Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: what does everyone miss about the old days of gaming?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    My NES is still running wonderfully, 20 years later.
    Kind of wish I hadn't sold off most of my collection to pay for baby stuffs. It was getting pretty fuckhuge, I have to admit. My NES still gets the most play out of all the systems in my house (PSX, PS3, SNES, Genesis, N64, Gamecube, and plethora of handhelds). I boot it up about three times a week, minimum.

I agree, though, platformers were the shit. I've never had more fun than I do playing old-school platformer games. I don't know why, because while the worlds and enemies and whatnot could change, everything else was very formulaic. Run, jump, attack, die, repeat until you can beat the level without getting hit or dying. Onto the next level.

Then again, some of them were also so difficult that it's become a point of pride to attempt to beat them, now. Like Battletoads, and Ninja Gaiden. And Shadow of the Ninja, although I haven't dedicated nearly enough time to that one to actually figure out just how difficult it is. And the original three Castlevania's -- although, to be honest, I haven't given Simon's Quest too much attention, because I just can't quite get into it. But it took me damn close to 15 years to beat Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and when I did I was oh-so-proud. (Fucking Medusa Heads)
    I remember hating them also in the previous 3 Castlevania games, especially in the NES Castlevania. I don't know why, but they always appears to hit me where the pitfall is, until now. But I finished it 3 times already and I'm pretty darn proud on it.

My wai-fu, among many other wai-fu, and they are my current favorite. What? Too nerdy? Well, I think it is.
    The Four Eyed Squire LP channel.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ramzaruglia View Post
    I remember hating them also in the previous 3 Castlevania games, especially in the NES Castlevania. I don't know why, but they always appears to hit me where the pitfall is, until now. But I finished it 3 times already and I'm pretty darn proud on it.
    I find that, depending on my character, I either get really good at dodging them or hitting them, or I completely forget they are there, flail around like an idiot, and get buttfucked. The main reason it took me so long to beat Castlevania III was because I kept forgetting where they would come out in one of the later levels, and they would destroy most of my health right before getting to the boss.

Thanks

medusa heads are easy =P they always follow the same pattern and once you get the rhythm they're easy =P

too bad i don't have the original NES castlevanias but i am looking out for them, gonna buy them as soon as i can.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deathzero021 View Post
    medusa heads are easy =P they always follow the same pattern and once you get the rhythm they're easy =P

too bad i don't have the original NES castlevanias but i am looking out for them, gonna buy them as soon as i can.
    Once I get towards the end of the game I start rushing myself too much, and forget about them.
    And I have the first three. Complete in box, too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I miss the simplicity of getting wrapped in shear creative gameplay instead of graphic design (which is also very nice to have) but I also miss the arcades where you could hang out among other kids with a pocket full of change. I would honestly take a community of real hardcore gamers competing in single and two-player games than an xbox live full of little immature kids, talking what ever smack they learned in middle school while playing a multiplayer game (mostly COD) any day.

Thanks

I miss the simplicity of getting wrapped in shear creative gameplay instead of graphic design (which is also very nice to have) but I also miss the arcades where you could hang out among other kids with a pocket full of change. I would honestly take a community of real hardcore gamers competing in single and two-player games than an xbox live full of little immature kids, talking what ever smack they learned in middle school while playing a multiplayer game (mostly COD) any day.
    agreed
    that's why i like DDR so much, tons of fun and friendly competition at the arcades.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I really want to boot those games up now. Hmm. I should see if I can get my NES hooked up through my EasyCAP for some LP works. NES GAMES WITHOUT SAVE STATES, BITCHES! (I'm looking at you, Ray. )
    Hey, I could probably beat battletoads without savestates.

Provided I end up using all the warp points and/or the infinite lives glitch.

Thanks

lol well some games are just more enjoyable with save states. i think ALL NES games should have had at the very least, a password system, i hate spending 2 hours getting far into a game, then seeing the GAME OVER screen and having to start all the way in the beginning... makes me wonder just what the hell they were thinking lol.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post

I've actually contemplated dedicating a shitload of time to it and trying to beat it without warps or cheats. Not sure if I have enough time in the year, though, to be that masochistic.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Electrona View Post
    Wow! Thank you for reminding me that. I remember back then that there was a KOF Arcade Tournament in a mall at one point, and I won it, I was so lucky, I got even a threat from a fellow player who I destroyed in game....

But overall, that experience was fun.

My wai-fu, among many other wai-fu, and they are my current favorite. What? Too nerdy? Well, I think it is.
    The Four Eyed Squire LP channel.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Electrona View Post
    ^this

Also, games today have just become about DLC and earning trophies and shit. DLC is, IMHO, the worst thing to happen to the gaming industry since the merger of Square and Enix. And earning trophies is just a complete waste of time... time that would be better spent actually enjoying a game. Really, most of the new games just aren't fun for me, they feel too much like work.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by KajDarkwind View Post
    Also, games today have just become about DLC and earning trophies and shit. DLC is, IMHO, the worst thing to happen to the gaming industry since the merger of Square and Enix. And earning trophies is just a complete waste of time... time that would be better spent actually enjoying a game. Really, most of the new games just aren't fun for me, they feel too much like work.

Feels too much like being babysat. I personally don't enjoy DLC at all. Trophies I don't have as much of a problem with, but they still don't add too much to the game in my opinion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by KajDarkwind View Post
    DLC is, IMHO, the worst thing to happen to the gaming industry
    Expansion packs, special editions, half assed sequels, and re-releases with extra content. Shit's been EVERYWHERE. And it provided no more content than that 5-10 dollar DLC (which is considerably cheaper than a 30 to 60 dollar re-release with an added episode/character). Which is to say nothing of the fact that it it completely optional!

since the merger of Square and Enix.
    Square and Enix were great companies in their own rites. And they were steadily going downhill before the merger even started. If anything the merge temporarily improved the quality of both of their games (EG: FM4/5 & FFXII)

And earning trophies is just a complete waste of time... time that would be better spent actually enjoying a game. Really, most of the new games just aren't fun for me, they feel too much like work.
    Optional. Plus they're generally tied to simply completing the game or completing additional bits of the game. They're just completionist tokens or a way to chart progress. Don't hate them just because they can be poorly implemented.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I find people who hate on an optional add-on through virtue of it being an optional product to be silly, silly people.

Hate it because it's (on a case-by-case basis) terrible and shit or doesn't add anything, sure. Even if people don't agree with you on that, it can at least till be a decent opinion. Don't hate it because it's there and it exists. That's ass stupid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ivolt View Post
    I find people who hate on an optional add-on through virtue of it being an optional product to be silly, silly people.

Hate it because it's (on a case-by-case basis) terrible and shit or doesn't add anything, sure. Even if people don't agree with you on that, it can at least till be a decent opinion. Don't hate it because it's there and it exists. That's ass stupid.
    Hating developers for providing content that there's a market for and that they can make profit from, and feeling that they shouldn't be allowed to do so. When there's plenty of people who will happily shell out cash for said content, and when some of the content is actually good, can fix bits of the main game, can add to the story, or can even take the place of a sequel.

Gamers clearly hate capitalism.