Thread: Specs for emulating Gamecube/Wii and Dreamcast?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Specs for emulating Gamecube/Wii and Dreamcast?

Hello lovely people.
    I was wondering... I haven't updated my PC in forever and, given I can't run SSF on the smoothest or have all options of epsxe at max, I think it's time to do so.
    (I can fully run any PS1/Saturn/N64 game and it'll look pretty good but it suffers some slowdown if I use smooth rendering, rather than the native one. Otherwise works perfectly.)
    What would be the recommended specs to be able to emulate Dreamcast/Gamecube/Wii?

And how good are the emulators?

Any response would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 12th-June-2011 at 17:14. Reason: DERPY DERP DERP

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So you cannot run PS games, but want to run higher end ones?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    So you cannot run PS games, but want to run higher end ones?
    Derp.
    I'll edit the post.
    Also yes, thus why I ask what should I upgrade to.
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 12th-June-2011 at 17:15.

Thanks
    EP Points

Moved to a more appropriate forum.

Thanks
    EP Points

This + Google should be somewhat helpful.

Most importantly, though, you'll need a pretty damn good CPU for GC/Wii emulation, at least a good dual-core. Many games will run okay-ish on an average CPU, but if you want to run everything at full speed, including some of the more demanding Wii titles, 3GHz or more is a must.

The emulator itself for GC and Wii is really good, by the way. It runs countless games near-perfectly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To be honest I would just buy a Dreamcast, all PAL models can play CD-R (selfboot) games without a mod chip and sellected NTSC/U models can aswell

Although Dreamcast emulation is not that bad it is not perfect either, infact a number of games won't even boot up, personly I use emulation more for testing than anything else.

Wii... if you can get an older model they are easy enough to hack (I say older aswell because the DVD drive can handle DVD-+R media beter than new versions) but if you only play wii software then any would do as games can be played via a HDD

Wii emulation is not perfect either, that and you would be atleast will want to bying a Wii controller plus sensor bar for most the Wii side of gaming, GameCube side you can get away with a number of normal controllers (playing wii games with wiimote features without an actual Wii controller kinda kills the exp of the wii)

It's up to you realy though...

Dreamcast is far too sexy a console to pass up on I run mine via VGA with apx 300 english games (Not that many games but there wasn't alot released on Dreamcast but most are quality games, unlike some of the consoles that had 1000+ games that a rather small amount are that great)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-June-2011 at 15:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

You don't necessarily need to buy an actual Wiimote, though, Dolphin can emulate it. Certian movements/shakes can also be configured to a single button. And your mouse can emulate the pointer.

Plus, if the game supports the Classic Controller, a regular gamepad is more than enough.

But as Zorlon said, it's up to you. Getting the actual consoles is always an option.