Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Gathering information as to what not to use for converting PSX images

Magic ISO
    ISO Magic
    Ultra ISO

To name a few that will mess up PSX CD images through converting.

I need to add to this, I don't remember the other progs like those off the top of my head.

Basicly I want to add some new guides or just edit one of the guides I have up to include this information and other converting methods that can be used.

other methods as in the mount and create a fresh cd image with other burning software, I'll prolly just edit my ISObuster guide and index it, could also link in the alcohol methods aswell I spose
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-January-2007 at 16:56.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I would recommend that you ONLY convert images if you HAVE to. ePSXe will basicly play all the image files. Alcohol will also burn most image files as well. I don't really see the full need for converting images to other types of images.

Thanks
    EP Points

Recommened way of converting disc images: (Software: Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%)
    Mount the disc image on Daemon, then in Alcohol 120% select the virtual drive, select data type: "Playstation 1", select the disc image type you want, then start.

Thanks

i dun like nero so perhaps a recommendation to stay away from it would be beneficial to some noob.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nero works just fine (though nrg's are not ideal, but burning is great), I'll be going through lots of methods leaving the user to choose whatever method they feel ok with.

Alcohol I tend to keep clear of but we have a guide up for that anyway, like I said, would need a little adding to.

As I asked I'm realy only looking for software to keep clear of that kills PSX images through converting like the examples I already gave, I will be looking into burning software though that I have never used myself so I will be looking for help with that aswell maybe.

The guide will prolly get layed out like....
    • Software not to use for converting CD images
    • Software guides for converting CD images (free methods) isobuster, cdrwin & discjuggler, there free versions can be used without a trial running out
    • Software guides for converting CD images (payed methods) averything else
    • Burning Guides with free software
    • Burning Guides for everything, using lots of different software, this is to cover the software that burners come with. i.e. Nero, Sonic Record & plenty of other software besides
    • Patching Software (Region boot, Region display and Copy Protection)

Because I'll be indexing it none need to read through all the guide to find what they are stuck with

I'm not 100% sure what way I'll do this I may yet keep these as seperate guides, instead of one huge indexed guide

maybe seperate guides:
    • Converting CD images guide (include what not to use) [to include as many methods as we know]
    • Burning CD images guide [to cover as much software as we know]
    • Patching guide [boot, display and protection]

guides we have anyway:
    • repairing cd images guide, but it could do with some extra information
    • mounting cd images guide for daemon tools

the isobuster guide I can add the other converting CD images method to
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-January-2007 at 10:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I converted a .img/.ccd/.cue playstation image to a .bin/.cue, and it worked fine.
    I loaded the image with daemon tools, then started up ISObuster, and ripped the data from the virtual CD onto a new disc image in a .bin and .cue file. I did this so I'd have one main file for the image (cue's just a track listing) because my burning program IMGBurn (chosen for it's freeware-ness ) only recognizes single file images.
    As I was walking down the stair,
    I met a man who wasn't there.
    He wasn't there again today.
    I wish, I wish he'd go away.

Thanks
    EP Points

Patching guide [boot, display and protection]

I can do that guide if you like, not a long or complicated process, infact I'm so bored I might even do it now

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FallenxAstaroth View Post
    Patching guide [boot, display and protection]

I can do that guide if you like, not a long or complicated process, infact I'm so bored I might even do it now

Sure why not lol yeah I know it's not hard, but now and then the Q gets asked.... how?

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

a particular case:
    clonecd always worked fine for making isos and burning psx cds,BUT,
    I lost my trust on it since "the alundra incident":
    I lost like 5 cds trying to properly burn alundra with clonecd,and I had no luck,
    the iso was ok,but clonecd burned it like a big collection of bad sectors,and the cd was unusable. the settings were the same that had always worked ok with all the games,so I don't know what happened.
    anyway,I converted the iso to bin and cue with isobuster and I burned it with cdrwin and the copy was perfect,no problems at all.
    so,the conclusion is: don't use clonecd to burn alundra.
    nothing

Thanks
    EP Points

IMO, CDRWin is the best for PSX isos, I personally believe that images should always be in bin/cue format (slightly biased of me ) but some games require patching and can usually only be done so in bin format. In cases where a format needs to be changed there are ways to do it, which have been mentioned above (I hate it when people make an image that is mdf, I mean some can only be accessed from a virtual drive )

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

lol I kinda agree with you there Theo

Patches are made for bin/cue format in general, it would be very unusual for them not to be for a bin/cue.

CDRwin is the best free method of burning and creating bin/cue cd images and bin/cue images have a huge compat with other burning software aswell, so why create images that are not as compatable.

Clone CD seems ok but it's not free, it also always creates bad sectors between tracks, basicly though it's still bin format for a different file ext, these are compatable with bin patches.

*.img's are the same as *.bin's with the exception of the bad sectors between tracks (these bad sectors should not effect the way the CD works though)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

WinISO and PowerISO, I believe, are the other ones that you shouldn't use.

And I second CDRWin as the best for PSX.
    Been using it for awhile now, and have never had a problem converting with it.
    And I convert every mdf/mds and nrg PSX ISO that I find to bin/cue.

Also, you don't have to convert .img to .bin if you already have the .cue file.
    Just rename the .img to .bin and edit the first line in the .cue file accordingly, and delete the .sub file.
    Because as Zorlon said, .img and .bin are the same format, just with a different extension.

Btw, are there any PSX games that need a .sub file to work?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin View Post
    WinISO and PowerISO, I believe, are the other ones that you shouldn't use.

And I second CDRWin as the best for PSX.
    Been using it for awhile now, and have never had a problem converting with it.
    And I convert every mdf/mds and nrg PSX ISO that I find to bin/cue.

Also, you don't have to convert .img to .bin if you already have the .cue file.
    Just rename the .img to .bin and edit the first line in the .cue file accordingly, and delete the .sub file.
    Because as Zorlon said, .img and .bin are the same format, just with a different extension.

Btw, are there any PSX games that need a .sub file to work?
    Yay thanks there the ones I forgot the name of.....

No, there are no psx games that require a *.sub file even with this file the protected games still need to be modified to work, ePSXe has patches built in for most of those but need patching for use on a PSX/PSone or PS2 using whatever method to play backups

P.S. CDRWin also copies the sub data and stores it directly into the *.bin providing your reader can read sub data, clone CD will create a *.sub file even if your CD reader/burner can or can not read sub data...

Yes you can do exactly that... just rename the img and edit the cue... actually you don't even need to do that aslong as the cue sheet points to the correct files you can name the binary image file with whatever extention you wanted... e.g. MyCD.ftw and have the cue sheet point to that aslong as the format is still a binary image file, it will still mount and you will still be able to burn from the cue sheet... but that would just confuse users specially ePSXe users that point ePSXe directly to Binary images instead of mounting cue sheets
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-January-2007 at 11:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]