Thread: DS flash card.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default DS flash card.

Okay so i get my DS tomorrow or on the weekend.
    Now i want a Flash card so i can play GBA Games and NDS Games, i read that the DSlinker doesnt do this, is that right?
    What card should i be looking for?

Edit: can we also get some sort of sticky like we had for the PSP?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

If you want to run GBA games, the DSLinker is not a good option. Anyways, we have a review here: http://www.emuparadise.org/reviews/DSLinker/
    You'll find he best compatibility for GBA games in the slot2 flash carts. I have a M3 Perfect Micro SD and it works great for both GBA & NDS games. If you decide you want a slot2 solution, you'll need a passkey and a SD/CF card. That's all you need, and the compatibility is simply great, you can check it for yourself.

Another good option but without GBA compatibility since it's a slot1 card is the R4, some of our members already have it and they've shared their experience with us: http://www.epforums.org/my-experienc...067/index.html

And yeah, if there's enough interest we could have a sticky. If I have some time I'll try to post some useful links later.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 18th-June-2007 at 09:43.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    If you want to run GBA games, the DSLinker is not a good option. Anyways, we have a review here: http://www.emuparadise.org/reviews/DSLinker/
    You'll find he best compatibility for GBA games in the slot2 flash carts. I have a M3 Perfect Micro SD and it works great for both GBA & NDS games. If you decide you want a slot2 solution, you'll need a passkey and a SD/CF card. That's all you need, and the compatibility is simply great, you can check it for yourself.

Another good option but without GBA compatibility since it's a slot1 card is the R4, some of our members already have it and they've shared their experience with us: http://www.epforums.org/my-experienc...067/index.html

And yeah, if there's enough interest we could have a sticky. If I have some time I'll try to post some useful links later.
    *woosh* That went right over my head.
    You have confused me even more :X

Heres the G O, i have a PSP it plays GBA games, thats pretty much all i use it for, if i can get away with a DS playing GBA games, i will sell my PSP, but i would much rather be playing DS games that run very well, then playing sub par games just so i can play sub par GBA games.

http://www.r4ds.biz/au/index.html
    Like that only has slot1, and i dont knwo what the fuck slot2 is =/

Edit: Ive read what people have said, it seems pretty good from what they are saying, i think you lost me with the compat list.

Main thing is if i can play DS games for free i will be happy.
    Last edited by Jase; 18th-June-2007 at 11:07.

Thanks
    EP Points

Jase. Listen

If you want to play both GBA and DS games on your Nintendo DS flashcart, you will need a SLOT-2 flashcart that supports both types of games. SLOT-2 flashcarts means that the flashcarts go into the slot for GBA cartridges on your Nintendo DS (the bottom slot for GBA carts). One of the best flashcarts for both DS and GBA games is the M3 Lite and the older, bigger M3 Mini SD. It plays both GBA and DS games pretty much flawlessly. There are no SLOT-1 flashcarts that support playing GBA games at the moment (likely, it won't ever happen).

The R4DS you linked to is a SLOT-1 cart that plays all Nintendo DS games for free -- but not GBA games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Meh all i can find is slot 1 local, cant be fucked waiting for an oversea's.

Its down to:
    http://www.oztion.com.au/-M3-DS-Simp...n/2109270.aspx
    or
    http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item...itemid=2090112

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
    Sounds like a good idea to me, there has been a few threads asking about flash cards and what to get, either for best compat, best price all round or even the type of cards to go for

...Jase this is one section I like to keep bad language out of, not as if it's such a big thing, but please try not to in this little section.

P.S. yeah the R4 is one great card, I also use it combined with a M3 Lite in my GBA port (slot 2)... there isn't much I can't run
    The R4 even acts as a Passme and the M3 Lite can change from NDS mode to GBA so the only reason you would need to remove the carts is to change/update micro sd software
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-June-2007 at 11:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Meh all i can find is slot 1 local, cant be fucked waiting for an oversea's.

Its down to:
    http://www.oztion.com.au/-M3-DS-Simp...n/2109270.aspx
    or
    http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item...itemid=2090112
    You can buy the one you think looks nicest. M3 Simply and R4DS are identical to each other. They're even produced at the same place. The only different thing is the name. Kernel, compatibility is the same on both of them. When it comes to kernel updates, The R4DS website has them a couple of days before the M3 Simply website though. Both are the same, and both have the top of compatibility when it comes to playing DS games.

Thanks

I have one question. Is there an M3 slot-2 card that is made for an original NDS (mine is one of the first models with version 1 firmware) and can you give me a link to it along with a passme (for dumping my own NDS roms since that's about the only thing I can think of using to do this with the current homebrew I've seen)?
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

Thanks

ok well the best slot 1 in my opinion is the g6 real that has just come out.

its the best slot 1 thats easiest to use period. this one will go in your ds top slot.

best slot2 for gba games along with the option to play DS games THAT will fit in a ds lite perfectly as if it were the filler cartridge would be the g6 lite (i personnally use mine for gba games only although some use it for both)

there are others but thier my favs and the best designed in my opinion for more reviews check www.gbatemp.net

i buy from www.realhotstuff.com cause thier in NJ so shipping is cheap and efficient since well i live in NJ other places like www.kicktrading.ca or www.gamersection.ca are good places for canadians and Americans being that its based in Canada. otherwise a good overseas place would be www.gameyeeeah.com

when it comes to anything handheld its sort of my specialty so if you have any questions feel free to pm me
    Last edited by bolton02; 25th-June-2007 at 01:00. Reason: fixing type o's

Thanks

What I really want to see are flash cards that act like a real game cartriage when you load it by loading the game you choose to auto load when you boot the card. This would save a lot of time for people that play the same game a lot so you don't have to go through the menu everytime. A push button combo could be added to load the menu at any time as well so that you can change the settings or choose a different game to auto load the next time. This goes for both GBA and NDS flash cards. The R4 still does a nice job but I'm one to enjoy using my DS as if I was using the real cartriage. This might also work for NDS games that have special features if you have a curtain game in the GBA slot or for the new Pokemon games to load your Pokemon from rom saves on a GBA flash card.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

The end of the world as we know it. Strangely, I feel fine.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bolton02 View Post
    ok well the best slot 1 in my opinion is the g6 real that has just come out.

its the best slot 1 thats easiest to use period. this one will go in your ds top slot.
    Do you, uh, have any others? Because most people who say that, I've noticed, seem to just want to justify their enormous purchase, when a r4/m3 (Same piece of hardware) is cheaper, and still holds plenty of games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    Do you, uh, have any others? Because most people who say that, I've noticed, seem to just want to justify their enormous purchase, when a r4/m3 (Same piece of hardware) is cheaper, and still holds plenty of games.
    The G6 Real is a very good flashcart as well, with great compatibility -- similar to M3 Simply/R4. It's a very good cart. The difference however, is that the G6 has Built-in flash memory, meaning that you do not have to buy a separate microSD memory card. Of course, this makes it more expensive. But still, a very, very good cart

Thanks

Although it's nice that it's memory is built-in it only means that if it ever wares out that just means you have to buy a brand new G6 where as with the R4 or M3 you just have to get a new microSD card.
    Haldrie's World
    (My official web site.)

My YouTube Channel

The end of the world as we know it. Strangely, I feel fine.
    Thanks

Not to mention that you really don't need more than a gig. That's a damned lot of games, right there. Besides, the cheapest place to get an r4 is dealextreme, which has a package with the kingston sd card, so you still don't need to buy anything seperately.