Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blocking Minecraft

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

aye thats quite high on my list of possible things to do, just hope the new router we got from the ISP wont be bitchy about it, the belkin was that i had before this Tilgin

Thanks
    EP Points

He'll probably get bored of it anyway. My sisters and I were total computer/ video game hermits as kids. We used to play right up until the bus came to the front of the house. I've had a few minor scrapes with the law due to wardialing/ stealing bandwidth, etc. All in all, it didn't make any of us anti-social nor was it a bad thing. Both of them are top-notch nurses at local hospitals here and I just graduated for computer sciences from college. My dad used to come in all shitfaced and be like go outside and blow the stink off yadda yadda yadda, which we did, but in the end, if you ban him from a game, he will find other games to fill their place. Be happy that he's not out killing small animals and whatnot.

*EDIT* We were so addicted to Warcraft 2 and Starcraft 1 that we actually "borrowed" my moms credit card and would sign up for a new ISP every month for a free 1 month trial then cancel at the end of the month. She still has no Idea to this day. Can you honestly remember your first video game addiction? Not trying to be a dick, only I think that perhaps you have forgotten what it is like to be a kid and find something new and exciting that inspires you and draws your attention. Again, I mean no offence by anything I say.
    Last edited by Mailmann006; 14th-May-2011 at 22:40.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mailmann006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mailmann006 View Post
    He'll probably get bored of it anyway. My sisters and I were total computer/ video game hermits as kids. We used to play right up until the bus came to the front of the house. I've had a few minor scrapes with the law due to wardialing/ stealing bandwidth, etc. All in all, it didn't make any of us anti-social nor was it a bad thing. Both of them are top-notch nurses at local hospitals here and I just graduated for computer sciences from college. My dad used to come in all shitfaced and be like go outside and blow the stink off yadda yadda yadda, which we did, but in the end, if you ban him from a game, he will find other games to fill their place. Be happy that he's not out killing small animals and whatnot.

*EDIT* We were so addicted to Warcraft 2 and Starcraft 1 that we actually "borrowed" my moms credit card and would sign up for a new ISP every month for a free 1 month trial then cancel at the end of the month. She still has no Idea to this day. Can you honestly remember your first video game addiction? Not trying to be a dick, only I think that perhaps you have forgotten what it is like to be a kid and find something new and exciting that inspires you and draws your attention. Again, I mean no offence by anything I say.
    You make a good case, and I know I've been so much into gaming I've let that screw up my personal life. While I don't wish that on anyone else (well, there are a FEW people that could do with it...), I am now a healthy gaming addict who can make time for his studies. So as to be able to keep gaming later.

In all seriousness though - I understand what you're saying here. Though your example is also an extreme in and of itself. Admittedly, I never was much of an online gamer, so perhaps I just have my own, just as extreme, experiences in a different way. Still, if it's going so far that the kid has to be thrown out to go to school, something is somewhat off, if nothing else.

I would go with the time-blocker option for the router myself Kouen. Tell him that he's going well overboard with it, and that he should at least limit himself somewhat. He'll not like it, but it might be the best way. Alternatively, he'll find his own way to circumvent it. Remember - kids know as much if not more about your system as you do these days

Hope you can get it sorted, but remember - while the child appears to have gone to extremes, don't do the same yourself. Be reasonable. Discuss things with him, don't lose your temper, and try to work out a solution that's satisfactory to you all. Only if all else fails, resort to draconian measures.

...hang on, Minecraft? Oh bugger it, Mojang is a subsidiary of Robotnik Corp. I designed it to be addictive and added subliminal messaging to take over the world! KEEP PLAYING IT! YOU START TOO!

*cough*

Carry on.

Thanks
    EP Points

im addicted to a combination of anime and games... when i run out of one or get bored of one i switch to the other... currently anime marathons non stop (i watched 4 complete series of 24-48 episodes each this week alone)

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I wanted to say that he will burn out on MC like I did, but now that I think about it, my sister has not....
    Cola has the best and most practical solution (glares at some of the others...)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I Notice some are thinking me a dickhead or that I cannot remember my 1st gaming addiction, its quite teh opposite I do very well remember. Im an Ex-WoW player that should be enough but since im not giving you guys every little detail here you should maybe go out on a limb here and assume its worse than what im stating.

I Ruined my life playing more games and less studying I want better for that kid. when the kid is refusing to even take a shower because he "too Busy" minecrafting, or "too busy" to join the rest for a Family bbq or other family activity's without him yelling and shouting about it. I have to draw the line.

Supreme Warrior Guest

You have peerblock?

That blocks minecrafts ip address.

Edit: well it did, I Think you can add ips to the blocked list though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Minecraft is overrated, I have played a few hours of it at a friends and I liked it, but I don't see anything really addictive about it. Of course, its been maybe 4 months, and maybe I wasn't in the mood to play it, but yeah I got bored of it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Warrior View Post
    You have peerblock?

That blocks minecrafts ip address.

Edit: well it did, I Think you can add ips to the blocked list though.
    Well I think ill be restricting when his computers internet will be enabled around the times he should be doing shit other than minecraft

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kouen View Post
    I Notice some are thinking me a dickhead or that I cannot remember my 1st gaming addiction, its quite teh opposite I do very well remember. Im an Ex-WoW player that should be enough but since im not giving you guys every little detail here you should maybe go out on a limb here and assume its worse than what im stating.

I Ruined my life playing more games and less studying I want better for that kid. when the kid is refusing to even take a shower because he "too Busy" minecrafting, or "too busy" to join the rest for a Family bbq or other family activity's without him yelling and shouting about it. I have to draw the line.
    I certainly didn't intend to give the impression that I thought you should consider your kid's position as well because you've done the same, blah blah etc. I usually just try to provide a point from every point of view. I agree with your points, to be honest. Go with it.

Thanks
    EP Points

To actually answer the question:

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthr...ning-%28All%29

In your case you will be blocking "minecraft.exe" AND "minecraft.jar"

You may be able to do it with Data Execution Prevention as well, but it's been a while since I've tinkered with that

EDIT - To try and clear up that horrible, horrible engrish, your registery should look like this. You can create the explorer key if it is not already there:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10551451/Screenshot-1.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10551451/Screenshot.png

Also, you can do this in HKEY Local Machine if you want to make it a global setting and not just the current user.
    Last edited by Panda Man; 15th-May-2011 at 15:42.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Panda Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's a parents prerogative to decide when enough's enough. I don't think it makes you a dick at all. In fact I think being concerned makes you the opposite. I wish somebody made me go outside or socialize more. That's why I bought myself a dog. At least now there's something that gets me out of the house and walking around a couple of times a day.

Thanks

Well I never thought you a "dickhead" if I gave that impression, I merely wanted clarity on the "forced" aspect of your original post, which you gave. That could have just been choice wording on your part, or as you clarified it was actually a situation where he literally had to be dragged away from the game to do anything.. Clarity always helps when it comes to situations as these. As far as advice goes though, I stand by what I said earlier - find him a new hobby or hobbies. Something creative but also something that's easy to monitor.

Panda's advice will solve the issue of blocking Minecraft, but you're still going to need to deal with his disconnect from the game after that.. It's going to be (for lack of a better analogy) taking crack from a crack addict. Taking it away cold turkey is going to upset the kid pretty badly, cause resentment, probably make it even harder to get him to do his work for awhile.. Finding a better hobby for him that you can more easily control and he's less likely to obsess over would do wonders in this situation I feel.

Thanks
    EP Points

fyi he could just do it current user then set up another account that can be only logged in for say, 2 hours a day to play minecraft Just make sure his accounts don't have admin permissions.

Thanks

I had never heard of minecraft before. I just watched a video about it. It actually looks pretty neat. Ya know what my dad used to do when I was young which might kind of be a compromise for you? He set time limits on my gaming. Like I was allowed an hour an weekdays and three hours on weekends. Which I never thought I would ever hear myself supporting. But in all honesty I think it was for the best. When I was living under his roof I certainly was a more well rounded person. Actually went outside and did things. Got decent grades in school and so forth. Maybe discuss it with your gf and set limits. I know its really none of my business but I think everybody wins in that scenario