Page 80 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1539

Thread: The all encompassing "Suggest a game!" thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've played RE4. I like it better on PS2 (or emulator) because I'm not getting confused with controls. If you bind buttons on emulator or have game on console you know which button is X or L1. RE4 on PC is total mess if you look at controls. QTE, game says 'press 1 + 2', sure, you press it and die; if you look at controls menu (in separate config utility) there is 1 as aim and 2 as knife, etc. You need to memorize all controls, there is no 'press Q + E' or 'knife + aim', same thing with interaction 'press 3', 3? Oh, Use button...

___
    And you can always set 1080p in PCSX2.

___
    Seriously PS2 doesn't have more games similar to RE4?
    Last edited by ponury_indor; 24th-September-2013 at 20:16.

Thanks
    EP Points

Can someone suggest any games (psx,psp,ps2,wii) A Turn Base strategy game like Fire Emblem Series or TRS.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Vandal Hearts Series of is a good one to start with

I don't play too many of those but what I played of Vandal Hearts I enjoyed

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    The Vandal Hearts Series of is a good one to start with

I don't play too many of those but what I played of Vandal Hearts I enjoyed
    Great, thanks

Thanks

Default Best obscure Gamecube games

I just got my new Gamecube! And to celebrate, I'm gonna buy a crapton of obscure gems for it. Only problem, I don't know any...

So this is where you come in. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to share any obscure classics you may know of in this thread, and hopefully it will become a huge collection for all to see, and a refrence for people to find new games to play.

Thanks
    EP Points

@zorlon : any other suggestion for psx games? or nds?

A game more like Suikoden

(just played suikoden III and I think I didnt like it)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Suikoden are games of there own combination that is not really re produced in any other games that I have seen (3 and 4 are good but you do need to get used to the new graphics 5 I don't think I played through, it is something to go back to though I guess)

But I also loved the Shining Force Games (start out on Megadrive/Genesis) Shining Force 1 and 2 (SF1 has a remake for GBA), the 3rd one is for the Saturn and comes in 3 parts and a premium disc (there are also a bunch of side games that have no RPG parts, pure strategy games, Shining Force CD for the Mega/Sega CD and Shining Force III for the Game Gear (Shining Force 1 and 2 for the GameGear are the first 2 Stories in Shining Force CD, the CD has 2 extra ones as well though))

Asides from the side story Shining Force games the main series is a mix of RPG adventuring (exploring towns finding items talking to town folk to progress the story and find extra players, a bit like suikoden) and turn based strategy battles (using up to (I think it is 12) hero's in the battles) there is not 108 of them though but there are hidden ones, Shining Force III is a much bigger game to the 1st and 2nd one so there are more characters, not sure on the grand total though (the first 2 parts of 3 tell the same story from 2 different armies point of view, the 3rd part brings everything together and continues on from both 1 and 2, the prem disc is just bonus stuff but you can use your final army to fight through extra battles on that disc)

The side story games are much the same as the main series but instead of exploring towns ect you are just told what you are doing between battles but there is a shop ect, during the battles you can find hidden items and new hidden heroes to recruit (usually 3 hidden heroes through each of these side games) the rrest of the heroes join regardless throughout game play

P.S. Shining Force III [Saturn] (all discs) are translated from Jap (only disc 1 ever had an english release) Shining Force III [GameGear] also has a translation done (the other games are english anyway [the gamegear SF1 is jap but as that is part of Shining Force CD])

The megadrive ones should be playable on DS (PS2 they are not, the first one has a bug in the PGen that was never fixed and stopped the progress of the game)

Meh as you are emulating anyway... I don't know why you are limiting yourself to 2 consoles so I will re-list the games

Shining in the Darkness (Megadrive) [it is not the same type of game it's dungeon FPS type RPG] [You may not like that game so just jump to the next one , it is not a game that needs to be played]
    Shining Force (Megadrive and GBA) [GBA version features extra game play and improved graphics]
    Shining Force II (Megadrive) new story but does has very minor references to the first one
    Shining Force CD (Sega CD) 2 short stories plus 2 extra ones
    Shining Force Gaiden 1 & 2 (GameGear) these are the first 2 stories on the CD version above (these do continue on from each other, after SF MD and before SF2 MD)
    Shining Force Gaiden III (GameGear) [Translated] this story is just before SF2 MD and after SF MD & SF1/2 GG (it can be played without spoiling the SFCD/SF1/2GG)
    Shining Force III (Saturn) it's 3 games [Translated] the first one was english anyway but parts 2 and 3 are jap only but have a translation as does the premium disc (the prem disc is silly hard though, but has no real story it is just bonus battles, still fun until it is silly hard so the first few battles are fine it's only the last few that are silly hard)

There is a game for the PSX that has very much the feel of Shining Force but is a pure RPG so no stratagy battles (it is by the same developers as Shining Force so it's not a shock it has the same feel to it, I forget the name of it at the moment though)

There are Shining games for the PS2 & GBA (asides from the Shining Force remake on GBA) but the game play is Action RPG rather than the original strategy that fans come to love, there is even a Shining game for the NDS but is Jap only and yet to be translated

Most Sega consoles are emulated by Fusion aka Kega Fusion up Sega computer systems (pre mastersystem/gamegear) up to CD-32X games (actually Fusion is the only emulator to support CD-32X games)
    Saturn is emulated best with SSF

a great strategy game is on a less known system called the NEC PC98 (a japanese computer system) the series is called Farland Story, parts 1 to 6 are fully translated to english (that 6 games not 6 parts of 1 game)

I don't remember the exact emulator I used for those mind off hand there are a few PC98 emulators around (I possibly used Neko Project II though, but at the time I was testing all sort of emulators for that system)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 25th-November-2013 at 13:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Suikoden are games of there own combination that is not really re produced in any other games that I have seen (3 and 4 are good but you do need to get used to the new graphics 5 I don't think I played through, it is something to go back to though I guess)

But I also loved the Shining Force Games (start out on Megadrive/Genesis) Shining Force 1 and 2 (SF1 has a remake for GBA), the 3rd one is for the Saturn and comes in 3 parts and a premium disc (there are also a bunch of side games that have no RPG parts, pure strategy games, Shining Force CD for the Mega/Sega CD and Shining Force III for the Game Gear (Shining Force 1 and 2 for the GameGear are the first 2 Stories in Shining Force CD, the CD has 2 extra ones as well though))

Asides from the side story Shining Force games the main series is a mix of RPG adventuring (exploring towns finding items talking to town folk to progress the story and find extra players, a bit like suikoden) and turn based strategy battles (using up to (I think it is 12) hero's in the battles) there is not 108 of them though but there are hidden ones, Shining Force III is a much bigger game to the 1st and 2nd one so there are more characters, not sure on the grand total though (the first 2 parts of 3 tell the same story from 2 different armies point of view, the 3rd part brings everything together and continues on from both 1 and 2, the prem disc is just bonus stuff but you can use your final army to fight through extra battles on that disc)

The side story games are much the same as the main series but instead of exploring towns ect you are just told what you are doing between battles but there is a shop ect, during the battles you can find hidden items and new hidden heroes to recruit (usually 3 hidden heroes through each of these side games) the rrest of the heroes join regardless throughout game play

P.S. Shining Force III [Saturn] (all discs) are translated from Jap (only disc 1 ever had an english release) Shining Force III [GameGear] also has a translation done (the other games are english anyway [the gamegear SF1 is jap but as that is part of Shining Force CD])

The megadrive ones should be playable on DS (PS2 they are not, the first one has a bug in the PGen that was never fixed and stopped the progress of the game)

Meh as you are emulating anyway... I don't know why you are limiting yourself to 2 consoles so I will re-list the games

Shining in the Darkness (Megadrive) [it is not the same type of game it's dungeon FPS type RPG] [You may not like that game so just jump to the next one , it is not a game that needs to be played]
    Shining Force (Megadrive and GBA) [GBA version features extra game play and improved graphics]
    Shining Force II (Megadrive) new story but does has very minor references to the first one
    Shining Force CD (Sega CD) 2 short stories plus 2 extra ones
    Shining Force Gaiden 1 & 2 (GameGear) these are the first 2 stories on the CD version above (these do continue on from each other, after SF MD and before SF2 MD)
    Shining Force Gaiden III (GameGear) [Translated] this story is just before SF2 MD and after SF MD & SF1/2 GG (it can be played without spoiling the SFCD/SF1/2GG)
    Shining Force III (Saturn) it's 3 games [Translated] the first one was english anyway but parts 2 and 3 are jap only but have a translation as does the premium disc (the prem disc is silly hard though, but has no real story it is just bonus battles, still fun until it is silly hard so the first few battles are fine it's only the last few that are silly hard)

There is a game for the PSX that has very much the feel of Shining Force but is a pure RPG so no stratagy battles (it is by the same developers as Shining Force so it's not a shock it has the same feel to it, I forget the name of it at the moment though)

There are Shining games for the PS2 & GBA (asides from the Shining Force remake on GBA) but the game play is Action RPG rather than the original strategy that fans come to love, there is even a Shining game for the NDS but is Jap only and yet to be translated

Most Sega consoles are emulated by Fusion aka Kega Fusion up Sega computer systems (pre mastersystem/gamegear) up to CD-32X games (actually Fusion is the only emulator to support CD-32X games)
    Saturn is emulated best with SSF

a great strategy game is on a less known system called the NEC PC98 (a japanese computer system) the series is called Farland Story, parts 1 to 6 are fully translated to english (that 6 games not 6 parts of 1 game)

I don't remember the exact emulator I used for those mind off hand there are a few PC98 emulators around (I possibly used Neko Project II though, but at the time I was testing all sort of emulators for that system)

Thanks zorlon

Thanks
    EP Points

Anyone who's a fan of third person shooters (say, the gears of war series) will probably enjoy Vanquish on the PS3/360. The weapon system is somewhat similar to the one in Gears of War (minus the iconic reload speed timing deal), with ways to upgrade your weapons as you go along. The cover mechanics are also similar and work very well overall.

My only real gripe with it is that I'm ~2/3 of the way through and still have no idea what the story is exactly, mostly because the majority of the story seems to be explained in the loading screens which flash by way too fast to read them at all. That aside, the futuristic sci-fi setting, huge bosses and the abilities your character has definitely makes it worth the $10 you can find it for used
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lrichard2112 View Post
    Thanks zorlon
    No problem, I did forget to mention to enable the extra memory card things for both Shining Force CD (Sega CD) and Shining Force III (Saturn)

For CD it lets you play the 3rd and forth story as it requires a save from both the first 2 stories on that disc,
    For III it lets you import your save from Part 1 in Part 2 and Part 2 in Part 3 and part 3 to the prem disc, the internal save memory for both is a little too small to enable that on it's own.
    For III it is a very very cool thing it does keep your stats and it also keeps your story choices, the game can go in a few directions through the 3 games that make up Shining Force III

You know where to ask though if your not sure how to set that all up
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-December-2013 at 22:42.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

@Zorlon : why is it that SSF is so hard to configure? I tried a lot of tutorial but nothings working. I think I'm gonna give on this one.

Thanks
    EP Points

So I caved and got myself a 3DS XL. In other words, recommend me some 3DS games please.

Oh and I don't care about Pokemans, so don't bother mentioning that. Anything else is fair game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    So I caved and got myself a 3DS XL. In other words, recommend me some 3DS games please.

Oh and I don't care about Pokemans, so don't bother mentioning that. Anything else is fair game.
    Good purchase, Gare!

This one is going to be obvious, Zero Escape VLR

Thanks
    EP Points

The Legend of Zelda:A Link Between Worlds is fantastic.
    I personally would recommend Fire Emblem:Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei IV, the latter only if you have some experiences regarding the MegaTen games, otherwise you may find the steep learning curve and high difficulty off-setting.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lrichard2112 View Post
    @Zorlon : why is it that SSF is so hard to configure? I tried a lot of tutorial but nothings working. I think I'm gonna give on this one.
    It's not

try posting in everything emulation or reading the stuck guides thread there that has a guide for SSF in it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]