Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Swap Magic Problem

Thanks

I have my own credit card, it's just that the last two times I purchaced anything online, I was ripped off. I haven't bought anything online since, as I'm too afraid it'll happen again.

When I said I was "unable" to purchace anything online, I meant that I'm a wimp and whenever I consider it I remember the times I was ripped off and always end up deciding against it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

What you need to use the Swap Magic discs on a slimline PS2 is either the special fliptop for it of the 3 plastic/aluminium pieces you install in your PS2 (no need to open it) called Magic Keys/Switch.

Thanks

So complicated. Either way, I'll have to spend some money. Well, with the fliptop, where exacally do you put it o nthe PS2?

Thanks

www.modchip.ca or .com same site different currency. very safe. they phoned my house and since my mom wasnt home (it was her card) they took her work number and called her at work to validate the purchase.

install tuorial here: http://ultimateconsoleguides.com/Sli...pTopmanual.pdf

Thanks

Well, thank you both very much for the help. There's nothin I can do now as I have no money, but I'll try out a method or two that you've shown me once I'm able. Thank you again

im nowhere, but at the same time im everywhere. I am but an enigma in this world
    Thanks

I was thinking about buying magickeys myself recently, but I don't know if it is a good idea or not. Between fliptop and magickeys, what do you all suggest?

Thanx a lot to DSerge for this sig.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FallenxAstaroth View Post
    404 not found

could you copy and paste it? as i would like to know aswell.

Thanks

Sorry to bring this up again, but I needed to make sure, and here seemed the best place to ask.

Well, I'm getting a new PS2 eventually (probably a slim PS2 this time), and since I have an overwhelming amount of burned games, I pretty much NEED to get the fliptop. (I have several hundred games, and roughly 60-70% of them are burned)

However, after doing more research on the fliptop and it's installation, I was told that it's not recommended because it's actully difficult to install and you have a high chance of completely ruining a new PS2 you just spent money on.

Obviously, I'm wary of this. I really can't afford to spend over a hundred dollars (and be aware that a hundred dollars for me is something I don't even see in the course of a year's time, with the exception of special circumstances) on a system only to have the whole thing stop working the very same day due to my making a mistake installing the fliptop.

Is it really that difficult? I head there was something about a ribbon that's easy to break and messes up the whole system if you do. Or a way to install it incorrectly so that it tears up the inside of the system.

I'm pretty sure a modchip is out of the question since I have no idea where I could get it installed. Nor do I have any experience installing anything like that myself, so I'd most likely botch it up.

is there any more information anyone here could give me before I do this? I'm sorry for bringing this up yet again.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Is it really that difficult? I head there was something about a ribbon that's easy to break and messes up the whole system if you do. Or a way to install it incorrectly so that it tears up the inside of the system.
    It's not difficult at all with a slim PS2. x_X All that you need to do is tape down a few buttons inside the console; you're not risking anything unless you're very stupid, or very clumsy.

I think some of the horror stories that you've heard are probably due to the crappiness of the early model lasers. I remember that when the swap trick was first being used with slim PS2s, people's consoles were dying in droves, and some people blamed the trick itself (as if a few bits of sellotape could actually cause that much damage). It eventually emerged that it was just that the early model slimlines had incredibly dodgy lasers.

As for your 'not a PS2 disc' message, does it happen with all games, or just a few? Are they games that you've been able to boot before? I know that certain games (Suikoden III, Xenosaga II, Wild ARMs IV and V, a bunch of others) require a double swap using a utility like DVDLoader, or else they'll give you a 'not a valid disc' message.
    Last edited by Harmony; 6th-February-2007 at 10:04.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

the slim is easy to mod the bulky one is not so easy to mod

the slim does not have such a great laser in it though so the bulky model with flip lid is the best way to go but yeah it I can see it being easy to screw up

Harmony the double swap is only for older versions of swap magic the newer versions 3.6 + don't need extra swaps for those games
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-February-2007 at 10:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Harmony the double swap is only for older versions of swap magic the newer versions 3.6 + don't need extra swaps for those games
    Aha, my mistake. I still only have the older version, so...
    Last edited by Harmony; 6th-February-2007 at 10:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

Heh, yeah I have an older version of SM too and I had to install the fliptop in an old model too

Anyways, Guy, the Magic Keys/Switch is another option for a slim line PS2 and that implies not opening the console if that's what you don't want to do.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Anyways, Guy, the Magic Keys/Switch is another option for a slim line PS2 and that implies not opening the console if that's what you don't want to do.
    Most Slim models have the back switch blocked so you would still need to pop open the case for that most the time now aswell unless you happen to grab an older slim model

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

That's something I didn't know, I guess there's no big difference then unless he gets an old slim model.