Thread: Nestopia 1.40 Emulator Won't Open!!

Thanks

Red face Nestopia 1.40 Emulator Won't Open!!

I just recently came across the highly-regarded Nestopia NES emulator recently and downloaded version 1.40 to my laptop, but was disappointed to find that it won't at all load when I attempt to launch it from my desktop! Each time I double-click the icon, an error message appears that reads:

"IDirect3D9::CreateDevice() failed! Try updating your video drivers!"

So I hastily searched online for the supposed "IDirect3D9" video driver upgrade over Microsoft's website(since I'm currently running on Windows 7), hoping to download it and solve my loading problem, but I just can't seem to find any section of the Internet that offers this program for download!

I'm really lost at this point and would LOVE to know what must be done in order to successfully run this emulator, any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You dont need "IDirect3D" you need the newest driver for your specific video card.

If you dont know what it is, go to (i assume, never used win7) start>run, type dxdiag and hit enter.
    This will bring up a window showing your system specs.

Click the "Display" tab, and see if Direct 3D is enabled.
    If its not, you need to update your video card driver, the name of which can be found in that tab as well.

Thanks

I checked under the "Display" tab located in the Control Panel and I couldn't locate any text box to enter "dxdiag" or a readout showing me if I currently have Direct 3D currently installed or not!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Win7 it's the windows logo to bring up the menu with all the progs on

there is a search text box down there, just type dxdiag there and hit enter

If for some reason the above does not work just go to C:\Windows\System32 dxdiag is in there

but I can tell you now you have the latest installed it comes pre-installed with win7 though dxdiag does show other usefull info about your sysetm
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-June-2011 at 13:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Alright, I did all that but I still can't find a way to upgrade my current version of DirectX(which happens to be "DirectX 11")to "IDirect3D9", that's supposedly required to run Nestopia.

Thanks
    EP Points

You actually have a more recent version of DirectX, so Nestopia probably needs updating. The last new version came out three years ago, which is before DirectX 11 was released. The emulator works fine for me, but I have Windows XP, which is stuck with DirectX 9.

Thanks

Then do you know if there is a way to downgrade these programs? Such as downgrading Windows 7 to Windows XP and DirectX 11 to DirectX 9?

The laptop that I'm currently using both came installed with the former of the two.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just update your windows using the update feature. Windows will automatically install the missing driver.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Direct X 9 is old and everything 9 runs 11 should like I said you have the latest
    Nestopia 1.40 runs fine with both Windows 7 (mine is the 64bit version) and the latest Direct X 11 on my laptop, I just downloaded and tested, the problem is with your Laptop setup

Anyway I would recomend using FCEUX instead asides from anything it was only last updated last year

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 8DXD8 View Post
    Then do you know if there is a way to downgrade these programs? Such as downgrading Windows 7 to Windows XP and DirectX 11 to DirectX 9?

The laptop that I'm currently using both came installed with the former of the two.
    No! you can't downgrade windows 7 to xp. you can install xp over windows 7 by format your active drive.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You could just dual boot it and have both XP and Windows 7 installed... you pick what you want to boot on startup

I realy would not reformat your laptop if it came with Windows 7, unlike Desktop PC's, Laptops can be a pain to find compatible drivers for older OS versions some hardware will just not have older drivers, basicly if you did you could end up being stuck with WinXP but no drivers for networking online graphics sound ect (unless you have a second PC to restore your laptop back or a restore disc... do not totally rely on a restore partition or other internal restore methods)

No point is going to XP realy this is not the issue as Nestopia is compatible with Windows7 and DirectX11, that and you might aswell use the newer emulator called FCEUX

P.S. If you did go to WinXP ect you will also have exactly the same issue, if updating your drivers does not help, that and IDirectX 9 is only part of Direct X not the whole thing and is compatibe with Direct X 11, so yet again not an issue with the Direct X version.. or your OS

Actually from your other thread I would say do a full system restore of Windows 7 when you come to setting up anitvirus software trash Norton and install the free version of Avast!, this is not only a very good free anti virus software you can also set it to gaming mode so you are not bugged while playing full screen with update notes and any other popups from the antivirus
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-June-2011 at 12:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tanwarmohit287
    Just update your windows using the update feature. Windows will automatically install the missing driver.
    And you can access this update prompt straight from your desktop, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon
    Do yourself a full system restore of Windows 7 when you come to setting up anitvirus software trash Norton and install the free version of Avast!, this is a very good free anti virus software.
    Alright, so how do I perform this "system restore" for Windows 7 exactly? And where do I go to look for all of the different versions of Norton that came preinstalled on my laptop and delete them

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

see other thread

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Alright, it appears as though simply installing necessary updates through Windows Update cleared up everything and now Nestopia's running just fine!

Who knew it would have been the simplest solution all along?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by 8DXD8 View Post
    Alright, it appears as though simply installing necessary updates through Windows Update cleared up everything and now Nestopia's running just fine!

Who knew it would have been the simplest solution all along?
    I did

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]