it's worth, my swap magic DVD disc is scratched pretty badly, but it seems to work fine. Does anybody have any idea what I can do to make the games work? A better program or brand of discs perhaps?

Thanks
    EP Points

might be the laser or you burned iso too fast

Thanks
    EP Points

verbatims are indeed the best media that you can get, i would like to know how fast you burned your discs at? also i have no issues you using DVDdecrepter but people here tend to recomened imgburn but thats just us you could also get FMCB installed to your PS2 free of charge by one of our volenteers, check my sig for details
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    verbatims are indeed the best media that you can get, i would like to know how fast you burned your discs at? also i have no issues you using DVDdecrepter but people here tend to recomened imgburn but thats just us you could also get FMCB installed to your PS2 free of charge by one of our volenteers, check my sig for details
    ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter are the same program, just DVD Decrypter is a much older version of ImgBurn.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter are the same program, just DVD Decrypter is a much older version of ImgBurn.
    ah ok then cheers for clearing that up Inferno, also would you mind changing my status on the FMCB thread to europe please?
    *Computer Specs*

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    ah ok then cheers for clearing that up Inferno, also would you mind changing my status on the FMCB thread to europe please?
    Done.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Done.
    cheers
    *Computer Specs*

Thanks

I burn my discs at 4x usually, but I also tried it at 2x. Got the same results both times, 2x just took longer.

Interestingly enough, I was able to get SNES Station (PS2 SNES emulator) to load after I burned it to a DVD. Apparently I did something wrong though because while the emulator loaded easily, it said I didn't have any roms or directories. *sigh* and that was my last DVD-R. I've now officially wasted an entire 10 pack of Verbatim DVD-R's.

Oh and I erroneously said I was using DVD Decryptor. That was what I used in the past, but now I use ImgBurn. But yea, they're basically the same which is why I got them mixed up.

Thanks Bennie. I'll look into the softmod idea also.
    Last edited by rapidfire187; 23rd-July-2011 at 20:05.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD+R would possibly get you beter results but from the sounds of your other thread your laser is in a very poor state PS2 CD media reading dead PS2 DVD media poor.

The only reason DVD Decypter changed to ImgBurn was copyright get arounds it had for Ripping DVD movies both work great for burning PS2 DVD's though.

FreeMC Boot might be worth installing just so when the laser packs in fully you have some use left for the PS2 while you can

FreeMC Boot will just make things easier to run from USB or your memstick or boot DVD+/-R directly without Swap Magic

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

That FreeMC Boot sounds great actually. I'll get my spare memory card back from my buddy in a few days and send it out to get it done. If I can boot games directly from a flash drive then it will help me out tremendously.

Thanks
    EP Points

just bare in mind that the usb slots are only 1.0 so there may be some reading lag but they should stil be playable
    *Computer Specs*

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To be honest the mod is so easy to do with SwapMagic just try it yourself but if you are, a bit of a um not sure I should be doing this then yeah let someone do it for you

Though if you have that installed and have it set to work with any model PS2 in your region you should be able to still use it if you buy another PS2 at some point

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Yea, I'm pretty sure that I could do it myself but I'm really strapped for cash so it'll be a while before I can get some more DVD-Rs. I'll probably try it using a CD-R but there's no telling how long I'll have to fight with the PS2 to make it read the Swap Magic CD. So I'll try it myself, but if it starts driving me insane I'll just have someone do it for me.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You could try and tune the laser pots but you have a very high chance of bicking your PS2 laser totally or even screw it up just getting to the pots that are not easy to get to

If you do go that way look for a video guide via youtube and watch it through a few times before you try

Personly I would shove it to one side save up and get a second hand PS2 that works
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-July-2011 at 08:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]