Thread: Sega Saturn Import Bugs

Thanks

Default Sega Saturn Import Bugs

Hey everyone. I just recently been going on a binge of buying older consoles. This past week I finally repurchased a Nintendo 64 (Watermellon Red with 007 for $60), Sega Genesis and Sega Saturn.

The Saturn just arrived today and I immediately wanted to play some backups and imports on the console. So far, the swap method works perfect for me. I have a Model 1 MK80000. Apparently mine is different from most. The power supply is on the lid of the console, and I have this TIIIIIINY switch that controls the lid sensor on the lid itself. Not your typical on-the-motherboard switch. So, I downloaded Croc (have it for PS but too lazy to look), and Metal Slug (J) from here and I'm having some issues. I converted Croc's region from E to U, and Metal Slug from J to U, but there are some bugs. Croc's head and other characters' heads are missing. It shows up here and there when moving, but only his eyes are usually visible. Same goes for the other characters. Metal Slug itself refuses to boot. It goes to the black Sega Logo, then just resets the console. Does have to do with not having a 1/4M Cartridge? I thought it wasn't required for that game.

Either way, any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Croc got worse. Not only was half his body missing, in the beginning of the game where you can drop down underground with the lava and whatnot, the lava itself was completely glitched out and flashing. Is this all because I changed the region or is it maybe just a bad burn? Except that and Metal Slug (resets console) everything else works great.
    Last edited by Jaws; 10th-July-2011 at 06:39.

Thanks
    EP Points

Naughty Jaws posting in the wrong part of the forum!

Anyway your issues could be anything really... Bad burn, Saturn not agreeing with your CD-Rs, performing the swap trick incorrectly, or the ISOs you downloaded in the first place being broken. That region patcher has a habit of screwing up ISOs too...

You know what I'd do? Either look into getting a modchip for the Saturn or just buy the game original, I'm sure Croc can be had for next to nothing anyway.

Does Metal Slug not require a RAM expansion cartridge? I'm positive it does.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you do region patch make sure to scan and repair the CD image via CD-Mage.. the last beta released of CD-Mage should be used

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Naughty Jaws posting in the wrong part of the forum!

Anyway your issues could be anything really... Bad burn, Saturn not agreeing with your CD-Rs, performing the swap trick incorrectly, or the ISOs you downloaded in the first place being broken. That region patcher has a habit of screwing up ISOs too...

You know what I'd do? Either look into getting a modchip for the Saturn or just buy the game original, I'm sure Croc can be had for next to nothing anyway.

Does Metal Slug not require a RAM expansion cartridge? I'm positive it does.
    I wasn't entirely too sure if it was supposed to be in general gaming or everything emulation, since I'm not really emulating anything.

I re-burned Croc and it seems to be okay, I didn't know patching could mess up the disc image, but it just seemed weird that the heads of character models were missing because of a bad burn. I'm using Verbatim discs that were made for lightscribe years ago, but they seem to be okay so far.

As for metal slug, I read in many places that the ram cartridge was necessary for the game to run better, but also read that it was required, so I have no idea, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    If you do region patch make sure to scan and repair the CD image via CD-Mage.. the last beta released of CD-Mage should be used
    I will do that from now on seeing that it's clearly a possibility.
    Last edited by Jaws; 11th-July-2011 at 23:28.