Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modchipped ps2 backwards comp. issue

Thanks

Default modchipped ps2 backwards comp. issue

hi guys this is my first post ever so bare with me.

i have a modchipped ps2 and i'm having issues while trying to play a castlevania symphony of sorrow (psx) back up.

before i describe the issue i have a matrix infinity modchip. and im using a ps2 slim.

when i insert the game cd and press play it goes straight to audio mode. so the ps2 thinks there is an audio cd in. also when i try the force ps1 setting, by pressing circle at start up, i get taken to browser mode. in browser mode it does recognize the game as a playstation 2 game, the cd looks blue now but when i click it the screen goes black fir a second then im back at the browser

any help with this? i havent played this game in way to long

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Im pretty sure a few of my unreadable PSX games go to audio mode. Maybe you had a bad burn and the disk is just unreadable.
    Many blue sided disks are harder for the PS2 to read because they are CD based games. (afaik)

Thanks

actually i downloaded the game and burned with alcohol when finished there were no errors according to program

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I recomend burning with ImgBurn at the slowest possible speed on good quality media

But before you burn again where did you get the CD image of Castlevania from and what format was the CD image in??

Did you do anything to the CD image before burning

You can also see if the CD works with ePSXe or another playstation emulator

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

i got it from demonoid it was an iso
    also i didn't do anything to the cd before or after the burn and i burned it on alcohol at 8x speed since it was slowest available
    since then i succesfullye burned adn played 2 other ps2 games. its jsut that single ps one game that wont work

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Any other PS one games??? I know not all PS2 mod chips can handle PS one games

If it was me I would test that CD with a PC psx emulator

Again I ask what format was the iso in bin cue ect... or was it an iso, just if it was just a plain *.iso file and the CD is being seen as a music CD it = mod chip can't read psone backups/PS2 can't read CD-R's (Usually Mod chip can't do PSone software though) (either the mod chip has 0 psone compat or it was not correctly installed)

There are softmod methods though that let you play PAL psx backups on a PS2

Just because you can play PS2 backups does not say PSone backups will also work

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

just a plain iso also i havent been interested in any ps1 games besides that one so no havent tried others. now the modchip i have matrix infinity is supposed to be able to read ps1 games. hell it even has an option to make it force read ps1 games.
    i guess ill have to get psx emulator and try it out.
    just hoping i can manage to get the emulator working this time

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

try a basic emu like pSX
    http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

just tried it on the emulator you linked me to and it works. gonna give my ps2 one last shot otherwise i know ill have to emulate to play this game

so while googling i found someone with exact same problem. mind giving this read through to see if you can figure out what they did to fix it cause i dont really understand what it is he changed
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=73411
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-June-2011 at 09:57.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

he fine tuned the CD pot, but personly I would advise against it as doing that can stop the PS2 CD laser pot from working at all plus they are hard to get to on the PS2

Basicly his PS2 was unable to read CD-R media at all, not that unusual

You could try installing FreeMC boot and the PSX Exploit and try using that to boot PSX CD's instead of trying to mess with the CD pot that can stop the laser from working at all if tuned too much either way and that can be such a small amount to blow the laser on the PS2 (older consoles never had that issue but the PS2 does)

giving the laser lense a clean may help though and atleast your not risking making your PS2 un-useable

I recomend you google PS2 laser pot tuning see if you can find some vids ect for your model PS2 before touching the laser pots and read up on it as much as possible, I will not recomend doing this but sometimes it's the only way

Or hack an xbox1 and play the game on that console via the PSX emu for xbox1 or just play it on a PC or PSP, depends what you own for the other ways to play Castlevania, the PSP has the best version of the game so far
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-June-2011 at 10:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    he fine tuned the CD pot, but personly I would advise against it as doing that can stop the PS2 CD laser pot from working at all plus they are hard to get to on the PS2

Basicly his PS2 was unable to read CD-R media at all, not that unusual

You could try installing FreeMC boot and the PSX Exploit and try using that to boot PSX CD's instead of trying to mess with the CD pot that can stop the laser from working at all if tuned too much either way and that can be such a small amount to blow the laser on the PS2 (older consoles never had that issue but the PS2 does)

giving the laser lense a clean may help though and atleast your not risking making your PS2 un-useable

I recomend you google PS2 laser pot tuning see if you can find some vids ect for your model PS2 before touching the laser pots and read up on it as much as possible, I will not recomend doing this but sometimes it's the only way

Or hack an xbox1 and play the game on that console via the PSX emu for xbox1 or just play it on a PC or PSP, depends what you own for the other ways to play Castlevania, the PSP has the best version of the game so far
    its as Zorlon said i can install FMCB for you if your from the UK or europe check the sig for details
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    EP Points

FMCB can't run psx games. He already have a modchip, FMCB is useless.

Boot the console with the lid open, when it prompts you to choose between system configuration and browser, close the lid with the PSX disc inside. That's how mine works.

EDIT: in case you are still wondering why FMCB is useless, the psx launcher DOES NOT launch an unreadable disc, it's for easy swap method, nothing else. The faulty PSX playback is a modchip issue, i could bet my ass it's a modbo 750
    Last edited by cOcO!; 9th-June-2011 at 18:50.

PAN!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Swop yep but was worth a try as it kinda avoids the initial read probs and is already in PSX mode when you pop in the CD-R

Therefore I wouldn't say usless at all

FMCB also fixes some mod chip issues for multi DVD games like XenoSaga 1 as not all mod chips support mid game disc changing

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Swop yep but was worth a try as it kinda avoids the initial read probs and is already in PSX mode when you pop in the CD-R

Therefore I wouldn't say usless at all
    I thought it was not possible to put the console in PSX mode through an ELF file since to run that ELF it MUST be in PS2 mode.

FMCB also fixes some mod chip issues for multi DVD games like XenoSaga 1 as not all mod chips support mid game disc changing
    This might be true. But we are talking about PSX games. And psx multi disc games are supported by MI and it's clones.

PAN!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by cOcO! View Post
    I thought it was not possible to put the console in PSX mode through an ELF file since to run that ELF it MUST be in PS2 mode.
    How do you think it works then

Quote Originally Posted by cOcO! View Post
    This might be true. But we are talking about PSX games. And psx multi disc games are supported by MI and it's clones.
    Never said it was I was just pointing out another advantage

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]