Quote Originally Posted by jxmx View Post
Hey guys .. hoping for some help here. Ive done nes and snes repros and making the jump to sega, running into a bit of a speed bump im sure im just missing something somewhere. the tutorial is pretty simple to follow. i have my GQ-4x with the ADP-054, and using ST m27c160-100 eproms ... Roms seem to burn fine (Read and Verify all 100%, no errors) i have a few games i want to do, but the 2 i tried were wily wars and zero wing. Wily Wars was patched (headers removed) with the s-ram fix plays fine at 60hz with the "fusion emulator" (however it does say checksum error) zero wing the same (headers removed, ntsc patched, plays it at 60hz) (also has the checksum error tho) seems all good. i found a ton of "NFL Football '94 Starring Joe Montana" carts. board has a battery and a few extra chips which i assume is s-ram? down loaded the joe rom and it says that it is 2048. so i assume the board will support 2MB. i thought i should be good to go. took my wily wars and zero wing (both in .bin format) burned with my programmer all seemed good. soldered to the board eprom going left.... and they both boot to black screens .. nothing... i tried with my sega2 with 32x attachment, just the sega 2 and a sega 3 all black screens.

so i guess my questions are
1. does the rom in .bin format need to not have the checksum error when tested with fusion (i didnt think so, i had no prob with translated snes's with checksum errors) however this is sega so it might be different. if so how is that fixed ?
2. are my NFL Football '94 Starring Joe Montana boards usable with my m27c160s? does it support 2MB and have S-ram on it.
3. do sega rom need to fill the eprom ? like zero wing is only 1MB so i just doubled it up to 2MB in my HEX editor. did i even need to do that ? i saw somewhere that you dont have to but i didnt think it would hurt.
4. from what i understand in the tutorial if the board is 2MB and your eproms are 2MB .. there is no need for any rewiring ?

im sure its something little im missing, and there are a few other things i was gonna test like seeing if i can burn the joe rom to the eprom and putting it back on the board and see if it works.
any help or info would be appreciated. Thanx guys.
Sorry I missed your post.
1. No, some systems have an internal BIOS which checks the checksum byte in the header (gameboy for example) but Genny does not do this.
2. If the Mask-ROM (original ROM) was 2MB, then it will support a 2MB EPROM without rewiring.
3. No, they do not need to be filled, but you must make sure you do not leave any address pins unconnected. You can do it if you want to though.
4. correct.
Quote Originally Posted by jxmx View Post
ahhhhhhh byteswap
Did that fix it for you? It is the easiest to miss, but must be done with all EPROMs taht have a UV window. If it is a flash ROM, then you do not Byte swap.

Quote Originally Posted by xIceMan View Post
Just wanted to say that Oh Mummy is working now. The problem lies within their boot code (might be a different version for the game that's being sold). Either way, using a game genie and then starting the game somewhat bypasses the BIOS and the game works. This method might work with other protected games, too.
Cool! I don't have a GameGenie to test something like that out on, but this reminds me of something... The Bubble Bobble game required a byte to be modified before it ran on real hardware. I should locate that old info and find out if the same fix can be applied to Oh Mummy.