Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can a soft modded wii play burned games from a dvd-r?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-May-2011 at 17:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

ok i got it done now i want to test it, how do i rip one of my wii games to an iso. IMGBurn?

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    ok i got it done now i want to test it, how do i rip one of my wii games to an iso. IMGBurn?
    No, you have to use a Wii drive to read Wii games.

Thanks
    EP Points

seriously?... ok then what channel do i need and can any memorystick thats bigger than the wii game be used?

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    seriously?... ok then what channel do i need and can any memorystick thats bigger than the wii game be used?
    Get yourself WBFS Manager like Zorlon posted and format a USB to WBFS. Then install USB Loader GX as a channel, or just run it from the HBC. (depending on which one you find, they are the same.)

Stick the Formatted drive into the USB slot Closest to the outside of the Wii
    Load USB Loarder GX and when it pulls up the menu after finding your stick, insert your game. It should ask if you want ti ripped to the HDD. "yes"

With that you should be able to play it from the stick or put it into your computer and with WBFS manager, copy it to your computers hard drive.
    Then you can burn it with ImgBurn.

Thanks
    EP Points

good too know, i should buy a larger memory stick... but i got it working other than copying thanks alot guys!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Like Solbadude said, Neogamma is the way to go for playing burned Wii games.
    If you want to play GC games, you will have to install cmios rev5 (or which ever the newest is)
    This video has a link for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkiODT2MCM
    I'm going to say Uloader is better. Neo has some sound issues, via low quality for me.
    although you should get both. Get the Uloader Wad so you can update it via wi-fi. I prefer Uloader, but Neo can do things Uloader can't. for example, Neo has unlimited code lines/numbers you can put in, but Uloader has a cap, so Brawl +/- PM won't load with Uloader

with a wii, you can played burnt Gamecube Games too.

Thanks
    EP Points

so... i shouldn't just use the disc loader that got installed through maulfrogs tutorial?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There should be nothing wrong with it. I just prefer Neogamma and Lizard prefers ULoader.
    Personally, I say get rid of all DVDs, and go HDD exclusively.

Thanks
    EP Points

There should be nothing wrong with it. I just prefer Neogamma and Lizard prefers ULoader.
    Ya I have to agree with this. Me personally have only ever soft-modded and played via burnt dvd's however I have a friend that did the same for a while and eventually moved to external hdd and never looked back. Never having to worry about scratched disc's, or losing one, or any number of things. Plus there's the extremely useful benefit of say, knowing someone else that has the same setup. You suddenly can swap all of your games in a matter of 1/2 hour to an hour, leaving with tons of new games you don't have to go wade through MU, HF or any number of other download site links. If you can, you should go with a usb hdd to play your games!

Thanks
    EP Points

well i dont really see the difference yet i guess, also i dont like the idea of having a portable hardrive stuck into the wii while playing, if it was internal sure but otherwise no

also how do i install extra channels other than those installed through the maulfrog tutorial?

Thanks
    EP Points

WAD manager...

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are many iso rippers out there and it can be done to your SD card in parts or via WiFi but this is by far the slowest method and it's not that reliable either from what I did test way back, there may be more reliable software out there but it will still be slow, even if you just use a USB stick temp and install USB Loader GX that can load DVD-R/+R's aswell now by the way.

Anyway installing an original directly to a HDD/USB Stick then hooking the same HDD/USB Stick to your PC and copy it over via a WBFS Manager.

The Wii has no internal HDD just Nand Memory, personly my Wii is sat on top of a 300GB External (Thats it's only use though) an HDD loader has a higher compat rate aswell as far as lag goes it has none but DVD-R/+R has lag in alot of games, this has nothing to do with loaders and more to do with the drive reading -R/+R slower than retail DVD's.

But if DVD-R/+R is prefured or is more affordable for now I can't argue that. HDD is cheaper in the long run (games that can be trimmed are automaticly) but can be ripper from the HDD to full size ISO's to make burns beter

Basicly even if you are not planning on playing from HDD (That is very much recomended to save drive strain and higher compat) you can still use USB Loader GX to make rips of your Originals

HDD Pro's
    • Lower load times/No lag
    • Save Drive strain
    • Great sexy gui
    • Backups of Originals made easy
    • DVD loading available if needed (Handy for games that can't be ran from USB)
    • Any Special Fixes are remembered

HDD Con's
    • USB Device attached (If you call that a con)
    • Multi Game DVD's need seperate dols for each game on disc loaded seperate
    • No GC support yet
    • Not 100% compatable (there are game know not to work)

DVD Pros
    • Run the same as Originals (Not realy a loader is needed unless you hack the disc channel directly. I did.)
    • No extra hardware connected
    • Out of the very few that won't work from USB can be run via DVD

DVD Con's
    • DRE errors/random crashes due to lower reading speed
    • Mild to Heavy lag (Low DVD-R/+R reading) [Some games still run full speed]
    • DVD drive strain reading DVD-R/+R Media
    • For games that need fixes you need to rememebr what those are/turn on and off between games

I'm sure I am missing stuff from the Pro's and Con's but I got the basics up there
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-May-2011 at 19:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Talking

Hey! i haven't seen you post in forever Zorlon.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

LOL been active again for over a year now mostly in Everything Emulation but I always did settle down in this section, had a bit of a break because I moved home and had to get a new phone line in again... Oh yeah also needed to replace my laptop aswell

I'm back full time again...

On subject

I know I said I hacked the official disc channel, although it seems cool to do that (It is ) it's still not as compatible as other Disc loaders so not realy advised..

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]